PDA

View Full Version : Saw an AMAZING Student Film

IndianaJones
Sep 25th, 2000, 06:35:33 PM
This past Saturday, I visited the greatest film School on the East Coast, and probably one of the greatest in the world, NYU (New York University).

I plan on attending NYU for grad school after college so that I can be apart of the fantastic film program available there at the Tish School of the Arts @ NYU.

During the opening seminar where we learned about the different things NYU and Tish have to offer, esspecially outlining their Arts programs it became evident that they take pride in their film program above all else, even though it was not stated.

As a closing gesture to the lecturing by 2 deans they showed a film by a student to give us an idea about the NYU experience. The film was called "The Waiters", and although I do not remember the writer/director, it is by far one of the most original and talented films I have ever seen. It eclipsed every film I've seen in the past few months, save only Gladiator.

The 15 min student project told the stories of many different people who wait for things. Starting first with a man at a stop light, then a man waiting for a bus, then a man waiting for a train. As each person was described and what they were waiting for was outline by the narrator it became obvious to the auditorium full of hopeful students that this film was far from ordinary. Each person got progressively outlandish and funny in their wait until the audience was roaring with laughter.

Although this may sound weird all left the auditorium with a sence of what makes NYU's film program is so special. Students. Students that want to succeed in the toughest biz in the world. Although I have a while before I get to be emerced in the film world I know that NYU holds the key to my understanding of film.

CMJ
Sep 25th, 2000, 07:25:17 PM
Very cool. Most student films I've seen are rarely good. Not that people aren't talented, because we/they are but we don't excatly have alot to work with. My professor in Intermediate Film Production gave us a 4 page handout of why student films suck....it's pretty hilarious. If I have time one of these days I may try and type it so everyone can read it....there are lots of laughs.

Challah
Sep 25th, 2000, 10:02:03 PM
I've got a good friend at Tisch right now. He's an freshman undergrad. To me, the two places that have the most fascinating people in the country are NY and Berkeley, CA. I hope to go to film school, and USC is a one of those places that I just couldn't see myself at. Here's to NYU, folks.