PDA

View Full Version : Very small decline for Remember the Titans: 6%

Dutchy
Oct 8th, 2000, 02:39:16 PM
It grossed an estimated $19.6M this weekend which is a very small 6% decline compared to its $20.9M gross from last weekend. Which of course is caused too by its 45% screen increasement, but it's still impressive I thought. Or isn't it? Well, whatever :)

DvdJervs
Oct 8th, 2000, 05:49:02 PM
Not bad, but not THAT impressive. 45% more screens is quite a big increase. :)

Darth23
Oct 9th, 2000, 12:02:41 AM
Well I think Blair Witch had a 100% increase in screens last year and basically kept pace with the week before - so Titan's result isn't too bad. Especially considering how week the BO has been for several weeks AND considering the fact that there was a 30 million dollar opener this weekend.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2000, 12:25:21 AM
To me the bigger surprise is the strong opening for Meet the Parents 29.1 is a record for October and huge for comedy. Especially since nobody had this movie opening with more that 18 or 19 million. It easily will be October's biggest movie probably taking in between 120-160 and holding on to the #1 position next weekend.

BristerM
Oct 9th, 2000, 08:20:20 AM
I was really surprised at that too, Master Carr. I like both DeNiro and Stiller as actors so I'm glad their movie is doing so well. I saw it last night and I have to say it's funny as hell.

Get Carter flopped this weekend, and after seeing it on Saturday I can see why. It's not a bad movie, but it's...different. REALLY different. It's an ultramodern action flick, and I think the director was trying to set a benchmark with this movie, but it didn't work.

Let me explain: in GET CARTER, when Stallone walks down the street, he doesn't walk down the street. Instead, the movie camera takes pictures of him from several different angles, blurs them, and blends them all together, so Stallone walking down the street now looks like a pile of clothes in someone's messed up crack induced dream. Several people walked out of the theater because the camera switched scenes so fast it could give you epilepsy, and several times while watching the movie the dance music combined with the thud of skull against concrete was enough to make your head explode.

Basically, don't waste your time with this movie. It's not THAT bad, but it's hard to watch and at the end, it doesn't do anything for you. The director obviously wanted this movie to start a new wave of ultramodern thrillers, but after the commercial failure of this movie, it won't.

There are a few cool parts of the movie though. One is at the very end when Stallone meets with Mike Caine in the garage, has words with him, and Caine leaves. As he's walking away, Stallone says, "Hey," and Caine goes "I'm not turning 'round!" in his British accent.
So Stallone goes, "Suit yourself" and shoots him three times through the back.

But overall, this movie isnt worth it

DvdJervs
Oct 10th, 2000, 03:58:51 AM
Well I strongly suggest everyone see the original 'Get Carter' with had Michael Caine in the lead role. Great movie.

The new version hasn't opened in Australia but I already have serious doubts that this version could live up to the original.

Itala Marzullo
Oct 21st, 2000, 12:23:32 PM
I consider this movie to be more crime movie than an actio movie..thouhg the trailers deceived you there are a few good scenes...such as the little guy begging for his life.."PLEASE Mr. Carter don't shoot me!!"