Jedieb
Sep 22nd, 2000, 09:20:38 PM
Just curious, what are the last 5 books you've read? Here's my list:

Moby Dick by Herman Melville
The Millionaire Mind by Thomas Stanley
The New Jedi Order: Hero's Trial by James Luceno
I Rant, Therefore I Am by Dennis Miller
Rogue Planet by Greg Bear

The next two I have on tap are Orwell's 1984 and Closing Time by Joseph Heller (It's the sequel to Catch-22).

JonathanLB
Sep 23rd, 2000, 02:19:13 AM
Now for my list, prepare to be bored!

Most recent to least recent:

(in the process of reading The Chicago Manual of Style)
1) The Elements of Style (E.B. White)
2) How to Write Books that Sell
3) How to Write A Book Proposal
4) How to Write & Sell Your First Nonfiction Book
5) The Copyright Permission and Libel Handbook

Fun and exciting list, huh? :)

Before that, I got the chance to read Timeline, Jurassic Park, Congo, etc, but that was all school-related for my junior paper.

jjwr
Sep 23rd, 2000, 11:59:34 AM
Windows 2000 Server
Darkness at Sethanon
Silverthorn

Thats all I remember

Doc Milo
Sep 23rd, 2000, 03:41:14 PM
The New Jedi Order: Hero's Trial
The Indwelling
The Assassins
Apollyon
Soul Harvest
(before that, just listed because they are part of the same series as the last four above:
Nicolae
Tribulation Force
Left Behind)

On deck:
Tom Clancy's The Bear and the Dragon.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 23rd, 2000, 04:33:27 PM
Maxim issue #34
Stuff issue #11
FHM issue #5
Total Movie magazine #1
Ok, so they aren't books, but at least I was reading! :)

buff jedi 2
Sep 23rd, 2000, 05:50:56 PM
Duh let me tinks,

1. CaT IN tHE HAT

2.cliffard the big red dog

3.green eggs and ham

4,one duck two ducks

5.Barney goes fishing

let me tell you guys thats READING!!!!!!and they gots purty pictures too!!
I did read last months muscle and fitness,but thats a magazine too.

buff jedi

Jedieb
Sep 23rd, 2000, 06:57:29 PM
Buff stop lying, everyone here knows you can't read.

You're right Jon, that IS a boring list. ;) Actually, I had a couple of books similiar to that that I left off my list. They were investment books dealing with stocks, DRIPs, and retirement investing. I didn't consider them books I read for fun so I left them off.

Surprise, surprise Doc, you've got sci-fi books on your list. I'm thinking of adding some classic Asimov or Bradbury to my current reading list. Any recomendations?

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 23rd, 2000, 07:48:20 PM
I think I'm going to read the Contact novelization soon too.

DvdJervs
Sep 23rd, 2000, 10:21:33 PM
Red Dragon by Thomas Harris
Dune by Frank Herbert **
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien **
Think Big by Dr Ben Carson **
The Chicago Crime Book 1 - numerous authors

** - have read previously

Bromine
Sep 24th, 2000, 02:36:19 AM
Now that I'm in school, I average a 350+ technical book every couple weeks, on top of all the manuals and stuff I have to know. Haven't done any recreational reading in a while.

Doc Milo
Sep 24th, 2000, 03:45:39 AM
Recommendations for Asimov or Bradbury? Nah, just read anything by them! You can't really go wrong . . . :)

That reminds me, I have an Asimov short story collection around here somewhere . . . although, by the looks of it, it might take me a few years to finish The Bear and The Dragon. :) Looks almost as long as War and Peace!

Jedieb
Sep 24th, 2000, 10:53:51 AM
AHHHHH! Don't mention War and Peace to me! I got about 60 pages into 10 years ago and then abandoned it. Damn Tolstoy, could he drad scenes out ANY further? I've got my copy up on the shelf I may dig it out in a couple of years. Didn't Bradbury or Asimov write The Martian Chronicles? Were those a series of books or a single novel?

Doc Milo
Sep 24th, 2000, 05:53:53 PM
The Martian Chronicles is by Ray Bradbury. I haven't read it, but I believe it's a collection of inter-related short stories.

When I said "you can't go wrong with anything they've written" I was repeating stuff I've heard. I actually haven't read much of them. :) I did read a few of the short stories in the collection I have by Asimov. And I haven't been disappointed in any of them so far . . . I've read even less of Bradbury. I keep meaning to read more by them . . . I usually end up reading Fantasy and Sci-Fantasy more than I'll read hard Science Fiction.

(I know, I know, as a SF fan and writer, I'm supposed to have read a lot more by them . . . what can I say, I really never lived up to things I'm "supposed" to have done :) Sorry to have mislead you into thinking I may know what I'm talking about. Everything I have read by them I've enjoyed, but I really am no expert on their material.)

I do have some books in the sci-fantasy genre I can recommend. They're by Julian May:

The Saga of the Pliocene Exile:
"The Many Colored Land"
"The Golden Torc"
"The Non-Born King"
"The Advesary"

It starts off a little slow, but once you get into it, it's difficult to put down.

PhoneLine
Sep 29th, 2000, 03:49:08 PM
Hmmmm, does anyone really 'read' Maxim? ;)

Jedieb
Sep 29th, 2000, 05:32:37 PM
Maxim has actual print inside of it? ;)