PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Sears catalogs?

Bromine
Aug 16th, 2000, 04:16:58 AM
The TOY section! The TOY section! Yeesh...;)

I remember when I was a kid they had page after page of action figure lines, each one with a big diorama featuring all sorts of cool props and decorations, and EVERY action figure in the line. Nowadays, they show a picture of Luke and Chewie and say, "Star Wars action figures, ass'td........$9.99". That's just crap. Kids don't want to know how much the "Star Wars action figures, ass'td" are, they want to know how much the "Obi-Wan Kenobi with Lightsabre and Padawan Braid" is! They want to stare at the picture and obsess over getting it and show it to their parents a million times.
You want to breathe some life back into the action figure industry? Get some decent catalogue layouts!
Thank-you, I'm done.:)

jjwr
Aug 16th, 2000, 08:44:32 AM
Yeah those layouts were awesome, remember going through them every christmas figuring out what I wanted :)

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 16th, 2000, 01:32:30 PM
rememeber the sears wishbook? that thing ruled!

mez7
Aug 16th, 2000, 03:16:38 PM
those were great, you could cut out the figs you wanted and just leave them for your parents, then they also knew what to look for instead of getting you something from the toyline which sucked,

Jedieb
Aug 16th, 2000, 09:57:41 PM
ah the memories...
You know, if I ever saw one of those old catalogs at a show or on e-bay I might be tempted to pick one up.

Jedieb
Aug 16th, 2000, 10:04:09 PM
ah the memories...
You know, if I ever saw one of those old catalogs at a show or on e-bay I might be tempted to pick one up. Hey, here's a quick impersonation, see if you can figure out who I'm imitating.
mez7

"those were great, you could cut out the figs you wanted and just leave them for your parents, then they also knew what to look for instead of getting you something from the toyline which sucked,

There is no such thing as a bad Star Wars figure. LOL, the Star Wars figures are the greatest action figures ever made. To say anything otherwise is just completely ignorant. You obviously don't know much about collecting SW toys and you're certainly not a REAL SW fan.

*** THIS IS JUST AN IMPERSINATION!!*** I believe none of these things mez7. But doesn't that sound a bit familiar? Any guesses?

Bromine
Aug 16th, 2000, 10:08:37 PM
Uhmmmm...Jerry Lewis?;)

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 16th, 2000, 10:42:54 PM
Jedieb, that was a pretty convincing impersonation!

mez7
Aug 17th, 2000, 07:16:36 PM
i have no clue??

but really i think haysbro has gone a bit overboard,
hoth chewie with white snow splotches?? cmon now thats just nuts,

Bromine
Aug 17th, 2000, 08:11:34 PM
Funny thing is, I remember some people raving about "Hoth Chewie" and anxiously awaiting his release. Personally, I don't see what that toy has that I can't accomplish with a regular Chewie and a bottle of White-Out.;) This is one variant they could've skipped easily.
As I've said before, I'd love it if Hasbro would just keep one or two versions of a figure and keep producing it for more than one wave. Instead, even when there's a figure you want, you have a narrow window of opportunity to get it before the next wave is out. Of course, I'm sure the variation lovers will disagree with me...

jjwr
Aug 18th, 2000, 07:49:54 AM
LOL Jedieb.....too bad he doesn't post in this forum.

Jedieb
Aug 19th, 2000, 10:08:20 AM
I liked the Hoth Chewie manily because he was such a vast improvement over the bulked up 95 version. And unlike the Boussh's prisoner version he was free of the the chain. But you're right Bro, a bottle of white out and same fancy brush work will give you the same results.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 19th, 2000, 12:46:56 PM
How many of those variations do you think we could have lived without. Granted, some of the redos were necessary because of the awful figs in '95, but if theyhad got it right the first time, the world would have been a much happier place! :)