PDA

View Full Version : Are store displays valuable?

Probe Droid
Mar 9th, 2000, 03:55:17 PM
A two-part question:

Forgive what may be a remarkably obvious question, but just how high/low a level do store displays rank in terms of collectability?

Also, anyone know if the full-size, heavy cardboard displays by DK Publishing were available for sale commercially, or if they were strictly limited to stores?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

bronto
Mar 9th, 2000, 04:18:15 PM
DK's displays were available to the public. When you saw these displays in the stores they should of had order forms attached to them allowing you to purchase a Destroyer Droid, R2-D2, etc. Various magazines also had ads for these displays. I think the price for each display was around $100.00.

Does anyone know if DK has a website to buy these?

Bromine
Mar 9th, 2000, 08:28:23 PM
I think the offer's expired, but I could be wrong.

Jedieb
Mar 11th, 2000, 08:28:40 PM
Store displays for vintage SW merchandise can be found in price guides and on ebay all the time. So if vintage displays are worth something you can bet that TPM displays will be worth something in the future. Many of them get raffled by stores all the time. I know last summer a KFC sold one of its banners for charity. It fethched somewhere in the neighborhood of $100.

I've got a cardboard standup from the "One Last Time" video re-release that came out just before the Special Editions. It's one of my favorite pieces and it makes a great display piece just outside of my SW room. If I put it up on ebay I might get anywhere from $5 to $50. Who knows. Put I paid $0 for it and that's what I'd advise anyone looking for store displays to pay. How do you get such a great deal? By being polite. Just ask a clerk or a manager about a display you're interested in. Sometimes you just might get lucky.
MTFBWY

Oh, and to answer your first question. How high do they rank in terms of collectability? If you like the item, then that's all that matters. Don't worry about what others may think of it. It's SW, it's cool, you like it, it's a great collectable. :)

sparksterboy
Mar 21st, 2000, 08:45:44 AM
wow. what a topic for today. I know this guy who works at a toy staore and there were these cool Amidala toy stands and book stands. Like the stand ups they have.
well he took it home and offered it to little old me! wa hoooo!! as of Tommorow Im going to have Amadala hold all my books for me...how lucky i am. :) may the force be with your cardboard statues.

Jedi Master Kyle
Mar 21st, 2000, 11:35:12 PM
i hope they're worth something because i just scored a small ep1 promo standee for the videos on apr.4!

Albi Wan Yankovi
Mar 25th, 2000, 02:01:41 PM
I've got a crap load of store displays and give aways (like the Yoda below), so I hope they're worth something, 'cause I'll be rolling in dough.

Jedieb
Mar 25th, 2000, 06:03:05 PM
That Yoda is AWESOME!!!!!! Why would you ever want to sell that!!

Albi Wan Yankovi
Mar 26th, 2000, 02:01:14 AM
I don't, Jedieb, don't worry, I don't. First thing I ever won...

Albi Wan Yankovi
Apr 4th, 2000, 04:30:19 PM
Now's the perfect time to grab these things. I nabbed a thing from TRU, they were throwing them away. So with that happening, it's your chance to get them for free. But stay away from the Summerville, SC Wal Marts, that's my territory.

WarlordATF
May 1st, 2000, 11:05:02 PM
I've got a near mint never assembled Pod Racer TPM Video display.This thing is over 10 feet long! And
a Pod Racer and E1TPM PC Game display I'm thinking of putting them up for auction so i can buy more figures/playsets/ships.How much do ya think i should start the bidding at?You can View em at hometown.aol.com/warlordatf/index.html (http://hometown.aol.com/warlordatf/index.html)
Thanks!

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 2nd, 2000, 09:49:28 PM
I think you should start by giving it to me ;)