PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think of Star Trek?

Bromine
Oct 5th, 2000, 01:59:32 AM
Personally, I loved the original series and I enjoyed The Next Generation a lot, but the last few seasons (after Gene Roddenberry died) the show took on a different tone. Instead of being about exploration and humanity and having some intriguing morals, they became shows about some people in space. They were still enjoyable, but it wasn't the same. I felt the same about Deep Space 9: Fun to watch and engaging story, but it definitely wasn't in the same spirit as the originals.
As for Voyager, well, I don't consider that Star Trek so much as I consider it a mixture of fanfic and satire.:)

Darth23
Oct 5th, 2000, 04:32:05 AM
Well I grew up onthe Original Series and loved it. When Next Generation came along I TRIED to watch it but it wasn't very good. I had a room mate who would watch it all the time - so I checked it occasionally. Somewhere alongthe line Next Gen got a LOT better. They still had a really annoying problem, I thought - all the main characters were really good friends with each other and everyone got along.

I liked Deep Space 9 from the beginning. Some of the first season episones were OKAY, but I thought the show really hit it's stride with "Duet". Lot of people didn't like DS9 because it wasn't about a specific ship flying arounf the galaxy - But I loved it. First of all every character had their own agenda. I alao loved the way that the show explored Klingon, Cardassian, Ferengi and especially Bajoran cultures in depth.

I thought that some of the political twists and turns were a little contrived, but overall I felt that DS9 was the best series since Trek Classic.

Voyager isn't really that great, but I don't think it's really bad either. We lost it here for a year and a half when UPN took it over, so I haven't really gotten caught up on all the episodes.

Bromine
Oct 5th, 2000, 05:08:48 PM
Yeah, having a lot of different races and governments (instead of just the Federation) was the best part of DS9. I think its main strength is that it was different from the other Treks. Next Generation was an attempt to basically update the series but continue on where TOS left off, but DS9 could explore totally different story ideas, since they were essentially in one spot the whole time and could have recurring characters and races. Like I said, I enjoyed it for the most part, although I thought it got repetitive at the end. The whole last season, practically every episode was a big battle to end all battles, promising to turn the tide of the war.

ReaperFett
Oct 5th, 2000, 05:24:51 PM
Hate Star Trek desperately. I'm not really a big Science Fiction fan though, so that may be the reason

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2000, 06:34:37 PM
Classic Trek
Grew up watching Shatner's overacting and Kelly and Nimoy's great banter. I loved it, it was great fun, even when it took itself too seriously.
STNG
This show really got better as time went by. By the 3rd season they were putting out some really great shows, many of which I thought were better than the original. And that 2-part Borg episode in which Picard was assimilated was the best Star Trek I've ever seen, MUCH better than First Contact and that ridiculous Borg Queen.
DS9
Okay, but I never really got into it. I never really liked the Cardassians either. They just never interested me, even when they were on STNG.
Voyager
Hard to get into a series when the captain sounds like Kermit the Frog.

Jedi Master Kyle
Oct 5th, 2000, 07:09:31 PM
I like to laugh at the original series, but Kirk and Spock kicked! I never got into the next generation or any other show after it, but I do enjoy the movies.

Challah
Oct 5th, 2000, 07:38:42 PM
I never really got into TOS. Before my time. However I just wrote a paper comparing Beowulf to Klingon society, which was really cool. The Kirk character always intrigued me, he was the perfect captain---he was perfectly human. He's got this synthesis of Spock and McCoy going on, makes for a great guy.

I grew up on TNG, and it remains maybe the best show I've seen on TV for me. Roddenberry was a man ahead of his time, one of those guys that few people truly get, but you can still see his brilliance. The people on the show were faithful to him and his vision after his death I think, and those people were phenomenal writers. TNG produced some of the greatest characters I've ever seen, all played by great, talented folk. Picard, Data, Goldberg's character( name escaped me), Q, and the wealth of civilizations and villains seemed really tangible to me. Too bad it was canceled:(

I was always bored by DS9 for some reason and I hate Voyager vehemently. Trek's produced some great films and television series though.

DvdJervs
Oct 6th, 2000, 12:15:00 AM
Original Series:
Watched these a lot when I was a kid (reruns obviously). Enjoyed it a lot, especially Spock's ears. :)

Next Generation:
Watched it regularly, but only after the 2nd season (or therabouts). It was good - Patrick Stewart IMHO was the standout. Major problem was that it lacked the
conflict that existed between McCoy and Spock. And that stupid Wesley Crusher kid. If he was a genius then he should have been smart enough to stay home.

Deep Space 9:
Hardly watched it, but neat idea all the same.

Voyager:
Interesting scenario but within the first few episodes it kind of turned into a Next Generation clone except it had different characters and another ship.

As for the movies (surprised that they've hardly been mentioned here) the even umbered ones are the best, with Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan taking the gold medal. Really though I feel that the Next Generation movies lack that something that the Original Series movies (even numbered movies of course) had.

I hope they give the franchise a bit of a rest. Ever since 1987 they've been flat out trying to flog it for all its worth. It badly needs a break.

Bromine
Oct 6th, 2000, 01:31:10 AM
I think the problem with the movies, specifically the Next Generation ones, is that the quality of the episodes is so high (effects-wise as well as story-wise), the movies don't look that great. I can think of a number of episodes that I'd rather watch on a big screen than the movies. "Generations" would have made a decent episode and "Insurrection" would have been passable. "First Contact" was okay, but I think there have been better shows dealing with the Borg. This is probably more of a compliment to the series than an insult to the movies, I suppose.

I agree that the series needs a rest. I felt "Voyager" was an embarrassment as a series and basically turned the Star Trek franchise into a sell-out the way they would use any gimmick they felt like (IMO, at least), so I think they should end it before they do any more damage. Unfortuneately, another series is supposedly slated for next season, isn't it?

I used to be really into Star Trek, but I've become rather bored with it. I suppose I'd eventually become bored with Star Wars as well, if they made 4 television shows and nine movies. Well, maybe not.;)

Jedieb
Oct 6th, 2000, 03:30:53 PM
What made Kirk great? The guy could get laid on virtually any planet. Now that's what being captain of the Enterprise is all about. For Yoda's sake, Kirk even hooked up with a GREEN chick! McCoy was probalby treating him for every known STD in the galaxy! ;)

Bromine
Oct 6th, 2000, 06:32:08 PM
There were three things you could count on in every Episode: Kirk would kiss a hot chick, have a fistfight, and somehow lose his shirt.:)

buff jedi 2
Oct 6th, 2000, 08:37:38 PM
It really SUCKED!!!!

But like some of you said KIRK was the man.

DvdJervs
Oct 7th, 2000, 05:21:17 AM
I think this sums up the 2 captains' personalities perfectly:

* Kirk bears his chest to fight Klingons on some bad ass planet.

* Picard bears his chest to drink tea in his quarters so he won't ruin his uniform.

Nuff said. :)

DvdJervs
Oct 7th, 2000, 06:51:35 AM
Hey! No one has mentioned the 'Star Trek Animated Series' (based around the Original Series) yet! It was cool too, but was more kiddie oriented than the Original Series.

Darth Turbogeek
Oct 7th, 2000, 07:08:14 AM
The original - Ugh. Not really

TNG - Not bad, some are brillaint. Picard and Data are favorites. Wesley must die

DS9 - Neighbours in Space. Deep Space 90210. Sucked

Voyager - Sad. I'm sorry, but Star Trek is the Enterprise. Awful

Movies - 1... Okay. 2 Good. 3 Well..... 4 LOVED IT!!! 5 Why?
Next Gen - First contact liked it, Insurrection oh God why. Star Wars Trailer was far better.

Jedieb
Oct 7th, 2000, 08:51:39 PM
I remember the cartoon serires Jervs. The best thing about it was the fact that they had the original actors doing the voices. It wasn't ground breaking anime, but it was still fun.

Darth23
Oct 7th, 2000, 09:39:15 PM
Star Trek is NOT the Enterprise. That's just a small part of Trek. There are a Billion stories in the Naked Galaxy. :)

I think it would be possible to have a Trek WITHOUT focusing on the Federation.

You could even do a mini-series based on the Mirror Mirror universe revisited in DS9.

--------

Odo - You'd shoot a man in the back?
Garik - Well it's the safest way.

------

Garik - Cardassians have a saying 'Always burn your bridges - you never know who's following you'

:)

Bromine
Oct 7th, 2000, 10:37:28 PM
I agree, Star Trek is beyond the Enterprise. That's like saying Star Wars is the Millennium Falcon.

I think Voyager's biggest problem was that it brought nothing new (at least, nothing new that was any good) to the table. You can't have another series about a ship; that's been done and done well. You need a fresh idea. The other problem with Voyager that ties in with the first is just awful writing. Even a casual Trek fan will be picking out fundamental errors in both the "Trek" science and real-world science used on the show. Instead of making up a good sci-fi story like The Next Generation did, they'd just throw a bunch of technical terms together and say it's too complex to understand. (And don't get me started on the "Warp 10: Infinity speed" rant...I'll be here for hours.:) )

DvdJervs
Oct 8th, 2000, 05:45:19 PM
Star Trek is definitely not wholly dependant on the Enterprise.

That doesn't stop the Enterprise from being one of the most famous starships in the world though. :)

Jedieb
Oct 9th, 2000, 08:28:43 PM
You know you've become part of Americana when you get a damn shuttle named after you! I believe NASA even had members of the Star Trek cast at the Enterprise's christening. I'm waiting for a shuttle to be named after the Falcon. Now there would be the proper flagship of the U.S. space shuttle fleet!

DvdJervs
Oct 10th, 2000, 04:01:30 AM
It wasn't a proper space shuttle though was it? Just a prototype/test shuttle I heard.

Darth23
Oct 11th, 2000, 06:58:30 PM
Correct. it's the one they did glider tests on - no engines.

That's what us Trekkers get for wanting to be first. ;)

RHJediKnight
Oct 12th, 2000, 05:29:34 PM
Pfft, 'Trekkers.' That is so lame. ST fans were, are, and always will be 'Trekkies.' Deal with it. :p

DvdJervs
Oct 13th, 2000, 04:15:56 AM
The thing that scares me about Trekkies that for some bizarre reason I, a person who only sheds a casual interest in ST, seems to know more about it then half of the so-called Trekkies out there. :)

Bromine
Oct 13th, 2000, 06:22:32 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess they pretend to be Trekkies so everyone will think they're cool.;)

Darth23
Oct 17th, 2000, 05:26:44 PM
Well Trekkers is better than Warsies! ;)

I was actually in a Star Trek club when I was in high school ( I went to a nerd school, in case you were wondering). There was a time that I could name every Episode (Trek Classic) from the first 30 seconds of the opening.

:)

Bromine
Oct 17th, 2000, 06:08:43 PM
What do they call us, anyway? "Warsies" sounds worse than "Trekkies"! Actually, maybe it's better we don't have a name and are just "Star Wars fans". I find it quite unnerving when someone refers to themselves as a Trekkie like it's their religion or nationality or something.:)

Btw, I bet I can still name all the original episodes from the first thirty seconds.;)

Darth23
Oct 18th, 2000, 08:42:58 AM
Warsies is a term I made up - ya gotta use SOMETHING. ;)

Trekkie is usually a term that NON Star Trek fans use (in my experience).

Jedieb
Oct 19th, 2000, 10:30:50 AM
I know I can't be the only one that does a captain Kirk impersonation. Why that man never won an Emmy or an Oscar for his performance as Kirk is beyond me. Stupid Academy! ;)

Darth23
Oct 19th, 2000, 10:37:13 AM
He's an innovator - ahead of his time. :p