PDA

View Full Version : Mega Action Figures=Mega Peg Warmers?

Jedieb
Aug 19th, 2000, 10:17:15 AM
I caught my first glimpse of this new scale this weekend and I'm sad to say I'm not that impressed. And I don't think many other collectors are either because these things aren't exactly flying off the shelves. By comparison, the early waves of POTJ are being snatched up faster than shrimp at a John Goodman & Roseanne seafood buffet challenge.

I passed on the figure mainly because I want more cloth on a figure if I'm going to pay $10. The Darth Maul that I saw had a cloth skirt but the top was plastic. And the scale just didn't "feel" right. Maybe it's the attachment that I have to the scale I grew up with back in the 70s and 80s, I don't know.

I think the highlight of this line will be the Destroyer Droid, especially if it's able to transform and roll. And if future figures are provided with more cloth accesories than I may change my mind about this scale, but for now I'm passing on these until I see something that blows me away. And from the sales performance that I've seen so far, I think many collectors are doing the same.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 19th, 2000, 12:48:55 PM
what do you mean by scale? the figs are larget or something?

Jedieb
Aug 19th, 2000, 10:31:08 PM
The Mega Action figures are around 6-8 inches tall and have more points of articulation than the regular 3 3/4" line. These new figures are about the same size as the Epic Force figures only they aren't tied down to the base and they're more articulated.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 19th, 2000, 10:47:38 PM
Cool, are they worth collecting? I mean not in terms if they'll be worth anything in the future, but if they're nice, and there's neat stuff about them. Not that they'll ever bring them to my neck of the woods...

Jedieb
Aug 20th, 2000, 11:38:45 AM
These should make it up to the Great White North eventually. If you saw Epic Force figures up there then you'll probably see these. As I said earlier, I don't think these are going to sell very well. Some of the figures are going to be pretty cool, like the Destroyer Droid, but I just wasn't that impressed with the Maul that I saw. When you finally do see them judge them for yourself. If you love them, then great, collect them and display them to your heart's content. I'm going to be very picky with this scale.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 20th, 2000, 02:17:39 PM
I doubt I'll collect them.
a- no money!
b- no place to put them!
c- only some of the epic force figs made it here, so I won't count on seeing them here.

Bromine
Aug 23rd, 2000, 12:14:59 AM
I guess they're trying to fill the gap in price between the 4" line and the 12" dolls, but I really don't see the need. If I wanted extra articulation and detail, I'd go for the 12" line.

IndianaJones
Aug 23rd, 2000, 10:31:46 AM
I saw the Maul, QuiGon, and Obi Wan, and I agree, very unimpressive. QuiGon has a dumb look on his face, and they just look very out of place. I've said it before, I'm not one for multiple variations of figures, unless they have a significance to a scene/moment in the film.

Example:

Good variation: Luke Skywalker in Tatooine garb, X-Wing, Bespin, Cerimonial.

Bad: Luke in Tattoine with Hat and gun
or

Nearly anything that came from the late TMNT line.

For cloth, I'm quite pleased with the Darth Maul with Sith Speeder. The top cloak is entirely cloth, very nice.

SithLord323
Aug 23rd, 2000, 12:28:26 PM
JMK-

You can find all the details about the new line at SirSteve's site:

www.figures.com/databases...rticle=699 (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=14&show_article=699)

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 23rd, 2000, 12:56:48 PM
Cool, thanks. I think these are very unimpressive figs. Another lame attempt to make $$$.

SithLord323
Aug 23rd, 2000, 01:38:15 PM
I just got the Maul fig. I'm very happy with it. But, I'm a big Maul freak and have tons of Maul krell, so I guess you have to take that into consideration.

Jedieb
Aug 23rd, 2000, 06:46:35 PM
You're going to love the 12" Maul with Speeder Bike. The pics I've seen of it look quite impressive. I'll probably end up buying that figure.

SithLord323
Aug 24th, 2000, 12:10:24 PM
Did you mean that they're coming out with a 12" Maul and Sith Speeder? That would be awesome! I just hope its not some dumb exclusive. That would f***ing suck!

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 24th, 2000, 01:52:08 PM
That would be one of the coolest toys ever!

IndianaJones
Aug 25th, 2000, 09:19:51 AM
I also saw in a toy magazine a 12 inch Maul that blows/splits apart at the waist and a 12 inch Vader with a severable hand, the Vader hand has awsome detail.

Bromine
Aug 25th, 2000, 05:41:45 PM
Darth Maul, Darth Vader, and Boba Fett would probably sell well in any format, because there's so many people that collect just a particular character. I can't see the Mage Action figures selling well beyond those major characters.