PDA

View Full Version : Someone screwed up BIG TIME...Friday Box Office #s

BristerM
Nov 25th, 2000, 06:30:00 PM
If I were Jim Carrey right now, I would lock myself in a closet, whip out the Grinch Friday box office totals, fantasize about how Bruce Willis and Disney must hate me for stealing the #1 spot from them, and masturbate nonstop.

Yes, THE GRINCH is unstoppable. According to preliminary box office figures, on Friday ALONE, THE GRINCH raked in $20.3M. Add that to Wed. and Thur.'s combined gross of $21.4M, and THE GRINCH has made $41.7M in 3 days. Look for THE GRINCH to pull in $64M or so over the three-day weekend, marking an INCREASE(!!!!!!!!!) over last weekend's huge gross of $55.1M. A 5-day take of $86M looks to be in the works for Mr. Grinch, and this would give THE GRINCH close to $150M since it opened.

UNBREAKABLE also performed sexually, as it pulled in $12.4M on Friday. Look for a $38M 3-day take and a $54M 5-day take.

In other news, 102 DALMATIONS...oh nevermind. Look for 102 DALMATIONS to pull in around $23M for the 3 day period.

jjwr
Nov 25th, 2000, 07:22:39 PM
Wow, these are Toy Story type numbers, incredible.

foxdvd
Nov 25th, 2000, 07:59:49 PM
"Wow, these are Toy Story type numbers, incredible."...

The big diff is that Grinch did this its second week, and TS2 did it the first..This movie is going to be the number 1 money movie this year, passing MI2 and Gladiator easy..

Jedi Master Kyle
Nov 25th, 2000, 08:19:32 PM
It certainly looks like it. And who would have thought it?

JonathanLB
Nov 25th, 2000, 10:22:52 PM
No comment on the numbers, but where did you get them?

Nobody has released Friday's numbers, unless you are ER or something. Check The-Numbers.com, ShowBizData.com, nobody has Friday numbers, not even BoxOfficeGuru.com.

I just want to see a source, that's it.

BristerM
Nov 25th, 2000, 11:42:15 PM
Don't be such a pessimist, Jon!! I got it from a Lee's Movie Info newsletter. Lee Tistaert operates off leesmovieinfo.com; I have no idea how he got the numbers, but apparently they were incomplete (he only had the top four movies) so that's why other websites didn't release them.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 26th, 2000, 12:35:11 AM
I think Friday's numbers were so high because all the kids were all out of school. Most people don't go to the movies on Thanksgiving so they go the day after that would be my theory. Hopefully it the movie does not make your estimates Brister or else TPM's record might be in some jeopardy.

JonathanLB
Nov 26th, 2000, 03:37:00 AM
Hehe, not trying to be an @$$ about it, Brister, I was just wondering...

Thanks for telling me!

The record of TPM's that is in jeopardy is the highest 2nd weekend gross in history, which TPM held very easily over JP ($51 million vs. $39 million, roughly).

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 26th, 2000, 04:58:53 AM
TPM made 64 million in its opening weekend right. I get confusioned over those records but I thought TPM had the most money in a three day weekend, I know Lost world is there somewhere but I am not sure how much it made, I guess Lost world could be #1 and TPM might have the most money in a five day period which is 102 or something close to that which I am sure is safe.

BristerM
Nov 26th, 2000, 12:52:57 PM
It's okay, Jon...but about TPM's records, it looks as if TPM's second weekend gross is in jeopardy. The opening weekend gross of TPM ($64M) is irrelevant because that wasn't a record in the first place -- The Lost World has the record with $72M. And of course TPM's five-day record is going to stay intact, unless the GRINCH sees a huge Saturday and Sunday increase which looks doubtful.

Who would have thought? Titanic-like legs (so far) on a movie that opens with $55M. Wow.

foxdvd
Nov 26th, 2000, 03:06:18 PM
"TPM's five-day record is going to stay intact, unless the GRINCH sees a huge Saturday and Sunday increase which looks doubtful."

No...the 5 days were up last monday..we are on 9 or 10 days now..

they say now 52.4 million for the Grinch for the F-S periods..

(I guess you were talking about any 5 days, not just the first 5 days)

foxdvd
Nov 26th, 2000, 03:09:59 PM
"Who would have thought? Titanic-like legs (so far) on a movie that opens with $55M. Wow"

I would wait till next weekend to say that..I have a feeling it will fall hard then..

BristerM
Nov 26th, 2000, 04:41:10 PM
Absolutely, foxdvd. There's no question that it will fall in excess of 35% next weekend. Almost all movies released Thanksgiving weekend or a week beforehand take HUGE falls (45%+) the weekend after Thanksgiving. Only one movie in the top 5 at the time has fell less than 35% after Thanksgiving, and that was the original Toy Story.

This is the same reason that there are usually no new releases on the weekend after Thanksgiving...it's typically one of the most stagnant (not slowest, but stagnant) box office weekends of the year.

Itala Marzullo
Nov 28th, 2000, 10:58:27 AM
I still believe it can kick The Sixth Sense out of the top 10 all-time list.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 28th, 2000, 03:06:19 PM
I doubt it will but I could be proven wrong, I think it will top out around 265-275 and land at 12th of all time. As Brister said its gross is going to decrease by 40% at least but still it will remain #1 I also see it getting knocked off the following weekend by Dungeons and Dragons.

Darth23
Nov 28th, 2000, 06:17:39 PM
Well Itala was right about SS beating Empire, so he might be right again. :p

I don't think it's really possible to judge The Grinch's legs from the opening and the Holiday second week. Next week will definitely be a good indicator. And the week after as well.

I think the real question is whether or not it's a movie that will have a lot of repeat veiwings. has anybody out there seen it yet? (i knwo SOMEONE must have).

(did i mention, btw, that i hate the new background?)

foxdvd
Nov 29th, 2000, 05:26:29 PM
I do not think D&D is going to open big..

Darth Bill
Nov 29th, 2000, 07:36:48 PM
Nobody seems to want to look at the MATH involved in these supposed 'weekend records'....

Time is constant...
Friday to Monday is constant...

Yet ONE thing has changed between the days of 'Jurassic Park' (1992) and today:

The COST!

Consider...
The cost of one person going to see JP in '92 was (X) dollars.
The cost of one person going to see 'The Grinch' today is (2X) dollars.

I always think it's impractical to compare 'weekend totals' between films that are YEARS apart when the cost keeps going up....

Russ

foxdvd
Nov 30th, 2000, 03:30:03 AM
no doubt ticket prices have gone up, but I am not sure if they have doubled in 8 years..I think this year the average ticket price paid is like 5.25...I am not sure what they were in 92, but I do not think they were 2.70 (and before you go and say, My theater cost 8 bucks, understand this is what the average person pay's in America and Canada, day and night together)..I might be wrong though..but if I had to guess I would say in 92 it would have been around the 4 dollar range..

Itala Marzullo
Nov 30th, 2000, 09:19:56 AM
Heh Darth23, I said it'd beat ESB i its third week long ago. Of course Jon made fun of me for thinking it. :)

And box office should be counted for number of tickets sold not how much they cost.

foxdvd
Nov 30th, 2000, 03:51:22 PM
"And box office should be counted for number of tickets sold not how much they costed. "

agreed

Bromine
Dec 1st, 2000, 04:03:33 AM
Also, isn't the B.O. gross the actual amount the studio got, not the actual sum total of all the money the theatres took in? That would mean that the difference between ticket prices a few years ago and now would make even less of a difference to the BO gross. (I could be totally wrong here, just a thought)