PDA

View Full Version : "Concordance of Fealty": What the ______ ?!

Bromine
Jan 10th, 2000, 05:12:06 AM
For those who haven't found out, this is the tradition in which Jedi exchange lightsabres as a sign of mutual trust. It was mentioned in Star Wars #13. I first found out about it in the Trivia section of theforce.net. Here are my thoughts on the subject: 1) Why the heck would Jedi need to show a sign mutual trust? Wouldn't they always trust each other, considering Jedi are all goody-goody? I mean, do they normally watch their backs? Is that why the Council chairs are in a circle? So Mace Windu can't sneak up on Ploo Koon? 2) I always thought of a Jedi's lightsaber, something which he builds himself and risks his life upon, as something that would be kept at one's side at all times, not swapped like baseball cards. Of course, that's probably why it's such a sign of trust. Sorry if I'm ranting a bit, I just think it's kind of lame. Apparently, it "fixed" the little mix-up between Mace's sabre in the Visual Dictionary and the other sabre that he has in the film. Thoughts?

Mirax H
Jan 13th, 2000, 07:15:12 PM
I agree. Sounds weird to me.

K Samantha
Jun 18th, 2000, 07:52:54 AM
I agree also. Sounded to me like someone came up with a way to explain why Mace's saber changed. I remember the first time I saw the "new" saber and wondered who had changed his mind at the last minute--or who had accidentally put the wrong prop on Jackson for the photo shoot. It was a strange mistake (or change of mind) since so much pictoral information was already available before they decided to alter the saber.

Think about all the non-original saber builders who used others sabers: Han used Luke's, Obi-Wan used Qui-Gon's, Luke used Anakin's, Leia used old whats-her-faces saber which was "handed down" to her and Mara used Luke's lost saber. So there's no reason to suppose that sabers are "best" used by their original makers, and no reason to think that they can't be used as competently as a saber they'd build specifically for themselves. I like the idea that some sabers might be passed down from generation to generation. But the concordance of fealty thing seemed really last minute to me.

Bromine
Jun 18th, 2000, 10:18:16 AM
I agree. The point I was trying to make about using your own sabre is that it would be a very treasured item. I think passing a sabre down from one generation to the next makes sense, but "swapping" them makes them seem so...unimportant.

What I really want to know is why did they BOTHER? There's enough glitches in the movies anyway. I think they should have just pretended the goof-up never happened and moved on. It seems like such a trivial thing to make such a big deal to fix.

"Concordance of Fealty" - sounds like something they'd discuss in the Victorian era whilst sipping tea.

Doc Milo
Jun 18th, 2000, 03:15:42 PM
LOL!

(Now, I've been having difficulty trying to reply to this, so if there are 3 replies here, I'd hope the two incomplete ones can be removed! If not, then just ignore this) :)

I can see the scene now:

<font color=yellow>Yoda, Anakin and Obi-Wan sit around a small, ankle-high table, tea placed at three place-settings. Obi-Wan, robes draping over his knees as he sits indian-style at the small table, lifts a cup and, pinky out, sips some tea.

Obi-Wan: Yes, Anakin. It's called the Concordance of Fealty. You will trade your lightsaber with Master Yoda as a sign of mutual trust.

Anakin: But--

Yoda stares at Anakin's lightsaber, eyes wide, coveting the new design.

Yoda: Yes. Yes. To Obi-Wan you listen.

Anakin: But . . . but his laser sword is so old, and small! I'll be the laughing stock of all the other Padawans if I show up to practice with it! Look at my saber, Master. I can change the size of the blade, and the intensity of it. This side turns into a powerful blaster, and a vibroblade can extend from the hilt! And . . . and it won't work for anyone but me . . . yeah. I programmed it so it won't work for anyone but me.

Obi-Wan: Now, Anakin. Greed and lying are of the Dark Side.

Yoda: Yes. (To Obi-Wan) Warned you I did. Fails he in this test.</font>

:)

Bromine
Jun 19th, 2000, 01:02:10 AM
LOL!

Y'know, the more I say "concordance of fealty", the more it sounds dirty. I don't know why.:)