PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Albums Ever

IndianaJones
Sep 26th, 2000, 07:43:47 PM
I know an album is considered a record/LP, but I consider CDs albums as well.

10.Limp Bizkit: Significant Other
9.Boys II Men: II
8.Beach Boys: Endless Summer
7.The Who: Tommy
6.Aerosmith: Pump
5.Queen: Night at the Opera
4.Led Zepplin: Zoso (IV)
3.Meatloaf: Bat Out of Hell
2.The Who: Who's Next
1.Guns N Roses: Appitite for Distruction

Challah
Sep 26th, 2000, 08:40:01 PM
Well for me no1 is Radiohead's OK COMPUTER

buff jedi 2
Sep 26th, 2000, 09:02:03 PM
Once agian Ill start from 1-10

1.Thriller: the greatest album ever

2.Any and every album Elvis ever had: the man the KING

3.New kids on the blocks,Hanging Tuff:still love it

4appitite for distruction:guns and roses: just dam6 good ROCK

5.New kids on the block, step by step

6.culture club, Color by numbers:I was just a little kid

7.def lepoards, hysteria

8.victory, the jacksons

9.garth brooks , roping the wind

10.culture club, waking up with the house on fire.

buff jedi

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 26th, 2000, 09:21:24 PM
Pearl Jam- Ten and VS
Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream
Tragically Hip- Up to Here and Fully Completely
Blue Rodeo- 5 Days in July
Dave Matthews Band- Crash
I Mother Earth- Scenery and Fish
Matthew Good Band- Beautiful Midnight
Nina Gordon- Tonight and the Rest of my life
Weezer- blue album
Guns and Roses- Appetite for Destruction
Veruca Salt- Eight Arms to hold You

these are just my favorite albums, and not necessarily the best albums ever made.

Jedieb
Sep 26th, 2000, 10:04:54 PM
Like JMK I admit these are my favorites. I by no means consider them to be the "greatest of all time".

1. Frontiers - Journey
2. Synchronicity - The Police
3. It's A Kind of Magic - Queen
4. Can't Hold Back - Eddie Money
5. Escape - Journey

I actually have the LPs for #s 1, 3, 4, & 5. I'm a child of the 80s.

I love many of the albums you guys listed as well. The G&R and Who stuff in particular. But everything buff listed is... scary.

IndianaJones
Sep 26th, 2000, 10:17:50 PM
I'd like to explain my choices, cause I think it makes things more interesting.

10.Limp Bizkit: Significant Other-Very good, esspecially for a second.followup album. Many great songs.

9.Boys II Men: II-They revolutionized R&B music, and this album is the greates R&B album ever.

8.Beach Boys: Endless Summer-This is so good it is like a greatest hits collection.

7.The Who: Tommy-A revolutionary album. A soundtrack to a movie/play that wasn't made till years later. A story set to music.

6.Aerosmith: Pump-Another near greatest hits collection

5.Queen: Night at the Opera-Like the title, every song, esspecially Bohemian Rapsody, are like a visit to a psychadelic opera.

4.Led Zepplin: Zoso (IV)-ENOUGH SAID

3.Meatloaf: Bat Out of Hell-Each song by Meatloaf/Steinman is like a Mini-Rock Opera. Different and original, Meatloaf/Steinman's music is the most original to have hit the market, ever.

2.The Who: Who's Next-Although filled with tracks that were part of Townshend's failed film project, each song is amazing-Namely Baba O'Reily and Behind Blue Eyes

1.Guns N Roses: Appitite for Distruction -This is almost a Greatest Hits collection in itself, save 2 or 3 songs.

bronto
Sep 27th, 2000, 03:18:54 AM
Rather then "greatest", I will call this my favorite albums of all time. These are albums that I never get tired of and listen to over and over and over and.......

1. Sgt. Pepper (1967) - The Beatles - To me theses guys are the greatest band ever! For an album that's 33 years old it still sounds very modern. Plus it features my favorite Beatles song "A Day in the Life".

2. Ten Sumner's Tales (1993) - Sting - I've probably listen to this hundreds of times. Some of Sting's best song writing is on this one. I'm big on songwriter's that tell stories, and this album is full of them. No filler on this one.

3. Bloodletting (1990) - Concrete Blonde - Another album of stories. From aids and alcoholism, to Vampires. Not to mention my favorite female vocalist, Johnette Napolitano, was in this band. To bad the song they chose as the single("Joey") is the worst song on the album. Unforunately this band broke up in 1993. Fact fact: This band was named by Michael Stipe of REM.

4. Blizzard of Oz (1981) - Ozzy Osbourne - This is the album that got me into metal when as 6 year olds me and my cousin "borrowed" this 8-track from an older cousin's truck. Great incorporation of classical music into rock music by guitarist Randy Rhoads. And no, the song "Suicide Solution" is not about killing yourself. It's solution as in a liquid "solution" and is about the dangers of alcohol. This song was written after the death of Ozzy's friend and AC/DC vocalist Bon Scott.

5. Piece of Mind (1983) - Iron Maiden - Another album of stories. "The Trooper" - The Crimean War of the British against the Russians. "To Tame a Land" - Based on the Sci-Fi book Dune. "Where Eagles Dare" - Based on the Clint Eastwood film. "Flight of Icarus" - Based on the Greek myth. Some of the best rock guitar playing is on this album (my favorite guitar solo of all time is in "The Trooper"), not to mention one of the best bass players around (Steve Harris) is in this band.

6. Screaming for Vengeance (1982) - Judas Priest - My favorite metal band of all time, and my three favorite Priest songs are on this one. "Electric Eye", "Devil's Child", and "You Got Another Thing Coming". I like every song on this album.

7. Metallica (Black Album) (1991) - Metallica - Again another album of all around good tunes. Some of their best stuff is off this one. "Enter Sandman", "Unforgiven", "Sad But True" (the song Kid Rock rips off on his "American Badass"), "Nothing Else Matters", ....

8. Lucifuge (1990) - Danzig - In a time of Hollywood glam hair bands, Danzig was just what I was looking for. Reminiscent of Black Sabbath (not fast, but heavy). This was their second album and my fav from them. Love Glenn Danzig's voice. It's deep, and to me it's a mix of Jim Morrison and Elvis. Fast facts: Danzig was thrown off of the Disney owned Hollywood Records because Roy Disney felt they were too Satanic. Glenn Danzig has written songs for Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash.

9. So (1986) - Peter Gabriel - Some of my favorite songs come off this one. "Sledgehammer", "In Your Eyes", the duet with Kate Bush "Don't Give Up", "Mercy Street", "Big Time"... Not to mention some of the best videos ever made are for songs off this album.

10. 1984 - Van Halen - This album is the reason I took up the guitar. Some of the best guitar playing ever is on this album from who may be the best rock guitarist ever, Eddie Van Halen. "Panama", "Jump", Hot for Teacher", "I'll Wait", this album is all good.

11. Last Temptation (1994) - Alice Cooper. Not one of Cooper's more popular albums but one of my favorite's of all time. Wish they would have market this better. It's a concept album that tells one long story and is the album that got me through college. Fast Fact: Marvel turned this album into a comic book.

12. Destroyer (1976) - Kiss. Out of 30 some Kiss albums, this one is their best. From, the crunch of "God of Thunder" to the strings of "Beth" this album has become a classic. Not to mention "Detriot Rock City" is off this one. I've seen these guys in concert twice and nothing beats their live show.

13. Paraniod (1970) - Black Sabbath - Another album that has become a classic. Some of their best songs are off this. "Iron Man", "Paranoid", "Planet Caravan, Hand of Doom", Faires Wear Boots"....

14. Business as Usual (1981) - Men at Work - These guys from Australia were my favorite band in the 1st grade and I still listen to this album. Remember "Down Under" and "Who Can it Be Now"? I like every song on this album.

15. Appetite for Destruction (1986) - Guns N Roses - Like Indiana said, every song on here is great. I like how Axel is able to change his voice for the different songs. Includes "Welcome to the Jungle", "Sweet Child O Mine" and "Paradise City", plus my favs "Night Train", "My Michelle", and "Rocket Queen". Their albums Use Your Illusion I & II could have been just as great if they would have thrown out the filler and made one great album instead of two alright albums.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 27th, 2000, 07:06:39 PM
I guess I may as well explain my faves then...

Pearl Jam- Ten and VS- Ten changed modern rock, VS stamped Pearl Jam's name in music forever.

Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream- A tremendous album, it is still better than any Pumpkins album by leaps and bounds. Have you ever heard Mayonnaise or Silverf*ck?

Tragically Hip- Up to Here and Fully Completely- Canada's best kept secret at their very best. Straight up rock and roll all the way.

Blue Rodeo- 5 Days in July- Another Canadian secret, lead singer Jim Cuddy is by far Canada's best male singer.

Dave Matthews Band- Crash- drummer Carter Beauford. Nuff said.

I Mother Earth- Scenery and Fish- Like Santana, only waaaaaay heavier and worthy of a good mosh pit! :)

Matthew Good Band- Beautiful Midnight- This is their 3rd album, and they're starting to really heat up in Canada, pure rock!

Nina Gordon- Tonight and the Rest of my life- Ex veruca salt singer puts together one of the catchiest collections of songs I've ever heard.

Weezer- blue album- Ever been to a party? This should be the soundtrack to that party.

Guns and Roses- Appetite for Destruction- Like this needs to be explained!

Veruca Salt- Eight Arms to hold You- Two hotties rock out better than most guys for 51 minutes. Doesn't hurt that Bob Rock produced, you might remember him from Metallica's black album? :)

buff jedi 2
Sep 27th, 2000, 07:48:36 PM
OHH come on EBS ,Ill tell you something scary, I still have a new kids on the block poster hanging in One of my spare Bedrooms!!!!!!!!no joke

Does that mean Im mental?????????

Buffjedi

BristerM
Sep 27th, 2000, 09:37:42 PM
15. SMASHING PUMPKINS - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness...rock opera at its best. The last great album of the grunge period; the Pumpkins truly rock.

14. GREEN DAY - Dookie...this album somehow manages to put the feelings of every 17 year old boy into 14 catchy songs. "Sassafras Roots" (track nine) is easily one of the best and most upbeat rock songs of all time, although it was never even released as a single.

13. NINE DAYS - The Madding Crowd...I know you're all gonna say "NINE DAYS?? WHAT THE HELL?" but this album contains 12 of the best straight rock songs of the year 2000; "If I Am" and "Revolve" rank up there with the great pop-rock songs of the 90's.

12. PEARL JAM - Binaural...classic Pearl Jam. Not the kind of album that blows everything away and changes music forever, like Pearl Jam's "Ten" or Nirvana's "Nevermind"; rather, a showcase of the best music Pearl Jam has to offer.

11. THIRD EYE BLIND - Third Eye Blind...easily one of the best alternative rock albums of the last ten years. From the catchiness of the smash hit "Semi-Charmed Life" (my all time fave song) to more brooding, serious, sad tracks like "The Background", "God of Wine", and "How's It Gonna Be?" this album leaves a permanent impression.

10. EVE 6 - Eve 6...an excellent alt-punk album; it's this high on the list because it was made solely by a trio of 16 year olds who are the most musically talented teens since the Jackson Five.

09. MATCHBOX 20 - Yourself or Someone Like You...I should hate Matchbox 20. I mean, they almost singlehandedly ended the grunge period and brought on the more current crop of "rock bands that really mean it, man"; but Matchbox 20's debut album is just too good to hate. Tracks 1 through 7 are the some of the best straight rock songs of the mid-90's.

08. LIVE - Throwing Copper...like Third Eye Blind's debut album but even better. One of the best alternative rock acts of the 80's and 90's.

07. BARENAKED LADIES - Stunt...something is so undeniably fun about this album by the Barenaked Ladies that it begs to be played over and over again...definitely one of the most catchy albums I've ever heard.

06. TOM PETTY - Full Moon Fever...as classic as 90's rock gets, this album is Tom Petty in his best form. "Free Fallin'" and "Feel a Whole Lot Better" are two of my favorite songs of all time.

05. NIRVANA - Nevermind...well, a favorite albums list would never be complete without Nirvana's "Nevermind" on it. This album changed the way people thought, talked, and saw music forever. Led by "Smells Like Teen Spirit", this album is the best grunge album ever.

04. GOO GOO DOLLS - A Boy Named Goo...rocketing back and forth between pop, rock, and punk, this album showcases just how talented the Goo Goo Dolls really are and is in my opinion 1995's version of "Nevermind".

03. SMASHING PUMPKINS - Siamese Dream...THIS ALBUM RULES. 'Nuff said. Top cuts: "Today" and "Silver@#%$". Awesome, awesome music.

02. 3 DOORS DOWN - "The Better Life"...you're probably thinking, "why the hell is Three Doors Down this high on the list?" Well, that's because I see 3 Doors Down as having so much promise in the future. This album of theirs is basically grunge music; it's incredibly nostalgic to listen to. They also remind me of Pearl Jam, my all time favorite band. If they continue on their current path, they're going to end up being one of the greatest modern rock bands of all time.

01. PEARL JAM - Ten...Pearl Jam is my all-time favorite band and consequently "Ten" is my all-time favorite album. In my opinion, "Ten" changed the music world even more than "Nevermind" did, because it gave new depth to rock music that had not been seen before, even in Nirvana's music.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 27th, 2000, 09:55:46 PM
Damn, I forgot about Throwing Copper and Stunt. Oddly enough, they're both in my cd player now...weird...

EP5GRAFLEX
Sep 28th, 2000, 05:01:34 AM
If anyone like's Alternative Brit-Pop stlye Rock then may I suggest you listen to my band HAPPY ENDINGS on mp3.com you may hear something you like, my favorite bands include: The Beatles, Nirvana, Oasis and Radiohead and sometimes it shows in my music. I know our name HAPPY ENDINGS sounds wimpy but it was meant originally in sarcasm, most people at our shows are like what's their name? HAPPY ENDINGS!? Then we kick your as-s sonically! The more plays we get, the more royalites mp3.com pays us! So help a fellow SW nut out and click on my banner below and hit play on all the songs!:)

"Peace and Love and Empathy" Imperial Teen-You're One
Jedi-Rocker:)

Kyp Durron
Sep 28th, 2000, 05:43:11 PM
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
Dr Dre - The Chronic
NWA - Straight Outta Compton

Hmm...I guess I'm the only rap fan here eh? :)

BristerM
Sep 30th, 2000, 11:14:53 PM
Hey, I like rap! Just not real hardcore stuff by people who pretend to be tough like DMX and Eminem. But I like the "fun @#%$" rap songs and artists like Nelly, any Beastie Boys song, "Party Up" by DMX even though I hate his music on the whole, and almost any rap song with two or more artists featured on it (except any collaboration by Dr. Dre and Eminem). Something is really fun about two artists playing lyrical tag in a rap song (ex. "Things That Make Me Go Mmm" by someone I can't remember and "I Got a Man" by Positive K in a collaboration with some long-gone female rapper).

Eminem really bugs me though. Here he is, already having sold over 7 million copies of the Marshall Mathers LP, which should eventually sell closer to 15 million copies, and he's constantly ripping on and making fun of other people. Granted, Carson Daly may be a poser fag and Fred Durst may be in bed with Christina Aguilera, but do they deserve this treatment? When Em is perfect, he can start ripping on people. And no one is perfect.

Darth23
Oct 2nd, 2000, 12:05:01 PM
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - (duh!)

Pink Floyd - Animals

Beatles - Abbey Road

Concrete Blonde - Concrete Blonde :-P (The one with Still in Hollywood)

Garbage - version 2.0

Talking Heads - Little Creatures

Strange Days Soundtrack

U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky (EP)

Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones

Nirvana - Nevermind.

Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill

Just 11 of my top 10 favs.

;)

bronto
Oct 2nd, 2000, 02:31:39 PM
Good to see another Concrete Blonde fan here. I'M A HUGE FAN! Some good choices on your list Darth23 (Floyd, Heads, Abbey Road).