PDA

View Full Version : Pick your favorite books/series in EU.

Qui John
Aug 19th, 1999, 06:03:15 PM
The title sort of speaks for itself, sure, but I know that I have my favorites of all the EU stuff out there. I was just curious to see what you, my esteemed compadres, felt about this. The floor is open.

Atreyu
Aug 19th, 1999, 09:15:24 PM
I've only read the Thrawn Trilogy - but I loved it. :)

searching4Callista
Aug 19th, 1999, 09:15:26 PM
<font color=#ffff00>That i'm going to come under fire for this. (I always do when I post it) My favorite Star Wars book is "Planet of Twlight" By Barbara Hambly.</font>

Mirax H
Aug 20th, 1999, 05:26:01 PM
X-wing series definitely. Haven't been bored with any of them. Have a nice blend of action and humor. Really liked Wraith Squadron.

Bromine
Aug 20th, 1999, 05:44:02 PM
Thrawn. Mara. Noghri. Ysalamiri. 'Nuff said.

Redemption
Sep 1st, 1999, 11:46:54 PM
i've got 3...the thrawn trilogy, darksaber...and rihgt now spectre of the minds eye..haven't read vision's of the future yet....but soon....

Mara Jades Father
Sep 6th, 1999, 01:42:43 AM
I like books that stick with a character or a few character. They keep introducing us to so many people, that the main characters that we like are written in few and far between. I realy liked the Han Solo Trilogy and I am working on his classic adventures now. Also I like I, Jedi. Even though he is a EU character, I enjoyed staying with one person throughout the entire story. I likes Shadows of the Empire, one of the only few books to have Darth Vader in it, I thought that this really captured a lot of the main characters. A lot of the books today, i hardly recognize my favorite Characters anymore and the same plot devices are used over and over again.

Atreyu
Sep 6th, 1999, 04:45:30 AM
It's interesting - people who have read the Shadows of the Empire either really love it or really hate it ...

Bromine
Sep 6th, 1999, 04:57:57 AM
I know what you mean about not sticking with just a few main charactersr, MJF. The Thrawn Trilogy kind of went all over the place. As much as I liked it, I did find it annoying when everyone "cooincidentally" met up with each other all the time. I haven't read Shadows of the Empire, but I find it strange nonetheless that they hyped it so much with video games, toys, etc, out of all the EU out there. I guess it's because, like MJF said, it has all the main characters.

Mara Jades Father
Sep 6th, 1999, 10:24:34 AM
Shadows of The Empire had to have a lot of hype, it was the main goal of the project. It was there tyo gain intrest in Star Wars again for th upcoming Special Editions and Prequels. Not much of Staar Wars was around at that time, the figures were just starting to hit the market since 1985. I thought the book had a lot of action, clever tie ins between ESB and ROTJ, and great story.

Atreyu
Sep 6th, 1999, 10:43:28 PM
I heard that Vder's rival in it (can't think of his name) was a lame ass. But I haven't read ther novel, so I guess I can't really comment ... :)

Cu Chulain
Sep 18th, 1999, 03:24:40 AM
K W Jeter's Bounty Hunter Wars. His books always kick @$$ and it was great for his talent to be introduced into EU. Plus the whole story rocked!

Mirax H
Sep 18th, 1999, 10:06:49 AM
I liked those too, Cu. Loved reading about Boba Fett.

kadabra
Sep 18th, 1999, 11:35:01 PM
Vision of the Future for book and the Hand of Thrawn for series.

Reaper
Sep 25th, 1999, 09:25:33 PM
The Thrawn Trilogy really kicked a$$!!!! I love the X-Wing series too. Shadows was a really good story too, I like ready about Vader(he's always been my favorite character).

bronto
Sep 30th, 1999, 07:31:25 PM
I've read a quite a few of the novels and comic books and my favorite would have to be "Shadows of the Empire". To me it felt closest to an actual Star Wars movie. Atreyu, the name of Vader's rival in "Shadows" was Prince Xizor.

Redemption
Sep 30th, 1999, 09:34:10 PM
i jsut finished reading visions of the future and spectres of the past and it kicked ass big time

Magic Elf
Oct 12th, 1999, 10:11:35 PM
I liked the Thrawn Trilogy the best.

Kiranna Organa
Oct 23rd, 1999, 11:33:47 AM
I have to say that I love the X-Wing series. It may not focus all on one character, but it's less confusing since they keep it on one character per chapter. The action is really great, and I love tough-luck characters like Myn Donos. I also love Janson, the loveable guy he is, especially when Wedge played the little "trick" on him in Solo Command regarding Lieutenent Kettch. Yub, yub, Lieutenant. I find myself likeing a lot of the characters in Rogue and Wraith Squadron. As far as Shadows of the Empire went, I didn't like it. It was boring and I haven't even been able to get myself to read it all the way through. Same with Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight. Another book I like is in the Dark Forces Trilogy. Soldier of the Empire. I haven't read it completely through, but so far, I really like it.

Hawker Sith
Oct 25th, 1999, 07:10:18 PM
I'd have to say that dark Empire 1 and 2 aremy faves. For books it's got to be the Jedi Acadamy Trilogy or first four in the X-Wing series.

Yane
Nov 20th, 1999, 06:44:00 PM
Thrawn Trilogy (got me into the whole thing), first three books of X-Wing Series, Jedi Academy, Shadows of the Empire, so far in I, Jedi (I'm about half way through). Those are my favourites. I like all the books I've read except Children of the Jedi because I couldn't understand it that well. It took me about half the book to figure out where Luke was (on the Eye of Palpatine)! (Don't laugh, I'm just a bit slow sometimes.) However, I did like the character of Callista.

Darth Turbogeek
Nov 22nd, 1999, 09:23:19 AM
You liked Callista? Really? I honestly find that difficult to believe. I thought Callista was the biggest travesty in the whole EU. And Children of the Jedi utterly rotten. For me, the Zahn books and I, Jedi are by far the best

Matrix76
Nov 25th, 1999, 12:28:46 AM
The Thrawn Trilogy and Shadows of the Empire are my favorite

Imperial Royal Guard
Jan 27th, 2000, 11:25:26 AM
this isn't a novel, but a comic series... don't throw anything at me! Crimson Empire has a great concept behind it, the last surviving Imperial Royal Guard out to avenge his master's death at the hands of traitors... to me there are no characters more closely resembling samurai than the Royal Guard... and the main character Kir Kanos is the epitome of the Ronin; the masterless warrior being carried by the forces of galactic civil war... looks great on paper... but the writing sucks... and the continuity in the artwork sucks so hard that not even light can escape. the first 6 issue series was passable, but the second didnt have the main character in half the story... supposedly there will be a third 6 issue series, i can only hope they throw some kurosawa in there. i personally would like to see the main character contemplate assassinating Leia, but is unexpectantly befriended by her children or something... and finds himself trying to save Leia from the requisite contrived plot device... the climax of course is the fight scene where the central character's latent force ability manifests itself when his own vibro-bladed weapon is destroyed and he force-grabs Leia's fallen lightsabre without consciously knowing it.... then cutting up the villian(s) into neatly stackable sections... then he and Leia have a brief torrid affair... well, maybe that's asking too much.

Everything Zen
Jan 27th, 2000, 06:00:33 PM
My favoret book is Vector Prime by R.A salvatore

Kiranna Organa
Jan 30th, 2000, 09:43:34 PM
I've all ready posted my response to this, but here's an update. This is kind of odd, but I just started reading the Thrawn trilogy. You would think that was what I would have started with but... So far, it's quite enjoyable. I've just gotten to the part where Chewie and Leia are headed to Kahyyk (or however you spell that) I enjoyed the Courtship of Princess Leia, but it didn't really portray the characters very well, and didn't focus on the Courtship of Princess Leia. The story was good, but if I had my way, I would re-write the whole thing. Besides, do you think that Han would have been such a baby about Leia and Isoldar? ::shudders:: and "kiss my Wookie?" So mature! I guess out of all the novels I've read, "The Krytos Trap" in the X-Wing series is my favorite, but I think that might be replaced by one of the books in the Thrawn trilogy.