PDA

View Full Version : THE WAY OF THE GUN

IndianaJones
Sep 9th, 2000, 11:26:37 AM
A few months ago my cousin (who is basically my best friend) told me of Ryan Phillipe having this really cool new action movie, THE WAY OF THE GUN. My cousin considers Phillipe one of todays greatest actors (he's ok) and was really hyped to see it.

I loved the title, maybe not the most original, but it sparked a cool idea. Then I saw the commercial, this movie looked hot. And the line Phillipe recites on it, "At some point in time we realized our paths were chosen for us, so we stepped off" ( I think thats how it goes) really caught me as cool.

Yesterday I went to work, and it was so slow I was sent on a 3 hr break, and just my luck THE WAY OF THE GUN had just started, so without hesitation I ran to theater 7... BIG MISTAKE.

This film is total garbage. Really, one of the worst films I've seen in a while. The plot developes slower than watching grass grow. The dialogue is ever so transparent with even less acting. Phillipe, whom I loved in Cruel Intentions, was horrible and not in character the entire film.

Once the plot kind of picks up, it never really gets off the ground and crashes like a cheap airplane.

The action is very minute. For an action movie there is not enough, and in its absence is horrible banter and pointless discussion.

Some times I wonder how films ever get the go ahead in Hollywood, for this one is one of the most unrealistic movies I've ever seen.

The writer tosses in a few plot twists that really mean nothing in the long run. They just make you "ooo" for about a second. After that, they mean nothing so you involve yourself in waiting for the plot to start to develope, don't hold your breath.

The end gets kind of gross and totally unbelievable.

The few possitives-I kind of liked the ending, it was different, and not at all what I expected. There were several moments that I enjoyed that made me think the film would get better, but my thoughts were quickly disparaged.

Some portions are very predicatable

SPOILERS AHEAD-----------------------
On the commercial, when Phillipe dives intpo the fountain, I thought to myslef, "It would suck if the fountain was full of broken glass and bottles." Phillipe dives into the fountain, and guess what its full of-Broken glass bottles.
Spoiler OVER--------------------------

Over all: A generous 5.5 ( only cause I kind of liked the ending, sort of. I'd say I liked only 40% of the ending)

BristerM
Sep 9th, 2000, 01:06:35 PM
okay, thanks. Maybe I'll see Nurse Betty instead.

mez7
Sep 9th, 2000, 01:37:11 PM
when i saw the add for it and he dives in you hear him let out a little yelp,
so i figure cactus or glass or something hurt him when he jumped in,

not too much of a spoiler if you listen to the add carefully, or have good speakers,

looks like ill wait for video or for it to come on the satellite

DarthAce
Sep 9th, 2000, 05:25:44 PM
Sorry man but i do not agree way of the gun was one of the best movies i have seen this year!:)

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 9th, 2000, 08:15:57 PM
I think I may go see it on a cheap night.

IndianaJones
Sep 9th, 2000, 08:20:58 PM
I would suggest seeing this film if it intriuges you, and you may like it, like Ace did. But don't expect much. I could find little in it possetive, and the most possetive were the some what phylosophical lines, they were fresh and original. That I liked. But like I stated, it was a dissappointment. I like action movies with a plot and good dialogue, like Gladiator, but the dialogue in this is pathetic for the most part.

James Caan got on my nerves too.

JonathanLB
Sep 10th, 2000, 03:29:14 AM
One of the best movies of the year? You need to get out more dude, sorry.

I thought this movie had a lot of potential about 35 minutes through it, I was all prepared to say, "yeah this is on track for the 3 star rating, sweet." Then it started getting a little worse, "well, 3 or 2.5...probably 3." ...*25 minutes later* "Probably a 2.5, if it makes it through the rest without totally screwing up."

I ended up giving it about a 2.5, just about to write my review. It was pretty good in some parts and it was somewhat intruiging, but talk about a flawed piece of you know what!

Ok, the plot twists go ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE, just like IndianaJones here said. They are sort of cool, sure, but the POINT of a plot twist is for it to go somewhere. They actually leave entire elements of the plot just hanging in space, never explained. If they consider that a "plot device," they're stupid and need to go back to film school.

I enjoyed the movie for a while and there were some funny parts, so I give it 2.5 stars, call that a 7.8/10 or a C+

Obviously, I did not hate it like IndianaJones did, but the movie is just screwed up in general and the finale is actually the worst part, I thought. It was weak, totally weak, it also gets annoying just hearing bullets zing around over and over forever. It hurts my freakin' ears after the first 20 minutes of it.

Three major new movies opened last Friday. The Watcher, Nurse Betty, and Way of the Gun. Why see Way of the Gun when there are way better movies out there, not to mention ones that just opened?

My mom saw Nurse Betty while I was at Way of the Gun, I obviously picked the wrong movie, because Nurse Betty is really funny, she said. I know I'd like it, so I will go see it this week...

The string of relative mediocrity is just continuing indefinitely here, lol.

I enjoyed The Art of War, that was a very good movie, but the only one I have given over 3 stars to in 2 months now and that is considering I've seen most of the movies out. I missed The Original Kings of Comedy, though, that might have been a 3.5, but I have no idea...

I gave X-Men four stars on July 14. It is about September 14, or very close, and I've not given a four star rating here in a while...

Please, let the streak end with Remember the Titans, hehe. That's at least a 3.5, I bet.

I can sort of see how someone could like Way of the Gun, my best friend saw it with me also and he gave it 3.5, but he likes most every movie. He gave Cell a 3.5, sheesh, he gave Chicken Run 4, that's amazing for me. How the critics loved that is just a mystery, I think they believe that it is a nice kids movie so it deserves a good rating. Yeah, it is a good KIDS movie, but Lucas proved that you can make a PG movie that appeals to everyone, not just kids. I'm not going easy on a sucky movie just because its for kids. Chicken Run was one of the weakest movies of the summer, it got 2 stars only because of its excellent clamation and because Mel Gibson rules.

ReaperFett
Nov 24th, 2000, 07:30:46 PM
Just seen it, and loved it. A great film, with real people, and James Caan in cool mode. and the BEST soundtrack for some time