PDA

View Full Version : Is "Vector Prime" worth reading

Probe Droid
Jul 19th, 2000, 07:29:31 PM
Have a copy of "Vector Prime" but was wondering if it was worth a damn or not before I start reading it. Generally, I haven't had much success with "SW" books, finding most of them too juvenile for an old fart like me. Liked "Dark Empire" but couldn't get through many others either in print or on abridged audio. I'm curious about this one bacause of you know what, but is it really any good?

Bromine
Jul 19th, 2000, 08:34:39 PM
I haven't got around to reading it myself, but I hear many good things about it. Although, some people were outraged about how a certain character was (ahem) "dealt with" (I won't spoil it for you if you don't know). It's supposed to be one of the better EU novels.

What EU have you been disappointed with? I haven't been happy with a lot of it, either. About the only ones I really reccomend is the Heir to the Empire Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. That's about as good as the EU gets, IMO. So if yo don't like that series, you probably won't like any other EU novels.

Atreyu
Jul 20th, 2000, 05:28:21 AM
I've been reading fan feedback on Vector Prime for months now and it seems as though it's split 50/50 - you'll either love it or hate it. Some have called it one of the best SW books ever written, others call it the worst. I haven't read it but I'd probably recommend reading it since it's the first book of the New Jedi Order series, and from what I've heard and read the next 2 books in the series by Stackpole (Dark Tide: Onslaught and Dark Tide: Ruin) are really good reads so it might pay to read Vector Prime simply so you can get onto the next 2.

Thus far I have read 13 EU books - The Thrawn Trilogy by Zahn (3 books), the X-Wing series by Stackpole and Allston (9 books), and I, Jedi by Stackpole (1 book), and thus far I've been a happy reader. I'm taking a break from reading for the moment so I can plot out what I'll read next. I was originally going to read the Jedi Academy trilogy, but after reading less than enthusiastic reviews for it, and also hearing that the first half of I, Jedi pretty much covers what goes on in the trilogy (just from Corran's point of view instead of third person) I think I'll probably fast-forward to the Hand of Thrawn duology and then onto the New Jedi Order series so I can catch up with the most recent EU books and then maybe backtrack to some of the 'less recommended' books/series when I get time.

Darth Turbogeek
Jul 20th, 2000, 07:25:31 AM
Give Vector Prime a big miss. I tried to read it, I tried to give it a chance, I couldn't in hte end. I rate it as bad as Children of the Jedi, which is sickening and I burnt.

Any Zahn book is excellent. Stackpole is worth reading, so i may try out his new two books. I loved I Jedi too.

I've read a lot of Eu and unfortunantly it took a lot to recover from the experience. Funny thing is, as say Star Trek, it would work. As Star Wars? It sucks.

Doc Milo
Jul 20th, 2000, 12:52:47 PM
I guess this is what Atreyu means by 50/50 :)

I enjoyed Vector Prime. It started a bit slowly, but built up and ended with a bang. I've read other RA Salvatore books, and this was a bit different. Usually, one of his books is non-stop, edge of your seat type suspense and action, with excellent characters. This one was slightly different -- a little slower starting -- but I enjoyed it nonetheless. And the next two in the New Jedi Order are excellent, and you would definitely need to read Vector Prime to get into them. In fact, I'd recommend reading Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future by Timothy Zahn before reading Vector Prime as well...

Probe Droid
Jul 20th, 2000, 07:16:58 PM
Thank you all for your responses. Read up to about p.25, and so far I'm not knocked out, but will give the book more of a chance to get on its feet.

Again, much obliged for your guidance.

Nom Anor YV
Jul 21st, 2000, 11:26:21 AM
[c]Hell yes!!!
So far, the entire New Jedi Order series is just as good as either the Thrawn trilogy or duology.
The latest book, Ruin, was completed in two days worth of reading, it was that good.
The best part of the entire story is that the Vong are completely unknown. But as the series goes, you will learn they have been around for over 50 years in the Skywalker galaxy. Also, in the graphic novel Crimson Empire II, there is a brief appearance of Nom Anor, the instigator of the riots against the use of technology.
I feel that you will thoroughly enjoy the book series. It is supposed to go on for the nest fives years (real Earth time) and span almost 30 books. The next book (softcover) is due in august and is the Heroes Trials series that deals with Han Solo coping with Chewies death. Then, in November, the next hardcover is due out. From what Del Rey says, you can actually purchase the 5 hardcovers that will be cming out, and never have to pick up the softcovers. They claim the softcovers are only like little additions to the main storyline and no major happenings will take place. I think they are wrong since the Vong have destroyed two planets and conquered three planets in the softcover books already.
The series runs like this:
Vector Prime
Dark Tide: Onslaught
Dark Tide II: Ruin
I hope you enjoy them.

Figrin D an
Jul 24th, 2000, 05:36:05 PM
Well, here's another opinion on Vector Prime. :)

*** WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS ***

I bought the book shortly after it was first published. I was really excited to see where the EU storyline would be taken, as I had just finished reading 'Spectre of the Past' and 'Vision of the Future' (both excellent books I might add. These are a must-read before you really dive into the New Jedi Order books.)

I found 'Vector Prime' to be a fairly quick read (only took me a weeks worth of evenings to get through it), but I was overall not that impressed with the storyline.
First of all, I felt that Mara's mysterious illness was kind of cheap, especially right after she and Luke finally wed. They go through hell, putting their lives on the line for each other time and time again, finally end up together after all of the danger they faced only to have Mara contract some strange incurable disease.
Next, Nom Anor never seemed that much of a threat to me. Reminded me too much of any number of real-life third world zealot dictators. Woohoo, big deal.
The Vong were fairly decent enemies, something besides the Empire at least, but they seemed a little too much like a combination of the Borg and the Ssi-ruuvi to me (bad, bad memories of The Truce at Bakura). Throw in some ysalmari for effect and *poof*, one new group of bad guys all ready to go. But, maybe this is just me...

Characterization was good, for the most part. I felt the characters acted the way they should have, most of the time. Salvatore's writing style is very good, IMO. He's done some excellent sci-fi/fantasy books in the past, ie. Forgotten Realms. This book wasn't quite as fast paced as those books, as was already noted earlier in the thread, but still good nevertheless.

Then, of course, there is the death of Chewie. First time I read it, I hated it. Couldn't stand the idea of Chewie getting squished into a Wookie pancake by a moon/planet collision. Second time I read the book (to give it another chance), I didn't mind so much. At least he died to save Solo's youngest son, Anakin... kinda sorta. (Although, I felt Anakin was kind of a dumbass in that entire scene. But, I guess that helps to add to Han's emotional state over Chewie's demise, knowing that Anakin could have done something about it.)

Overall, 'Vector Prime' is okay. If you really want to read the Dark Tide books and get into the New Jedi Order books, you definately should read it, just for the background info. As an independent EU book, it isn't as bad as say 'Children of the Jedi' or 'The Crystal Star,' but it isn't as as good as any as Zahn's trilogy and duology or 'I, Jedi.'

I'm still debating if I want to read the Dark Tide books. I have some other non-Star Wars books I want to read first, so I have some time to think about it...

Atreyu
Jul 24th, 2000, 10:43:22 PM
Haven't read them but the Dark Tide books are supposed to be VERY good - not surprising when you hear that Stackpole wrote them. :)

Nom Anor YV
Jul 25th, 2000, 09:44:04 AM
** Figrin, while I agree with some points you brought up, there are a few things I disagree about.
First, unless you are talking about the quality of the read, I do not think that the Thrawn duology is a "must-read" before Vector Prime. You will come to find that in the book Ruin, the Chiss make an appearance under the command of Palleon, supplied by Fel. The Chiss speak of this unknown menace in the outer regions, but never relate the Vong to them. I think this is a potential set-up for another book arc after the New Jedi Order series is over. I could be wrong though.
In regards to your statements about Nom Anor, I think you are being a little harsh. He is playing a major role in the upheaval of peoples emotions towards technology, while at the same time scouting out the galaxy for his invading forces. Look at where he is stirring up trouble, Rhoomanol (spelling is probably wrong), yet you will see the Vong have only made it as far as Ithor by the end of Ruin. Look at the map and see where they are compared to one another. Nom Anor's next step could very well be Coruscant.
I personally liked the way Chewbacca died from the first time I read it. He died doing what he does, bailing Han Solo's butt out of trouble. I also must say I like the way Anakin was being written. He is just a kid, trying to prove himself, but is full of compassion.
As far as Mara goes, I agree, not too much has been done with this, and I do not even know when she was infected. If you know which book this happened in, please tell me.
Comparing the Vong to another species will always happen. The comparison with the Borg is good, I guess, especially with the assimilation's that you will see in Onslaught and Ruin. I do not know about the oither species, since I never read the Truce at Bakura because I have yet to find one person tell me it is worth reading.
One note though, regarding Mara and Luke, I think....just my mind wandering, that one of them will die by the end of this book series. The reason being is that they begin to talk alot about having children in Ruin. That was something that I had not ever thought of happening. Luke himself, having children.
Lastly, I agree with you on Salvatore's writing, very indepth and good descriptive work done. But Stackpole competely nuts the entire mod for both Onslaught and Ruin.
The next set of books, Agents of Chaos, will be quite interesting, since the first book, Heroes Trials is going to center on Han picking up his life.

Nivek Felth
Jul 31st, 2000, 04:29:14 PM
I have actually never read "Vector Prime" yet, but from what I've seen and heard, it doesn't seem all that great. Although I am not going to judge it, seeing I haven't read it. However, I am a big fan of the Empire, and powerful organizations. Groups like the Empire, Kuat of Kuat Drive Yards, Black Sun, Bounty Hunter's Guild, ect. I agree with Figrin about the Thrawn trilogy. Zahn had some great insight for that trilogy and he produced some incredible characters from that story line. I also enjoyed Thrawn's newest two books, in his duology. These newer Jedi Order books though seem a little too corny to me. Not only that, but I hardly find Star Wars books now where the "good guys" lose. I loved Empire Strikes Back because the good guys actually lost in that movie, which gave me a complete surprise. Lets face it, the good guys don't always win. I would like to see a book where the New Republic would have some real problems. Maybe they could even bring in a new Sith Master. But the Vong don't seem like much of a new idea, much less a new threat.

Who knows, I could be mistaken. I think I am going to try reading Vector Prime, and give it a chance...but I have my doubts.

Bromine
Jul 31st, 2000, 06:02:56 PM
I agree about the good guys needing to lose now and then. That's why the Thrawn stuff was so good; the New Republic had their victories, but it was clear Thrawn was the superior strategist.

Atreyu
Jul 31st, 2000, 06:57:14 PM
But that also was the Thrawn Trilogy's biggest weakness. By making Thrawn such a brilliant strategist the only way Zahn could have the New Republic win in the end was by pure luck most of the time.

Nom Anor YV
Aug 1st, 2000, 08:31:26 AM
Atreyu,
I agree completely that there is not really a Star Wars book out there where the good guys lose. But, so far, the Republic is reeling back on it's collective heels and they are pulling out some of the most ingenius ideas in slowing the progress of the Vong.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you pick up the books. The solution to slowing the Vong in Vector Prime was pretty interesting, to say the least. And what Palleon pulled off at then end of Ruin was nothing short of Thrawn-like strategy planning.
Also, keep in mind, the New Republic has had many losses. Chewie is dead, Ganner (a new Jedi) almost died) Mara is fighting for her life from a biological spoor that the Vong released, and I am beginning to think that the closer to the end of the series, you might see one more of the power-players (Han, Luke, Leia, Lando or maybe even Corran) die. We also lost Ekla Elegos, which in my opinion was one of the most interesting characters in the Star Wars book with his pacifist views.
Well, I hope you do like it, if you check it out. I am off to get the new book today.

YJK82
Sep 3rd, 2000, 05:44:47 PM
The book sucked. It made the Crystal Star look great! I hated it, but that's just my opinion.

Darth Taxes
Dec 3rd, 2000, 11:41:30 PM
Go directly to "Onslaught" (the second book in the series) and you will have missed nothing except flat characterization, botched plot-lines, and Salvatore's terribly amateurish writing.