PDA

View Full Version : What did y'all think of X-Men?

Dutchy
Sep 28th, 2000, 04:49:00 PM
I LOVED the intro. That kicked ass. The movie was entertaining, but there were quite some slow moments too. I thought the special effects were great, but not unseen before. Plus, they were way too short: if you blinked your eyes the movie moved on to the next scene already. The scene with the children for instance (where one of them walked on water). I wanted to see more stuff like that. Most important: I was waiting for the WOW-moment. You know, you're watching a movie and you know there'll be a moment that you're like "WOW! What the hell was that??". Especially in movies like this. Well, X-Men didn't have a WOW-moment, IMO. It was all good, it even had quite a good story, but I missed that one jawdropping moment. All in all I liked it. It was definitely a good movie, but not great.

Kyp Durron
Sep 28th, 2000, 05:39:33 PM
I thought it was ok. Not enough action on it, that was my problem. It accomplished its story telling in 1.5 hours. A half hour's worth of additional action wouldn't have hurt the story. And the only 'WOW' moment for me was when Toad did his little Darth Maul tribute :)

ReaperFett
Sep 28th, 2000, 05:46:47 PM
Haven't seen it yet

Bromine
Sep 28th, 2000, 06:22:52 PM
Actually, I enjoyed the quick little effects. While some movies, like MI2 and Matrix, take anything cool and make sure you notice it, X-Men just had a whole bunch of really cool things happening and treated them as though they were commonplace (because in that world, they WERE commonplace). Kind of fun to go, "Hey, wait, was that guy walking on water?"
All in all, this movie is a great example of accomplishing what it set out to accomplish. It didn't attempt to be an epic and fall flat on its face. It attempted to be a fun action flick with a bit of a moral and it succeeded. Nothing worse than a movie that attempts to address all these deep issues and ends up an incoherent mess.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 28th, 2000, 07:53:05 PM
I thought it was one of the best movies of the summer! I loved it!

buff jedi 2
Sep 28th, 2000, 08:58:36 PM
I thought it was a very good movie alot better than I had thought,

The only things I really didnt like was that the GUy who played LOGAN was great from the neck up, But from there down he was way to small,he should have bulked up for the movie.

The girl that played ROGUE , her accent was awlful and she was nothing like the cartoon one.

but good movie.

buffjedi

bronto
Sep 28th, 2000, 09:50:20 PM
That girl that played Rogue is Anna Paquin. She won an Oscar for her role in "The Piano" and is the second youngest person to win an Oscar.

As for Logan,I thought Huge Jackman did a pretty good job. And that's coming from someone who didn't want him to be that good. I really wanted that role to go to Glenn Danzig, but he asked to be placed out of the running because of the time he would need to commit to making the film. He was working on his new album and was going on tour. Danzig looks alot like Wolverine. He's short, muscular, and old enough (45) to have played Logan.
http://www.the7thhouse.com/7d/d_71.htm

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 29th, 2000, 12:37:49 AM
I thought it was a great movie because unlike most comic book films the film concentrated on the story and the characters and not the effects, the effects were only there as the story dictated it. I also thought both Jackman and Panquin and also Mckellan were great in it. It has become my favorite movie of 2000.

Bromine
Sep 29th, 2000, 12:47:33 AM
Aside from the accent, I enjoyed Panquin's acting. Funny thing is, I've actually met people whose accent sort of comes and goes just like hers did, so maybe she was doing it on purpose.

JonathanLB
Sep 29th, 2000, 04:11:19 AM
X-Men is one of the best movie's of the year, I gave it four stars, or 95/100.

Hugh Jackman is a great Wolverine, the effects were really awesome, I saw the movie four times in theaters within about 3 weeks, it was just great.

Easily one of the best movies of the year and has TONS of replay value. Many movies are great, but a bit hard to watch more than maybe twice. X-Men is really easy to watch four times and still want to see more. The ending is fantastic, the music there is great (the music all around is great), etc.

A little more action might have been nice, but I felt it had a good amount...

I just cannot wait until the sequels, it could be a fantastic trilogy if done right. It was a real surprise for me, I honestly thought X-Men had a chance to be a real bomb, like another Batman and Robin or something. Instead, it turned out great, I shouldn't have doubted that director, he's very talented.

Dutchy
Sep 29th, 2000, 05:55:24 AM
That girl that played Rogue is Anna Paquin. She won an Oscar for her role in "The Piano" and is the second youngest person to win an Oscar.

Exactly, and what a fantastic performance that was. She really deserved that Oscar. Great movie, by the way, with some of the most wonderful music I've ever heard in a movie. Also, the visuals are stunning.

It was funny though... I watched X-Men and I was like: "who's she again?". So Rogue, that is. I couldn't come up with it and I waited for the end credits to find out. Doh! Anna Paquin of course. But hey, girls change a lot between 11 and 18 years old :)

PhoneLine
Sep 29th, 2000, 03:34:23 PM
I was mixed on it. As an action flick goes, it rocked. As far as story wise, it was so so. I think that the sequal should be better. They hinted many characters that they can use in sequals, so thats what Im waiting to see.

Darth23
Sep 29th, 2000, 05:48:25 PM
Surprisingly, I really liked X-men. I was pleased at how well they told the X-men story - how faithful they were to the spirit of the comic and the animated series. My only problem with is was that I thought it was too short. When the final battle came along it seemed really abrupt - like they needed to spend some more time hanging with Prof. X & Co. I'd really like to see it with stuff that was cut out - 20 minutes, 40 minutes - how ever much it was.

Also I've always been annoyed at the way Xavier seems to get conviently injured or sick just before a big battle. Plus, the sudden appearance of humor near the end of the film should have happened earlier. Most of the accents were problematic. Halley Berrie was pretty good as Storm (even though she was too short) but she had like 4 lines and 3 accents. But that's just nit-picking really.

Jackman and Paquin were excellent. And what surprised me the most was what a great job the film makers did it making it a real X-men story. I feel like they were actually comic book fans, rather than just Hollywood movie deal-makers looking for another franchise to suck the life out of.

I'm really glad that it did as well as it did at the B.O. Hopefully we'll be getting more comic book adaptations made by people who take the source material seriously.

Bromine
Sep 29th, 2000, 07:32:27 PM
Yeah, I think some producers look at a comic series and go, "Okay, we've got some people dressed up in real wild costumes and, HEY! Look at the guy with the funky hair and big gun! Let's do something with that!" :)
The X-Men universe was taken seriously, while still being fun. In contrast, all the Batman movies, to different extents, took place in settings that weren't realy believeable (especially "Batman and Robin").

JonathanLB
Sep 29th, 2000, 07:33:33 PM
lol, no offense but what are you talking about with the humor comment?

What theater did YOU go to?! I saw it four times, everyone cracked up when Wolverine flies out the window without his seat belt on and NUMEROUS other scenes there. The whole movie was real funny, they integrated lots of humor into the action.

I totally disagree with that comment, humor just at the end? Well there were some classic lines at the end, yeah, but it was throughout...

There was one really bad line in the movie, which was Storm's lightning quote, ugg... That is corny dialogue. Too bad because most of it ruled.

Hey, though, The Matrix even had two horrible lines and I gave it a perfect score. A few bad lines happen in even the greatest movies, 'cept for Star Wars I think :)

Matrix:

"Get up Trinity, get up." I cringe when I hear that, I am only finally getting desensitized to that horrid line. It's just stupid and unneeded, bugs the heck out of me.

The other is also Trinity.

"Oh? I believe Morphius means a lot more to me than he does to you and I believe..."

Uhhh...calm down lady, stupid line again.

buff jedi 2
Sep 29th, 2000, 08:39:45 PM
Just remember winning an Oscar means pretty much nothing.

Its just a few peoples opinion

remember anni hall ?? best picture in 77

or Daniel day lewis, my left foot???89

or Cher , moon struck???87

They give those awards away with out a thought as to what THE real people out here think.Not to mention what won the best special effects in 99??!!!!??

get where Im coming from.

and of course thats just my oppinion.

but either way the X-Men was A good movie.

buffjedi

Bromine
Sep 29th, 2000, 11:10:07 PM
You're so right about that scene with Wolvie being thrown through the window! What made it especially funny is that while laughing your head off, you realise you're laughing at a horrible car accident, and that makes you laugh harder! The timing was just perfect. If that scene had been done any other way, I think it would have just been jarring, not funny.

Other funny lines (In order of funnyness):

Wolvie: "What do they call you? Wheels?"

Rogue: "Can't help, or just don't care?"
Wolvie: "Pick one!"

Wolvie: (On seeing Cerebro)"This is a big metal ball!"(Or something like that)

Cyke: "How do I know it's you?"
Wolvie: "You're a dick!" (This line could have come off as really corny, but the timing and Jackman's attitude actually made it funny)

Mr Sleepless
Sep 29th, 2000, 11:11:36 PM
Annas a New Zealander (like myself) so dont call her accent crap! Actually it didnt sound very kiwi, kinda too British American.
I never saw the movie on the theatre I saw a download of it and the quality of it sucked, had I been in the theatre I would have proberly liked it more.

Darth23
Sep 30th, 2000, 12:34:12 AM
I guess the first think I found really funny was the 'Where's my bike" line. Which came kind of close to the 'You're a di</x>ck' line. There

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 30th, 2000, 12:23:46 PM
Wolvie: "What do they call you? Wheels?"
I think that is by far the best and funniest line in the movie. I totally wasn't expecting that one, and I lost it in the theater when I first saw it! I still chuckle now, just thinking about it!

ReaperFett
Sep 30th, 2000, 12:33:01 PM
Matric corny lines? What about 'Woah!'?

DvdJervs
Sep 30th, 2000, 11:24:53 PM
I loved the X-Men. I've never watched the cartoon or read the comics books before - about all I knew about it was that in involved a group of people with special powers. I also knew most of their names (Storm, Rogue, Wolverine, Cyclops, Professor X etc) but that was about it. I noticed that when it came out some fans thought they spent too long introducing all the characters - I 'm bloody glad they did otherwise I wouldn't have been able to have figured out exactly who each person was.

The standout for me was Patrick Stewart, who I thought brought such dignity to the character - not bad considering Professor X spends half his time either wheeling around in a wheelchair or laying crippled in bed. I also liked Hugh Jackman (Go the Aussies! :) ) and Anna Paquin (bless her).

Bromine
Oct 1st, 2000, 12:33:11 AM
I agree; if anything, they sped through the introductions too fast. They did spend some time talking about the school and mutants in general, but that was very integral to the story.

EP5GRAFLEX
Oct 1st, 2000, 03:11:22 AM
I thought I read or heard somewhere that Rouge's character was supposed to have a French-Cajun accent.

I loved the X-Men Movie, I came into it not knowing anything about X-Men other than who Wolverine is..Come on everyone knows who Wolverine is! My wife was there to fill me in however.

Jedi-Rocker:)

Darth23
Oct 1st, 2000, 05:30:59 PM
Nah - Gambit has a Cajun accent, Rogue was from Mississippi.

I saw X-men again last night - it didn't seemas short. Many of the humorous things that happened earlier inthe film were more inside joke things - for people who know X-men.

The lightning-toad line was pretty pathertic. Maybe they were using an early draft of the script that day.

Jedi Master Kyle
Oct 1st, 2000, 07:32:03 PM
You're right. When I first heard Storm speak that line, I couldn't believe it. It was so bad. So bad. :(

Challah
Oct 1st, 2000, 07:57:02 PM
I didn't think Singer did that good of a job, but dat's me. However as a moviegoer, I loved it and for one reason: Hugh Jackman.

If they'd made Wolvie look the way he did in the comics, no one on earth could have played him. He'd have looked absolutely ridiculous. Maybe some unknown Russian weight lifter could pull off the bulk, the height, and the body hair, but the character'd look insane. Jackman looked the way I thought Logan would look in reality, and behaved as the character would. Jackman manipulated me into caring for Logan, rooting for him in the end, had me curious about this guy's past. If an actor can do that, it's an amazing thing for me.

Not bad for a guy known for musicals:)

BristerM
Oct 1st, 2000, 08:09:35 PM
Yeah, you're going to be seeing a lot of Hugh Jackman in movies soon. X-MEN was really his big break.