PDA

View Full Version : Conquest

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 10th, 2001, 01:07:01 AM
I just got finished reading this book and I must admit that I really enjoyed it. First the novel was not as grim as many of the NJO novels were becoming and by the novel's end you could see some hope and a huge weakness for the Vong. Also I like the novel centering on Anakin and I was also intrigued with how Keyes dealt with how Anakin felt about his connection to his Grandfather. My only problem was where is Han and Leia they weren't in the novel at all but we did get a cameo by a character not seen for a few novels and Talon Karrade played a major role in the novel which I enjoyed. Overall I saw it as an excellent addition to the NJO and if you have been reading the series I would suggest you to pick it up.

Jedieb
Apr 11th, 2001, 10:37:24 AM
I agree, this chapter in the NJO was much brighter than the last couple of novels. The only negative I saw was the use of characters from the SW children's novels featuring Anakin. I've actually read one of the novels with Anakin, Tahirri(sp?), and Master Ikrit, but that's only because I knew I could just throw the book on my classroom's reading table. I doubt may SW or EU readers are familiar with these characters. But even despite that, this was a good novel and we are finally starting to see some cracks in the Vong armor.

I wonder if Han and Leia's absence is setting up a series of novels with them as the central characters? And I am the only one that thinks the Bothan Fey'la needs to die? That idiot swears the New Republic owes its very existance to him. The snide comment he made to Jaina made me want to punch him in his furry face!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 11th, 2001, 01:45:14 PM
I agree with the comment about the characters from the Star wars children novels. I had to look up both Tahiri and Master Ikrit in Star Wars chronicles just to find out who they were. I did have a problem with Ikrit, I just wondered how they a creature his size became a jedi knight especially when the novel said he walks on 4 legs. Maybe that is something the children novels deal with I guess. Also I agree with you about Fey'la, I can't stand him he is so corrupt I can't believe he is in power. I'm wondering if that is a plot point that will be developed further like in TPM where the republic was considered corrupt, and like Palpatine some senator or someone else will use Fey'la to rise to power, maybe not a sith (I can always hope) but perhaps just some ambitious person especially the female senator from Kuat Viqi Shesh who seems very ambitious. I also am worried about Kyp he seems to be flirting with the Dark side and I am wondering if a sith lord or dark jedi does appear if Kyp will become his/her apprentice.

ReaperFett
Apr 11th, 2001, 01:49:04 PM
Kyp is right. Luke is wrong.

TristinJK
Apr 26th, 2001, 03:51:51 AM
I also enjoyed reading it. I am kinda hoping that senator Shesh gets found out by her treachery in the last one. Yeah when I read the description for Master Ikrit, all I could think of was this giant sheepdog scratching its ears for some odd reason. I was kind of shocked as to Anakin using part of the Vong bio-technology to repair his lightsaber. I was kinda hoping for after that it would return to its status as THE weapon of the universe by now being able to slice through the Vong armor/weapons with the ever missing ease since they came into the picture.

"boot to the head."

Darth Turbogeek
Apr 26th, 2001, 07:37:38 AM
That has got to be one of the most annoying things about the NJO. Considering a lightsabre is a superheated plasma contained in a magnetic "bottle" that gives it the sword shape, Im stuffed if I can work out how Vong technology can possibly resist one. The other one is how the Vong are absent in the Force. That's just plain wrong.

Ive tried reading NJO books, but for me they get the "THEY SUCK!" award.

RHJediKnight
Apr 27th, 2001, 03:31:56 PM
Okay, the whole 'absent in the Force' thing is pretty easy to explain, IMO. The Force is natural to the Star Wars galaxy, and only that galaxy (as far as we know anyway), and the Yuuzhan Vong come from a completely different galaxy. Why, if they were never born in a galaxy that has the Force, wouldn't they be a bunch of blank spots in it?

Force Master Hunter
Apr 28th, 2001, 01:22:07 AM
Somehow, I find it hard to believe The Force, somehting that is supposed bind the galaxy together, would be limited to one Galaxy.

TristinJK
Apr 28th, 2001, 05:52:33 AM
I concur with only the disagreement of how they are void in the Force. I think with what appears as Anakin's new "enlightenment" from "Conquest" , we shall *hopefully* see a change in this void.

"boot to the head."

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 28th, 2001, 05:39:01 PM
I think there will be a clearer answer to this question in a future book perhaps the next hardcover novel. I have read one of the writers say that question will be answered soon.

TristinJK
May 1st, 2001, 05:53:02 AM
thats about what I just said.

"boot to the head."