PDA

View Full Version : WHAT LIES BENEATH: A Quick Review

BristerM
Jul 28th, 2000, 08:01:14 AM
I got pretty much what I expected out of What Lies Beneath--a mildly entertaining supernatural drama reminiscent of the Sixth Sense. The only problem is, the Sixth Sense was about eight hundred times better than this movie.

SPOILERS AHEAD

The first hour of this movie was painfully slow. A couple people in the theater I was at actually walked out on the beginning. Basically in this part we learn about Michelle Pfieffer's car accident, her slightly unstable psyche, and the fact that everyone is looking out for her since she almost killed herself. We also learn about Harrison Ford's obsession with his work, his love for his wife (Pfieffer), and his exasperation with her when she starts to hear noises in the house.

It starts out with bumps and whispers in the house at night. Doors open unexpectedly, pictures are knocked down by some unseen force and shatter on the ground, and slowly (painfully so) these happenings drive Pfieffer to the edge. She tries to get the "ghost" or whatever it is out of the house by various means (Ouija boards, exorcism by burning a locket of the suspected ghost's hair) but in the end they don't really succeed.

I was really getting ready to walk out since the story looked like it was going nowhere, but in the last forty-five minutes the movie got interesting. We find out that the ghost is the spirit of a young girl that Harrison Ford had had an affair with the previous year. Since Ford didn't want to ruin his marriage, he tried to break it off with her. She threatened to tell his wife, though, and he killed her so she wouldn't tell.

The writer/director tries to put in a Sixth Sense-like twist by making Harrison Ford a killer who now has to kill his wife, but it doesn't work that well. It's really not much of a "surprise" persay.

But anyway, the last forty-five minutes of the movie are about Harrison Ford playing a game of cat-and-mouse with Michelle Pfieffer. There's lots of blood and some violence, and it makes the movie worth it. The climatic scene is very strange but pretty cool.

I'd recommend this movie, but don't rush out to see it. You should see it in theaters, however, because the jumps out of nowhere and the scary effects won't be half as frightening or as good on a TV screen. It's worth the price of admission. Rating: 3.2/5 stars

Jedieb
Jul 28th, 2000, 08:17:53 AM
I liked it more than Brister did, but I agree that it was no Sixth Sense. I thought the first hour was rather suspenseful, but it did drag at times. Overall, a good movie but it can certainly wait for cable or video.

JonathanLB
Jul 31st, 2000, 07:18:26 AM
Worst movie of the summer, but that doesn't say much since it has been a great summer.

I'd give it 2/4 stars. It pretty much sucked. Brister is right, the first hour blew hard, way too long of a movie. It FINALLY gets interesting, but that is not enough to save the stinker.

How this thing managed to pull of good declines amazes me, my parents both hated it, I thought it was average (which means it sucked since I've not seen an average movie all summer, lol).

Of all the movies to have good staying power, do not see What Lies Beneath, because honestly, WHO CARES WHAT LIES BENEATH? lol. Not much lies beneath, obviously.

BristerM
Jul 31st, 2000, 08:43:16 AM
LOL, quite!

Jedieb
Jul 31st, 2000, 10:53:13 AM
Does Jon every like anything that doesn't race along the screen at 100mph? ;)

auriga
Aug 2nd, 2000, 12:08:01 AM
I liked it

I think the slow pace at the beginning sort of built some suspense and it wasn't all boring, there were several scenes that kept me interested. I thought the story was a little unbeleivable but fun nevertheless, and finally I think the movies strength is the direction, it's in the same style as hitch@#%$ almost but it's not a complete mimic, Zemeckis was really good in this one.

BristerM
Aug 2nd, 2000, 01:19:17 PM
if it keeps dropping at this low a rate and is still around for labor day, i'll go see it that weekend and see if i like it any better. obviously if it's dropping at only 23% per weekend, someone has to be liking it.

CMJ
Aug 2nd, 2000, 01:21:03 PM
But most people that I have talked to who saw it seemed to enjoy it. This baby is gonna have great legs I think.

BristerM
Aug 3rd, 2000, 10:39:31 AM
Quite like the hot babe I @#%$ed last night...wait what were we talking about again???!!! Oh man!

Dutchy
Nov 5th, 2000, 07:15:51 AM
Saw it yesterday and I loved it. This movie scared the living sh!t out of me. I must have been several years since a movie did that to me. Some scaremoments were cheap where others were subtle. I loved it right off the bat. I thought it was compelling in to what was happening at the neighbor's house. Especially the scene with the eye before the fence, wow!

The acting was convincing and the plot was interesting and made sense, even though the ending was kinda weak. Didn't matter, coz I'd been entertained big time by this movie already. Thanks to its terrifying moments.

I give it at least a B+, but prolly an A-.

DvdJervs
Nov 5th, 2000, 07:38:32 PM
I saw it last week when it opened down under. What can I say? Zemeckis appears to try and pull bits and pieces from every other Hitchc0ck movie to little effect. Pfeiffer was the only interesting person in the film - Ford I found to be as dull as ever. Really I found the whole film a great disappointment, even moreso with the fact that 2 great stars such as Pfeiffer and Ford would waste time lending their names to it.

I'd give it 2 out of 5. I should have seen 'Billy Elliot'.