PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Target...

Jedieb
Aug 8th, 2000, 10:33:06 AM
My Target Story
I went by my local Target on Sunday all hyped up and was instantly crushed when I saw that NOTHING had been done in toy section. I asked an employee if he could go back into the stock room and check on the Y-Wing and the Speeder. Since they're marked 8/6, I figured if he found them I'd be in luck. He comes back 15 minutes later and says he can't find them. But then he tells me to hold on that he's going to check with someone about them. So I figure that I'm in luck because I'm dealing with a considerate and thoughtful employee. He tells me that they'll be setting the toy aisle on Tuesday and that they have too much stuff on the palettes in the storeroom to find anything. I figure okay, I'll come by on Tuesday morning.
Cut to Monday morning. I just couldn't wait so I decided to check Target as soon as it opened, just in case. I got there at 8AM and the store had apparently opened a couple of minutes early. I get to the toy section and the Y-Wings and Speeders had already been set up!! They were literally flying off the shelves in front of me. A 50-ish couple snagged the last Speeder on the shelf right in front of me! And there were only 2 Y-Wings left!! (Neither of the boxes were mint, but I knew I'd be opening the Y-Wing anyway so what the hell.)
LYING TARGET BASTARDS!!!!!!!!! There were only 2 possible explanations; 1) The aisle had been reset late Sunday or 2) Some serious back door deals went down before the store even opened. Either way I was lied to, and I doubt I was the only collector this happened to. Luckily, I asked a stock person if there were any more Speeders in stock. Right at the end of the aisle there was a stack of unopened merchandise to be put out and there was 1 box of Speeders left. (There are 2 per box, these things are HUGE!) The stock person opened the box and handed me the Speeder and I made my way to the register. $73.13 later I'm headed home with my goodies but I'm in a pretty bad mood because I'd been lied to. If I hadn't trusted my gut I'd of shown up Tuesday morning and seen nothing but EMPTY shelves. (And they're already empty, I went by to pick up some milk around 3PM and there was nothing left.)

Moral of the story; Trust No One!!! >(

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 8th, 2000, 11:27:03 AM
Just like Stone Cold says! Don't trust anyone! Maybe you were dealing with a self serving employee who wanted some for himself, or wanted to keep as many people away as possible so that his friends could grab the stuff!
Either way, I think you should go down there, find the little bastard that lied to you and give him a swift kick in the arse!

IndianaJones
Aug 8th, 2000, 12:41:41 PM
I'll be going into Target next week. There isn't one close to me, but I'm going down to North Carolina to visit my family, and there is a Target in Virginia Beach that almost always has what I'm looking for. Last time I was there, they had 1 whole aile just for Star Wars, and most of it was Don Post helmets at $30 a pop. I was going to get a Boba Fett, just because it was Boba Fett, but didn't-
My brother took one of the Scout Trooper Helmets and walked around the store with it on... He would walk up to people or groups of people in conversation and just stand there looking at them, not speaking. It was hillarious, because people would just start laughing or give an odd look. And while I ws there I picked up a Felicity Shagwell action figure, for $9 when every where else did not have them and sold Austin Powers figs for $13-$15 per fig.

Personally, I love Target, I just wish I had one within 15 min ride, like everything else is, unfortunately the closest one is about an hr and a half away. So, I go to one 9 hrs away, 3 times a year.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 8th, 2000, 01:51:55 PM
Great! Every time I put one of those helmets on, I get $#1T from the employees telling me they aren't to wear in the store and that there have been complaints that once people buy them, they bring them home and their kids get lice! Needless to say, I don't wear them anymore. You may want to tell your brother that!

Bromine
Aug 8th, 2000, 05:08:09 PM
Okay, maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think the Target employee is neccessarily a liar or anything. If the speeders mysteriously went missing I'd be suspicious, but it sounds like the guy asked his manager or someone, and they said "I can't find them in the back because it's too jammed. I'll look through it all tonight. Tell the customer we'll probably set them out on Tuesday."
I've personally had this happen to me: Someone asked about a new product and I couldn't find it in the back because there was literally no room to move around back there and check all the boxes. My manager said he didn't know whereabouts they were so just tell the customer that they'll probably be out in a couple days. That night, the stock guys moved some stuff around and cleared a path. I found the boxes I was looking for plain as day. It's also possible there was confusion about when they(Target) were going to put stuff out, and perhaps only the manager knew and he wasn't in.
It still stinks, though, but I'm just saying you weren't neccessarily lied to. The employee could have told you to keep checking back every day, or come back when his manager was there, or that he just didn't know for sure, but I find some customers get annoyed unless they are given a definite answer right away.

Anyway, glad to hear you got one!:)

Jedieb
Aug 9th, 2000, 11:34:43 AM
It's possible I wasn't lied to, but it's much more fun to think I was lied to. I get to vent more that way.;) I don't think the first stock person lied to me either, but I do think that he was probably given misleading information on purpose. There's a big difference between Sunday night and Tuesday morning. I really feel bad for the collectors and kids who showed up on Tuesday or Monday afternoon only to be dissapointed.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 9th, 2000, 01:45:52 PM
give him a swift kick in the arse anyway!