PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pierre Trudeau dies

Bromine
Oct 1st, 2000, 09:12:49 PM
This actually happened several days ago. For those who don't know, he was a former Prime Minister of Canada. He was very popular and did a lot for the country. Now, I'm not into politics at all, and I don't get all emotional over celebrities either, but I must say I was choked when I heard the news of his death. I remember learning about him in history class.
Just out of curiousity, does anyone here even know who he is, or heard of his death? I'd like to think the news made headlines outside of Canada, but I'm doubtful.

Jedi Master Kyle
Oct 1st, 2000, 09:16:57 PM
I was saddened to learn of his death. He was the best politician ever to run Canada. He made anyone he ever debated with look like a mental midget. He was so poised and cool when he was in power. But his health really went downhill when his son died last winter. For those who don't know who he was, he's kind of Canadian equivalent of a Kennedy. Love him or hate him, EVERYONE respected him. What a loss for Canada.

ReaperFett
Oct 1st, 2000, 09:17:34 PM
we heard of his death, but I only know he was your PM once

Jedi Master Kyle
Oct 1st, 2000, 09:25:18 PM
Prince Andrew is actually coming down for the funeral as a representative of the Queen.

DvdJervs
Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:08:54 PM
We heard of his death, but I only know he was your PM once
I thought he was PM 3 times, but I'd have to double check that.

I heard about it down here in Australia, but only on SBS World News (no surprise - all the other major networks have their news programs spend more time reporting on someone's dead cat or lost dog).

Pity he's passed away, but everyone does eventually. :(

Bromine
Oct 2nd, 2000, 07:18:31 PM
I'd have to say it was one of the noblest ceremonies I've ever seen. They kept the Parliament building open until 3:30 a.m. to let everyone a chance to file past the coffin. The body will then be transported via a train to Montreal, stopping in several small towns along the way. There was also a collossal line for the opportunity to write a message in a book that will be presented to the Trudeau family. Nice that everything remained dignified. IMO, funerals like Princess Diana's went overboard and became a spectacle more than anything.

Jedi Master Kyle
Oct 2nd, 2000, 07:58:25 PM
Poor Princess Diana's funeral was turned into entertainment, and used as another opportunity to cash in. Trudeau's train passed by Dorval (just outside Montréal) and that's about 30 seconds by car from where I work, and I couldn't get away from my desk to go pay tribute. Apparently there were alot of people there though. The traffic in downtown Montréal today is nuts as a result though!