PDA

View Full Version : Is Star Wars collecting dying off slowly?

Lord Sith
Mar 25th, 2000, 07:39:59 AM
I've noticed that more and more people are selling off their collection of Star Wars. Many of them I spoke to are just too exhausted from collecting the endless number of Star Wars toys that Kenner keeps producing. This is especially true for the 3.5" figures. So what do you all think? Please feel free to comment. :)

Lord Sith
Mar 25th, 2000, 07:56:26 AM
Why isn't my smilely face coming out right? I've checked the settings and the 'emoticons' are enabled. 8o

Jedieb
Mar 25th, 2000, 06:15:30 PM
There are quite a few people that are fed up with the hobby right now. We've had a great run since 95. This past year should have been a collector's dream. But I think many people were put off by the higher prices, scarcity, and the COMMTech chips.

Many collectors were able to get every figure they wanted on May 3rd and may have expected the trend to continue. A lot of new people came into the hobby and may have been lulled by May 3rd. That was a rare event and something I thought Kenner and the other licencies did a great job with. The strict sales date imposed by Lucasfilm was a great idea. It meant you'd find just about everything you'd want that first day (Except for the 12" Darth Maul). But for many it's been downhill ever since.

For the past few months retailers have ordered less and less new product and Ric Olie and his peg warming pals continue to collect dust. So some collectors have either given up on the line or decided its time to sell off what they have. My advice would be to hang in there and exercise some patience. The video is just around the corner and things will pick up again. You'll always have to deal with scaplers and van heads but that's the nature of the hooby. Use the net (etoys, TRU, toytime), find some trading buddies, scan ebay for the occsional deal, and yes, you can even order from the fan club.

And remember, collect what you like. Collecting should be fun, not a job. And don't collect to invest. You'll soon realize the return on your investment just isn't worth it. You want an investment, buy a CD or some savings bonds. They're a lot less work and much safer. Just have fun and MTFBWY!

Jedi Master Kyle
Mar 25th, 2000, 07:35:54 PM
or come to canada where we've been basically been forced to quit because nothing new ever comes out!

Lord Sith
Mar 25th, 2000, 11:31:03 PM
Yes, I agree with Jedieb. Collecting should be fun and not a job. Unfortunately, many people have forgotten the real meaning and fun of collecting. They are collecting or "investing", and just hoping that they will make "tons" of money in the future! Buying up what they see on the shelves and leaving geniune collectors and kids empty handed. After which, jacking up the prices on the secondary market. I think most have realised that their so-called investment are not bringing in the money.

As for Jedi Master Kyle, such things happen when the country is big. Therefore, it is important that Hasbro(Canada) has a good distribution system. Sadly, this is not happening. What I could suggest is writing in to them and explain the current situation. Hopefully, things could be better. However, when the country is small, there are also problems. For example in Singapore where I am living, the market is small and Hasbro(Singapore) is very reluctant to bring in most of the collection. Thus, focing many of us outsourcing them overeseas or from friends in other countries. Also this is when scaplers will start taking the opportunity to jack up the prices.

For me, I personally source my toys from Hong Kong. They toys are released much earlier in Hong Kong and cheaper too. This is because the factory is in China and dealers in Hong Kong will be able to get hold of them earlier and at a cheaper cost.

Bromine
Mar 26th, 2000, 04:58:57 AM
I think the main reason a lot of "collectors" dropped out was that they were thinking in terms of rarity and investment. I can't begin to count the number of times I heard the new line compared to the vintage one in terms of dollars and sense, and this was such baloney because the very first action figures to be released in 1977 were rare because no one bought them at first. One look at the crowds on May 3 should have told people that EVERYONE and his dog wre collecting now, and these figures would never be as rare as the original line.

Another problem with the hobby is market saturation. Before, it was exciting to see what new toy they were coming out with. Now, you basically know for a fact that every character is going to have 5+ action figure variations, and every vehicle, creature, etc. will be lining the shelves; it's only a question of when. There's just too much out there. Nothing seems special anymore.

Lord Sith
Mar 26th, 2000, 07:44:38 AM
Yup! Everyone and his dog are collecting them! Ridiculous at times! And yes I do agree with you that the market is very saturated now. The fun and beauty of collecting them have basicaly died. It is really a pity. The question I always ask myself is when will this end? I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Not forgetting there will be EP2 and EP3 coming up in the next few years. When will this end? Anyone care to enlighten me?

Jedi Master Kyle
Mar 26th, 2000, 02:37:55 PM
when hasbro decides that the bottom line isn't the only important factor anymore.

Lord Sith
Mar 26th, 2000, 08:27:28 PM
Agree!

Bromine
Mar 27th, 2000, 04:11:51 AM
Actually, I don't know if you can really blame Hasbro very much. I mean, everyone screamed for SW stuff, they gave it to us. There were shortages and hoarding, so everyone screamed for truckloads more. When May 3 rolled around, Hasbro delivered enough for everyone, and no shortpacks. Now, it turns out that they sent too much and stores don't want a lot of the new stuff.
Also, there's the CommTech chip thing, but I think overall Hasbro is trying to give us what we want. Problem is, they're trying to give us a lot of figures instead of quality. Although, a lot of collectors don't care about quality since they never take the figures off the cards.
Okay, maybe it IS their fault!:)

Lord Sith
Mar 27th, 2000, 08:24:10 AM
:) :) I think Hasbro should start producing more quality toys again. Nowadays they are just releasing tons and tons! And like you said most end up on the shelves. Also I never liked the Commtech thingy! I think we are paying more for nothing. :) :)

Bromine
Mar 27th, 2000, 09:09:48 AM
What bugs me is that non-English speaking places get a bonus droid instead of a chip! I mean, it's like, they went through all this trouble to invent the commtech chip and reader, when I think we'd all be happier with a bonus droid. Sure, it's not fully articulated, but a droid's a droid.:)

Lord Marrak
Apr 2nd, 2000, 11:25:58 AM
I was born to collect star wars figures... unfortunately.. like prolly a lot of us... I used to play with them.. found that heads fell off due to wear... guns even figures.. (god knows where my vintage Wicket went orf two) went missing.

Now, due to the special addition.. I've started my "Empire" and I don't intend to quit until I have a few foto's of scenes of a "New Empire" so to speak... incuding the AT-AT's.

Obviously there are a few things I must get to create my Imperial onslaught, for instance the Imperial Shuttle. THAT would be my next buy now that I have two Imperal AT-AT's.. (which cost a hell of a lot I might add)

Being in australia, I go thru a W.A company called Figures Direct... be warned.. this is what us Australian Collectors are facing and have been faced with price wise. If you want to get a shock or just take a look as to what they have on the web site (which has only just been released), then I suggest taking a look at http://www.figuresdirect.com.au

I've got most of my gear thru them as I've sed, there's still a few figures that I'll have to get including Rebel figures such as the Endor Soldier (Just to add that much more to a foto taken in bush land of two Imperial AT-AT's)

Of course, I'll have to have a few storm troopers running around finishing off the Rebel scum that has infected the surrounding bushland, but there's something that everyone NEW must happen =OP

Lord Marrak
Apr 2nd, 2000, 11:26:32 AM
I was born to collect star wars figures... unfortunately.. like prolly a lot of us... I used to play with them.. found that heads fell off due to wear... guns even figures.. (god knows where my vintage Wicket went orf two) went missing.

Now, due to the special addition.. I've started my "Empire" and I don't intend to quit until I have a few foto's of scenes of a "New Empire" so to speak... incuding the AT-AT's.

Obviously there are a few things I must get to create my Imperial onslaught, for instance the Imperial Shuttle. THAT would be my next buy now that I have two Imperal AT-AT's.. (which cost a hell of a lot I might add)

Being in australia, I go thru a W.A company called Figures Direct... be warned.. this is what us Australian Collectors are facing and have been faced with price wise. If you want to get a shock or just take a look as to what they have on the web site (which has only just been released), then I suggest taking a look at www.figuresdirect.com.au (http://www.figuresdirect.com.au)

I've got most of my gear thru them as I've sed, there's still a few figures that I'll have to get including Rebel figures such as the Endor Soldier (Just to add that much more to a foto taken in bush land of two Imperial AT-AT's)

Of course, I'll have to have a few storm troopers running around finishing off the Rebel scum that has infected the surrounding bushland, but there's something that everyone NEW must happen =OP

jhj316
Apr 9th, 2000, 01:07:35 AM
here in georgia, finding new figures is next to impossible, considering all the "dead stock" (that's what i call it) on the shelves. hologram sidious, naboo security, R2D2 hologram, leia resculpt, vader interagator, new stormtrooper, etc. are complete no-shows. well, unless your'e lucky and beat out the losers (meaning toy dealers, not collectors) who are waiting outside the stores EVERY morning around here. i'm not kidding...my dad collects hot wheels and he'll see the same dealers outside his local walmart & toys r us. hasbro could have made so much money off me this year, but now when i find anything, i only buy one (i don't do the open one, keep another sealed for display thing anymore). if my prop replica/costume habit continues on the path its going, i may just give up the toy collecting. the problem is...i don't want to!
just my opinion/ranting!:)