PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars TV series: I WANT ONE!

Bromine
Jul 11th, 2000, 03:09:40 AM
There's some discussion about this in Replica Props lately and I remember we were talking about it here, so I thought I'd bring the subject up again.
Here's my idea: During the Golden Age of the Jedi, a Jedi Master or two fly around in their ship with some apprentices. Mad-capped mayhem and adventure ensue.
I think that would be a good subject because it would involve lots of Jedi and lightsabres. The time frame is far enough away from the movies or any big series from the EU.
I think the problem with a TV series would be the same with TPM and the EU novels: Some people expect it to be exactly like the Star Wars they've already seen, and complain it's not really Star Wars. I say screw them and flood every form of media with stories from the Star Wars Universe!

And no crap about it being "canon" or not. GL will make a worldwide announcement stating that EVERYTHING we've read or heard is 100% true, even the conflicting stuff, and he loves the EU more than the movies he wrote. He will then go on to relate how much he hated ESB because of all the mushy love stuff and the crappy Boba Fett costume. Then he'll rerelease the Star Wars Christmas Special and praise it as his greatest work...Okay, I'm just getting silly. Sorry.:)

Figrin D an
Jul 11th, 2000, 12:07:32 PM
I think that, regardless if such a TV series was well written and produced, it would ultimately fail. The media would blast it not being "true" Star Wars (even though they know jack squat about the SW universe) and the public would show little interest in the series as a result. GL has taken enough undeserved criticism recently, I don't think he should run the risk of generating more...

Besides, there has always been a certain alure to uncertainty of the canon/non-canon issue. I think, quite honestly, that, deep down, a lot of fans enjoy that the EU is one big question mark in terms of validity. That way, a fan can accept what they like and dismiss what they don't without reprecussion. Having a Lucasfilm produced TV series would basically be confirming that the EU is canon, especially if ANY aspects from the comics/books are used...
From the other side of the coin, if said show were to contradict the EU, many fans may become further upset. (I say 'further' because I can virually guarentee that at some point in the next two films, Lucas will contradict the EU in some way, much to the chagrin of some mega-EU fans out there.)

Just my two cents...

Doc Milo
Jul 11th, 2000, 02:51:38 PM
I always envisioned a Star Wars TV series being based on the X-Wing novels. They, I think, would lend themselves more readily to a serial (not episodic) type show. Of course, the problem with that is no Jedi, no lightsaber duels...

Bromine
Jul 11th, 2000, 05:10:09 PM
"Having a Lucasfilm produced TV series
would basically be confirming that the EU is canon, especially if ANY aspects from the
comics/books are used..."

Why would you say that? Why would a TV show be considered canon any more than a novel or comic?
Btw, I was joking about the whole canon/not canon issue. I agree, I like the idea that I can dismiss the EU stuff I don't like. I think a TV series would be cool, but definitely not now. After the last movie has been released would be perfect. That way, there would be no more movies to compete with it and the "canon" portion of Star Wars, which many people believe is solely the movies, would be over and done with so any debate about that wouldn't matter too much anyway.
What makes me think it would work so well is because the novels and comics do so well. TV just seems like the logical next step.
Doc, I was thinkng of the X-Wing series too, but like you said there wouldn't be a lot of lightsabres and Jedi. I'm not all that familiar with the X-Wing series of books, but maybe the show could take place during the New Jedi Order, and one of the pilots is a Jedi. They could be part of a special task force that hunts down Jedi that have fallen to the Dark Side...oh yeah! That's cool!:)
I'd definitely want brand new characters. The writers would have more latitude that way.

Aprentize
Sep 3rd, 2000, 03:49:35 PM
dunno if this would be cool, but i sure could see Young Jedi Knights as a cool Xena type tv series.

And this about Canon/Noncanon. So what if its non canon. It would rock (maybe not, but). I agree that tv is the next step, considering the succes of the other eu stuff,

YJK82
Sep 3rd, 2000, 05:29:19 PM
Forget about the media! There the ones who said Epsiode I sucked! A Young Jedi Knights star wars series would be great! Think about it you could see the YJK go on adventures and train to become jedi, it would be awesome!

Bromine
Sep 3rd, 2000, 07:05:27 PM
There are always going to be critics, that's for sure. Same people who complained TPM "wasn't Star Wars" will claim the TV series "isn't Star Wars".
Actually, now that I think about it, Star Wars wouldn't even be breaking any new ground by entering the TV arena: Droids and Ewoks were fun little cartoon series. So the only diference this time would be making a live-action series targeted at a more mature audience.

Doc Milo
Sep 4th, 2000, 01:13:25 PM
The last Live Action attempt at TV Lucas wants everyone -- especially himself -- to forget. (Holiday Special)

Re-reading this thread, I thought about the comment about it taking place around the time of the NJO. They could make it take place on a ship with Admiral Krey'fey in charge and commanding the fleet on the front of the war. He can have Jedi stationed on his ship, along with Rogue Squadron. Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin Solo could be the main characters -- and the original characters (probably have to be played by different actors, but maybe not) can be relegated to cameo appearances, but not too many of them. The main enemy would be the Vong...

I'd like a recurring role of Admiral Pallean as well...

Bromine
Sep 4th, 2000, 05:59:58 PM
Actually, the last live-action attempt on TV were the Ewok movies. Quite removed from the Star Wars universe, though.
I think it would only work if they were stationed on a ship so that they could travel to differenct places all the time. Only problem would be that people would say it's a rip-off of Star Trek because they're flying around in a spaceship.

Doc Milo
Sep 5th, 2000, 12:03:54 AM
And if they stayed on a station, people would say it's a rip off of Babylon 5 or Deep Space 9.

Hey can't please everyone! :)

I don't see those series having Jedi! :)

LinSiTar Konnair
Feb 14th, 2001, 03:29:39 PM
Gentlemen... I have the solution.

The FFF is in the process of making TWO projects -

The first is called "Tales From the Holocron", and they are being shot - go to www.chocolatecraving.com for more details, and the second is "Blaze Squadron" - Same site...

You will see that your prayers WILL be answered by the Force.

Force Master Hunter
Feb 20th, 2001, 02:10:43 AM
Sounds interesting. I'll go have a wander over

LinSiTar Konnair
Feb 21st, 2001, 03:28:25 PM
Did you like what you saw there, Force Master Hunter? I believe we could join forces, the Prop Replica Board and the FFF to make these come true faster...