PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Best Picture winners of the past 30 years

Dutchy
Sep 22nd, 2000, 06:52:04 AM
I hadn't seen a lot of the Best Picture winners of the past 30 years, but the past months I caught up on all of them. It gave me a lot of satisfaction. Just the sheer fact that I can say I have seen them all plus there were some nice surprises. I liked the vast majority (at least a B-) and three I thought were average.

What characterizes a Best Picture winner? They are quite long. Running times of more than 2 and a half hours are no exception. Six are even longer than 3 hours. The average running time is 2 hours and 25 minutes. What's also noticable is the acting which reaches high levels in many movies. I saw some of the best performances I've ever seen (Ben Kingsley in Gandhi, George C. Scott in Patton). That's what I thought was most remarkable. No matter how good a movie is, the acting is always good. Very good in most cases actually.

What are your favorite Best Picture winners of the past 30 years? (1970 - 1999)

Here are mine, starting from least favorite to most favorite:

30. The Last Emperor (1987) C+
The story is interesting, but the movie is not. The movie tells way too lil for its running time. I didn't care for any of the characters, not even for the poor emperor. The longer I think of this movie, the more boring it gets.

29. Out of Africa (1985) C+
The visuals of the African landscape are prolly even more beautiful in the theater than on TV. The movie doesn't have to offer much more than that though. Slow movie that didn't have my interest.

28. Shakespeare In Love (1998) C+
Just not my cup of tea. I was rather bored, even though it has a wonderful performance by the lovely Gwyneth Paltrow. The Shakespeare quotes are masterfully worked into the script, that I must admit.

27. Unforgiven (1992) B-
Not very interesting, but not bad either. I think Eastwood was lucky that 1992 was a rather weak year for movies.

26. The Godfather: Part II (1974) B-
Quite some people consider it even better than the original, but I sure don't. The switching back and forth in time was confusing and I found myself drifting away from the movie. I wanna give it a second try one day though. The acting was excellent.

25. The French Connection (1971) B-
One of the first Best Picture winners I ever saw. About 15 years ago I think. Unfortunately I don't remember much of it, but I did give it a B-.

24. The Sting (1973) - B-
Especially the ending was supposed to be very surprising, but I thought it was rather predictable. The movie comes off outdated. Paul Newman was gave a great performance. Very well thought off movie, that it was, but it didn't do that much for me.

23. Amadeus (1984) - B-
The movie looks great and the music's beautiful. It doesn't have much to tell though. It would have been better if like 45 minutes would have been left in the editing room. Tom Hulce's performance as Amadeus is catching. That idiotic lil lauch of his... I thought it was very funny. The movie wasn't even close the annoying movie I always thought it would be. The more I think of it, the more I appreciate it, but I have no desire to watch it again.

22. Chariots of Fire (1981) B-
I guess 1981 was a mediore movie year too with this movie as a winner. The images of the sport games are great and appealed to me very much. Vangelis' very well known music is fantastic. Interesting movie, but predictable and kinda lame. Decent movie though.

21. The English Patient (1996) B-
Gorgeous visuals, especially the scenes in the desert. I wish I would have seen it in the theater. The story itself is not that interesting, but it's masterfully constructed. That was the best aspect of the movie. It was much better than I thought it would be.

20. Platoon (1986) B
Yet another movie that shows the madness of war. Platoon perfectly shows this. I didn't think it was all that shocking, but it was quite intruiging. Especially the battle between the soldiers themselves. But it's definitely not the best war movie I've seen. Adagio For Strings is hauntingly beautiful.

19. Patton (1970) B
The story of George S. Patoon set against World War II. Interesting, compelling, but too long compared to the story it tells. Best thing about the movie is George C. Scott, who gives one of the best performances I've ever seen. He WAS Patton.

18. Ordinary People (1980) B
Good drama with a very good performance by Timothy Hutton. Compelling and well acted, but it doesn't come close to the very profound dramas of today. You can really feel this movie is 20 years old.

17. Braveheart (1995) B
Typically a movie I had no desire to see, but it was surprisingly good and interesting. Visually really good and the music is nice. Especially the fieldbattles are very powerful.

16. Terms of Endearment (1983) B
Good drama/comedy. Very convincing performances. Like Ordinary People, it's quite less profound that movies we see nowadays. But it's an entertaining movie that is very well constructed. Nicholson's car on the beach scene I though was hilarious.

15. Gandhi (1982) B+
I knew nothing about Mahatma Gandhi, but now I do and I'm impressed. His ideals appeal very much to me and I admire his work. Ben Kingsley's performance is fantastic and some of the best I've ever seen. Very impressive also how he ages about 50 years in the movie. As a movie not quite the best maybe, but historically very interesting.

14. Dances with Wolves (1990) &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp B+
The last Best Picture winner I watched. I was not looking forward to it at all, coz I thought I wouldn't like it. I was very wrong, coz I really liked it. Kostner's relationship with the Indians is very compelling. It's sad to see how white people treated Indians too. The movie looks beautiful and tells an interesting story.

13. Annie Hall (1977) B+
Nice, original romantic comedy. Besides some original inventions the movie has especially quite some witty dialogue, throughout the whole movie actually. Diane Keaton is delightful as Annie Hall.

12. Rain Man (1988) B+
Sympathetic movie with Hoffman giving an excellent performance.

11. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) B+
Very intense atmopshere and creepy, though it wasn't quite the scary movie people made it out to be. Anthony Hopkins is brilliant al Hannibal the Cannibal.

10. Driving Miss Daisy (1989) B+
A touching and warmhearted story. The relation between Tandy and Freeman is sweet. 25 years passes by in this movie and the characters change along very naturally. Impressive work of make-up. Definitely a very nice movie.

9. Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) B+
Very good drama with an excellent performance by the very young Justin Henry. Compelling story. I loved the breakfast scene where no one says one word.

8. The Godfather (1972) B+
Francis Coppola's classic. Compelling movie with an excellent cast. Marlon Brando is brilliant as Vito Corleone. Al Pacino's character development is fabulous and one of the very best I've ever seen.

7. Forrest Gump (1994) A-
I loved it, in spite of the backlash. I thought it was touching at the time I watched it 5 years ago. Tom Hanks gives one of his best performances.

6. The Deer Hunter (1978) A-
Saw it a very long time ago, but I remember I was sucked in this movie. Disturbing and compelling.

5. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) A-
Very touching and compelling movie. Jack Nicholson is excellent.

4. Rocky (1976) A
Very compelling. I can't remember anything concrete really, but it has always been one of my very fave movies.

3. Schindler's List (1993) A
Steven Spielberg's masterpiece. Visually and technically one of the very best movies ever made. It's SO masterfully filmed. World War II's cruelties are shown profoundly and left my with a lump in my throat.

2. Titanic (1997) A+
Two days ago this would have been nummer 1, but I put it down 1 notch. Titanic got a hold on me from start to finish. Everything looks so beautiful: the set decoration, the costumes, the boat itself, everything. The cinematography is brilliant as is the direction, which is prolly the best ever. The music is the most wonderful I've ever heard in a movie. The special effects are breathtaking. The ultimate theater movie. I saw it 4 times in the theater and I would definitely go see it again if I got the chance.

1. American Beauty (1999) A+
In my opinion, American Beauty is the perfect movie. There isn't a single flaw in this movie. There isn't a dull moment. The acting (one of the best ensembles ever), the music, the cinematography, the editing (you don't notice any transitions), the direction, everything is perfect. I'm in a complete trance every time I watch it. The ending is pure poetic which finds its summit in Lester Burnham saying the beautiful and unforgettable words "it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world"... that is SO true.

Jedieb
Sep 22nd, 2000, 08:45:49 AM
Dutcy this is a great idea for a thread. I'm going to put some time into my list and crank it out later. Good job Holland boy. ;)

Jedieb
Sep 22nd, 2000, 05:53:12 PM
Here's my order of preference. I've kept Dutchy's grades just to show where we differ. It's a long shot that any 2 people are going to come up with identical lists.

27. Out of Africa (1985) C+
C+ Redford and Streep were good but they've both done better. The 80s version of The English Patient.

26. Ordinary People (1980) B
C+ Robert Redford did a nice job with the direction but this ins't exactly a feel good movie. Hutton gives a fine performance and Judd Hirsh does a nice job as well.

25. Chariots of Fire (1981) B-
C+ A bunch of British guys running on a beach. It bored me as a kid, but I'd probably enjoy it more today. The next time I feel like watching British men running on a beach I'll watch it again.

24. Amadeus (1984) - B-
C+ Hulce is great and so is Abraham, but the historical innacuracies bug me.

23. Gandhi (1982) B+
B Epic in scope and Kingsley gives a great performance.

22. The Last Emperor (1987) C+
B Peter O'Toole rocks and I enjoyed the epic feel and visuals of the movie.

21. Annie Hall (1977) B+
B- Yes, the child molester is funny.

20. Terms of Endearment (1983) B
B- One of the best chick flicks ever made. Again, Nicholson saves the day.

19. Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) B+
B- Great performances by Hoffman and Streep, but the acting was stronger than the story for me.

18. Braveheart (1995) B
B- Gibson surprised the industry and me. Impressive battle scenes.

17. Rocky (1976) A
B The best thing Stallone's ever done. Great guy flick.

16. Titanic (1997) A+
B Great visuals and Leo dies. Great date flick.

15. Dances with Wolves (1990) B+
B The first movie my wife and I saw when we were dating. Costner surpassed himself.

14. The French Connection (1971) B-
B Gene Hackman at his 70s best.

13. Driving Miss Daisy (1989) B+
B+ Great acting and a touvhing story. Morgan Freeman is simply one of America's greatest actors.

12. Unforgiven (1992) B-
B+ A tour de force for Eastwood and good enough to let the Academy basically give him a career Oscar. A great look at violence and what a "funny" thing it is to kill a man.

11. Rain Man (198:cool: B+
B+ Hoffman and Cruise are maginificent and I enjoyed the road trip storyline. The plot wasn't mezmorizing but Hoffman and Cruise were.

10. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) B+
B+ This movie was so chilling and sensational when it was released that the upcoming sequel will probably pale in comparison. And if they follow the plot of the novel people will leave the theaters shaking their heads.

9. Forrest Gump (1994) A-
B+ A great trip through contemporary US History. Hanks and Zemekis shine.

8. Platoon (1986) B
B+ One of Stone's best. Charlie Sheen will never do anything better.

7. American Beauty (1999) A+
B+ Great acting and an amazing script.

6. The Deer Hunter (197:cool: A-
A- The best Russian roulette scene I've ever seen in a film.

5. Patton (1970) B
A- One of the best war movies ever made and Scott gives one of the greatest performances in movie history. You can send a boy off to die but for some reason you can't slap them.

4. The Sting (1973) - B-
A- Newman, Redford, & Durning are simply great. Great score too.

3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) A-
A- Nicholson is a freakin' genius. You know who wanted his role originally? Kirk Douglas, but Michael Douglas who produced it and thus accepted the Best Picture Oscar wisely went with the younger Nicholson.

2. The Godfather: Part II (1974) B-
A The best sequel ever made and the only one to ever win a best picture Oscar. Only DeNiro could have offset the loss of Brando. Acting at its best.

1. The Godfather (1972) B+
A+ One of the greatest motion pictures ever made. One of my all time favorites.

The Oscar winners I still haven't gotten around to seeing:

Schindler's List (1993) A
Please forgive me.

The English Patient (1996) B-
Still haven't seen it and after that Seinfeld episode I'm not sure I ever will.

Shakespeare In Love (199:cool: C+
I was in more of a hurry to see George Lucas In Love. When this things finds its way to HBO I'll give it a look, until then it can wait.

ReaperFett
Sep 22nd, 2000, 06:35:41 PM
1992 was an AWESOME year for movies I'll have you know!

HAVEN'T SEEN
The Last Emperor
Out of Africa
Shakespeare In Love
The French Connection
The Sting
Amadeus
Chariots of Fire
The English Patient
Patton
Ordinary People
Terms of Endearment
Gandhi
Annie Hall
Rain Man
Kramer vs. Kramer(Isnt that Seinfeld?)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Schindler's List
American Beuty

SEEN
Unforgiven A, loved it
Braveheart A, Despite its England bashing
Rocky A, Loved it
Platoon B, Good film
Forrest Gump B, Not something I would watch again though
The Godfather B, preferred Goodfellas
The Godfather: Part II B, see above
The Deer Hunter C, didn't like it much
Dances with Wolves C, not my cup of tea
The Silence of the Lambs C, Not my cup of tea
Driving Miss Daisy D, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Titanic U, absolute dire trash from Mr. Kerching, Leonardo Di Crapio and Kate 'When will I make a film whee I DONT get nude' Winslet

Jedieb
Sep 22nd, 2000, 08:16:48 PM
Kramer vs. Kramer(Isnt that Seinfeld?)

LOL! There was an old Seinfeld episode in which Elaine was forced to go see the English patient and she hated it. The running joke was that "everyone" simply loved the film, everyone accept Elaine. During her viewing she starts saying things like; "Hurry up and die already!" Peterman is so offended that he fires her on the spot, but she doesn't because she wants to leave the theater so bad. Funny stuff.

Dutchy
Sep 23rd, 2000, 04:19:50 AM
Jedieb, great list! I'm impressed by the number of movies you saw. You really should see Schindler's List. It's a masterpiece.

ReaperFett, 1992 sucked! One of the lamest movie years of the 90s.

ReaperFett
Sep 23rd, 2000, 08:44:43 AM
These all came out in 92, according to the video boxes

Reservoir Dogs
Hard Boiled
Army of Darkness
Goodfellas
Terminator 2

Best year ever IMHO

Dutchy
Sep 23rd, 2000, 08:57:47 AM
Goodfellas is from 1990, Terminator 2 is from 1991, so that's 40% that's from another year. You still think 1992 rules?

I haven't seen Hard Boiled and I hated Army of Darkness (not my cup of tea). That only leaves Reservoir Dogs which is good indeed, but nowhere near the brilliant Pulp Fiction.

Best movies of 1992 IMHO:

- Unlawful Entry
- Aladdin
- The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
- Basic Instinct
- The Stolen Children

That's just 5 movies I gave at least a B+. The early 90s were pretty lame, unlike the late 90s, which has the best years ever, 1999 being the absolute summit.

ReaperFett
Sep 23rd, 2000, 09:31:39 AM
Thats no probs, they were only #'s 4 and 5. Still IMHO the best year of the 90's

98 was better than 99 too, IMHO

Oh yeah, I prefer Res dogs to Pulp Fiction

Jedieb
Sep 23rd, 2000, 07:48:16 PM
I've seen a lot of movies because I use to watch so much damn TV. But I've actually been forced to cut back a great deal these last few years. I've yet to see movies like Hard Boiled and Schindler's List. I've heard nothing but great things about both but if it doesn't find its way to HBO these days I probably wont see it. :(

BristerM
Sep 24th, 2000, 09:07:12 AM
I just want to say that out of all the movies I've seen, PATTON is the only one where I believe from start to finish that the first-billed actor actually IS his character. It's fascinating to watch George C. Scott play this character. From his hard-assed opening speech ("What do you want to be able to say to your grandkids when they ask you what you did in World War Two? 'I was shovelin' @#%$ in Louisiana?!'") to the point right before his death at the end, he was magnificent.

As a side note, although he didn't die on camera, he died right after the movie ended. When he got into the Jeep with the other men, that Jeep would go over a minefield and end up killing him. Later there were rumors that the U.S. government killed him since he was such a crazy bastard. I, for one, believe them.

Jedieb
Sep 24th, 2000, 10:38:32 AM
It's easy sometimes to believe the worst in both people and institutions. I can be as cynical as anybody, but rumors like a government sanctioned assasination of Patton or FDR willingly allowing Pearl Harbor to be bombed I tend not to believe. You have to have some faith, and because of the men and events involved I tend to give the government the benefit of the doubt.

foxdvd
Sep 25th, 2000, 01:45:50 AM
1: Braveheart (1995) A+..A top ten movie of mine, but a tough choice with American Beauty. Once the DVD of American Beauty comes out, I will have a better opportunity to decide if this will be one or two, but until then, Braveheart holds this spot. Even with its flaws (which in fact are greater then probably all the movies in my top ten Oscar winners list) this movie delivers overall great satisfaction.

2: American Beauty (1999) A+..Very close to Braveheart, but I hate to put a movie so fresh in my mind high at the top. Just outside my top ten movie list right now, this could very easily reach the top ten after 2 or 3 more viewings on my part.

3: Schindlers List (1993) A+..A good example of a movie so important, so good, so well made that its very greatness keeps it from my top ten list. Each movie on my top ten list needs a combination of enjoyment and good film making. Schindlers List tops the second category, but it hurts so much to watch it, that I have only seen it twice. That is the least number of times for any movie of these 30, with the exception of number 30. So real, it is to hard to watch.

4: The Godfather Part II (1974) A..I love the story line jumping. Adds freshness lacking in many movies. Also, the supporting roles are stronger then the first, and its overall pace is tighter.

5: Patton (1970) A..I agree that this has one of the greatest single performances ever by an actor. Maybe the greatest. The movie itself is also a blast, and while the battles seem a little fake, I will always love this movie. If George was not in this movie, it would drop to a B+ rating. Looks fantastic on DVD.

6: One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975) A-.. Such a good movie. Makes you laugh so hard, and yet leaves you feeling empty and sad at the end, with a slight uplifting tone. Sure, it did much harm to the health-care industry, but it still is a well made movie with performances from the leads that simply sizzle.

7: The French Connection (1971) A-..Very sharp, very well written and acted, and easily the best or second best chase scene in movie history. The kind of movie others borrowed from for years.

8: Dances with Wolves (1990)A-.Great filmmaking. One of the most lush films in this list. Very daring pacing, that works wonderfully.

9: Amadeus (1984) B+..While the story is not true, and it pains me when people come away from the movie thinking it is, it still is a well made movie. Only the loose middle keeps it from being an A movie.

10: Deer Hunter, The (197:cool: B+.. A long movie that soaks up every minute. Details a dramatic change in characters. Very few movies show us how a person can change, and make you believe every minute of it. Some of the most horrific POW scenes ever filmed, next to only “Bullet in the Head.” Meryl Streep’s performance drops this to a B+. She is easily the most over-rated actresses ever.

11: Godfather, The (1972) B+..Every bit as good as the sequel except for one thing. Not as tight. Could have been shaved a bit here and there. Very important to the industry.

12: Rocky (1976) B..Rocky. Just a bad ass movie with a little heart. Very hard not to get caught up in struggle of Rocky, even if it is a little over-handed and silly at times.

13: Unforgiven (1992) B.. Not as good as at least 3 other Clint westerns, but still one of the best endings in movie history. The whole story is just a build up to a brilliant acted, and displayed ending.

14: Driving Miss Daisy (1989) B..Very well made movie on all parts. Only the story keeps it from being higher. Not that it is bad, just that it is not my cup of tea. Still, the movie drew me in, so I have to give it credit for that.

15: Terms of Endearment (1983) B..Very similar experience with Driving Miss Daisy. Well made, just not exciting, or heart wrenching.

16: Silence of the Lambs, The (1991) B.. You hear this about movies all the time, but it is really true with this one: The Book is WAY better. Still, Hopkins ruled in this role, and made it what it is.

17: Rain Man (198:cool: B..An easy role, that was made out to be much more then it really was. A great movie that gets old towards the end. Sure fire way to win an Oscar, act like a retard.

18: Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) B..Very emotional movie, that could have been tightened up.

19: Chariots of Fire (1981) B…The music is so good in this movie, and I really think it alone makes this a B movie.

20: Sting, The (1973) B. My expectations for this movie were VERY high, and it almost succeeded, but not a movie that holds up well over repeat viewings.

21: Ordinary People (1980) B…Sad. Like many movies of its kind, got me down to much to be one of my favorites, but a sharp and well made movie.

22: Titanic (1997) B..A well made movie that was filled with sub-par performances, and a story that played second fiddle to the special effects, which have not held up well over time, and on the small screen.

23: Forrest Gump (1994) B.. Without a doubt one of the most over-hyped movies. Funny script and brilliant performance by Tom Hanks (he was perfect for the role, so while brilliant, not the most difficult role ever done). Robert shows his skill at handling complicated films again, but I think he is the reason why the movie does not hold up well over time. A little to sappy, and the movie focuses to much on the special effects, “look at me! I can direct a movie that cost a lot of money!”

24: Shakespeare in Love (199:cool: B-..Turned me on more then I would like to admit to. Not as smart, and not as well acted as it is said to be. Not sure what the deal was with this movie. Still fun.

25: Last Emperor, The (1987) B-..To long. I love long movies as much as the next guy. Das Boot clocks in at around 3.5 hours, but this one is just filled with to much stuff that adds nothing to the movie. Yawn.

26: Annie Hall (1977) C+..Pisses me off. I admit it. I am shallow. It should not have won that year, and each time I watch it I am so pissed, it clouds my judgment. Still, even if it did not get the Oscar that year, I would not give it to much higher.

27: Gandhi (1982) C+..Yawn.

28: Platoon (1986) C..Sharp filming, and very well edited. That is the ONLY thing good about this movie.

29: Out of Africa (1985) C..Turn the sound off, and just watch the beautiful scenery.

30: English Patient, The (1996) D+ ..this movie actually pissed me off. The last part of it is great. The first part..WTF?

foxdvd
Sep 25th, 2000, 03:35:28 PM
?