PDA

View Full Version : How money would TPM gross in a re-release..

Darth23
Sep 20th, 2000, 09:17:34 AM
This winter or in the spring - for a mininimum of at least two weeks.

Darth23
Sep 20th, 2000, 09:18:12 AM
I think it should read how MUCH money...... :p

Jedieb
Sep 20th, 2000, 11:11:43 AM
$10-$30M would be nice, but $1-$10M is probably more realistic. I don't think these prequels will generate the same kinds of numbers in their re-releases as the originals did. It's a different market out there with much more entertainment competition. These prequels need some time to grow on people for re-releases to generate some interest. A good time for a TPM re-release might be during the summer/fall of 2001 or spring of 2002.

Does anyone remember how much the X-Mas release of last year brought in?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 20th, 2000, 02:34:58 PM
I think it could make 15-20 if it was released in spring of 2002 and Lucas used the rerelease as a way of puting the second tralier of EP 2 on it for the first time, this would probably get many of the die hards out to watch it again. The problem, is I am not sure if Lucas is going to release it with the DVD coming out sometime in 2001 he may figure that is enough, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 20th, 2000, 06:22:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken, TPM grossed about 2 million during it's x-mas re-release.

Jedieb
Sep 20th, 2000, 09:50:02 PM
That's a great idea JMC! If TPM came out with the EP2 trailer I'd be there in a heartbeat! I'd still probably go out and see it anyway, but the trailer would make it a must see event.

Darth23
Sep 20th, 2000, 11:21:21 PM
But then everybody would complain that Lucasfilm as just doing it to make more money.

:-P

Of course, maybe TPM deserves it more than the next Meet Joe Black. ;-)

JonathanLB
Sep 21st, 2000, 02:31:57 AM
Sheesh, Darth don't you know anything? It's called "Meet Joe Blacker."

It opens in November of 2001. I cannot wait! :)

j/k.

I voted $10-30 million, I feel that is a lot more realistic. That's 2 million fans/casual moviegoers or more showing up, assuming nobody went twice.

I think if it was this holiday season, there is a lot of competition and that is a stupid time to try it, but if it were at the end of January or something, probably it could make $15 million over a few weeks, if given at least 1,200 theaters to play in...

If it had the Episode II trailer, THE first Episode II trailer and came out at the end of 2001, come on guys, it would easily make $30 million. Remember the excitement over trailers A and B, I knew even casual fans that went to see Wing Commander for Trailer B, my best friend was one of them...

Trailer B, right now, has been downloaded over 35 million times total according to the official sources...

Kyp Durron
Sep 21st, 2000, 01:29:30 PM
It'll do pretty well with great advertising. And Jonathan's right...if it was released with the new trailer, it'll do very well indeed. What's amazing about the charity release was that there was hardly (if any) advertising for it, and it still pulled in some dough. I know I'm definitely there if it was re-released!

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 21st, 2000, 08:24:34 PM
Well the only thing in terms of advertising for the charity release was a 15 or 30 second commercial about a week before it opened.

JonathanLB
Sep 22nd, 2000, 03:52:11 AM
Well, actually they did take out a full page ad in USA Today too, which was really cool. I've hardly ever seen those full page ads for movies, so I thought that was neat.

I have it still, basically I think other organizations contributed the money to help pay for that ad, because Fox and LFL relied on the community to help promote the event.

It made $2.1 million or something, not that bad, really. I mean, some people expected more, but it ended up having one of the top per-theater averages during the week. On its final day, after continiuing its ascent up the top ten chart, it finally achieved 2nd on the per-theater average chart, just behind Toy Story 2. That's pretty good, but it played in 800 theaters and on only one screen each.

You start doing this, "well, 3,000 theaters for TS2, 800 for TPM, that means that TS2 had less than 4 times what TPM did." Well, no. TS2 played on multiple screens in many cases, or in all cases with major theaters, so it had probably 4,500-5,000 screens, but TPM probably still only had 800 because I don't know of any theaters that gave it two screens...

TPM was still pretty fresh in people's minds at the time, so the $2 million it earned was not bad.

Speaking of that, the network premier of the movie is this November, I am almost positive.

Is it just me or does it seem to anyone else that they are making sort of a marketing push in conjunction with that? Perhaps it is just a coincidence, but you have the full TPM soundtrack coming out, then you have more TPM videos being shipped, then you have the original trilogy coming out again, and furthermore the network TV premier. Hmm...

I bet there is some new wave of toys and stuff like that then...

Jedieb
Sep 22nd, 2000, 01:00:42 PM
The EP1 & POTF2 toylines have been put to bed and merged into one new line called Power of the Jedi. After almost a year of a serious slump the SW line has been invigorated with this new line and several 12" exclusives. This isn't something that has been done in conjunction with any grand SW marketing scheme, it's just what Hasbro has been doing with the line. This new line has been in the works since late 99. A major line change like this can take close to a year to implement. I do think that all of these things will try to feed off of each other once they're set in place. When the network or cable release is out you may see retailers try to do something special with their toy sections. Does anyone know of retailers ordering more copies of TPM? All of my local stores still have plenty on stock. Even the widescreen version can still be found on shelves in my neck of the woods.

In regards to the X-Mas release, all I saw in my area was a newspaper ad and a quick blurb and pic in the movie section. 2 million isn't bad considering it was still pretty fresh in people's minds.

Darth23
Sep 22nd, 2000, 02:04:25 PM
One reason there was such a slup is that the stores seemed to but a TON of the first action figures, then very few of the later releases.

I had to buy most of the figures I have online.

Grrr

So what network is it premiering on? FOX?

No pay per view or Movie channels first?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 22nd, 2000, 03:50:22 PM
I think it is Fox, I remember when Fox got the distrubition rights part of the agreement was that they show it on Fox first.

Jedieb
Sep 22nd, 2000, 04:26:31 PM
This reminds me of ANH's network premiere. CBS had a special 3-hour presentation with clips of celebraties relating their favorite SW stories. The unbelievable part is that ANH didn't even come out on top in the ratings the night it premiered! I thought the entire country had gone nuts. Does anybody know the name of the TV movie that took the #1 spot that Sunday night? (Hint: There's a Fast Times at Ridgemont High connection.) I wonder how the ratings will be for TPM. I have no doubt it will do great but grabbing the top spot will be a tall order with the fall TV season in full swing and stiff competition from ER, Millionaire, etc. Survivor may even have its Austrailian show up and running. It's unfair anyway to expect TPM to come in at #1 when so many people have already seen it. I still think it will have a decent shot at a top 10 premiere.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 22nd, 2000, 05:27:06 PM
I think it will win its time spot. I wondering if their planning on puttting it on Friday after Thanksgiving now then it would have a good chance at cracking the top 5.

buff jedi 2
Sep 23rd, 2000, 06:01:23 PM
I would hate to guess on how much it would make on a rerelease But I know id go to to see it atleast 10 more times and I would like to think that everyone in this forum would atleast go back and see it twice and make sure they take someone with them that missed it the first time.what i really wish they would do is ahve a allnighter with all four shown back to back.

buffjedi

Darth23
Sep 28th, 2000, 01:33:24 AM
Jedieb:

I think Star Wars had been shown on HBO many many times before it finally made it to broadcast TV.

Yep, I just checked my old SW scrapbook. :P

Star Wars premiered on CBS on Sunday Feb. 26. 1984

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it on HBO in 1981 or 1982.

Jedieb
Sep 28th, 2000, 10:34:40 AM
That's an excellent point Darth23. There were a number of reasons ANH was beat out by the TV movie Lace starring Phoebe Cates the night it premiered on CBS. Not only had ANH been on HBO for some time, but it had been on VHS and BETA for a while to. And let's not forget that there had been bootleg versions of the film out as early as 77. If TPM bypasses cable and debuts straight to FOX then it should do well. I think FOX did the same thing with The Lost World. It'd be interesting to look up those numbers. I would, but I'm far too lazy. ;)