PDA

View Full Version : I´m back !!! EP 2 will destroy Titanic!!!!!!!!!

EDUARDO
Dec 6th, 2000, 12:18:35 PM
Enough Chick Flick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darth23
Dec 7th, 2000, 06:55:01 PM
Hee hee

mem'ries.......

I hope there will be less bitching if Ep 2 DOESN'T pass The Big Boat. I'm assuming it was at least be in the same ballpark as the others. (Ep 1 and 4).

It' will be fun to watch the numbers, but I'm not going to be surprised if it doesn't hit 600 mil.

Remy LeBeau
Dec 7th, 2000, 11:12:59 PM
I sure hope so mon ami!

Jedieb
Dec 8th, 2000, 11:08:14 AM
The serious EP2 BO threads are at least a year away but what the heck. I really don't think EP2 will beat either Titanic or TPM for that matter. Between the darker tone and the whole "I saw that other SW film" response from the casual moviegoer I don't see either EP2 or EP3 taking the top spot. :(

EDUARDO
Dec 8th, 2000, 11:50:11 AM
I think at last 400M EP 2 will make !!!!!!!Hands Down!!!!!!!!!!!Enough Chick Flicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dutchy
Dec 8th, 2000, 12:15:46 PM
I think at last 400M EP 2 will make !!!!!!!

That's already $200M less than you thought at the start of this thread.

Hart Kenobi
Dec 9th, 2000, 12:35:08 AM
It's definitely something to look forward to- the dethroning of Titanic.

Darth23
Dec 9th, 2000, 05:40:51 PM
I think that Ep. 2 will have More action and less humor that Ep 1 - which will make a lot of people happy. Just becuase it's dark doesn't necessarily mean that people won't go see it.

The real issue for the B. O. total is the repeat viewing factor for the movie, I think. Less hype will prolly HELP initially, I think.

BristerM
Dec 9th, 2000, 05:58:55 PM
Yeah. I think an appropriate opening for EP2 would be in the $50-$55M range, not $65M like EP1 did. With about the same dropoff rate, EP2 could finish in the $370-$400M range. Just my opinion

Hart Kenobi
Dec 10th, 2000, 12:16:17 AM
I think EpII will have just as much hype, which means a lot darn lot. Everyone that waited for EpI will wait for EpisodeII and more. I don't think that EpI could have lost SW fans, only gained.

flagg
Dec 10th, 2000, 10:57:33 AM
I very much doubt Episode II will have a lower opening than the likes of Mission: Impossible 2, even if you take into account all the bashers. My guess for the final gross would be about $360 million, too. It will have less hype, but will probably be better received by critics and fans.

Bromine
Dec 10th, 2000, 11:30:51 PM
Definitely less hype. The first Star Wars movie in 16 years is obviously going to have more hype surrounding it than the sequel just a few short years later.
Not to say it won't be a media circus, but it won't be as big.

Jedieb
Dec 11th, 2000, 12:43:52 AM
One year from now threads like this will really be jumping!

I've always thought that EP2 will have a great shot at breaking The Lost World's record, but fall short of EP1. Only time will tell. I really look forward to the time when we "officially" put our bets down in the obligatory "What Do You Think EP2's B.O. Will Be?" thread. Hey, does anyone remember who won the last one?

Dutchy
Dec 11th, 2000, 06:06:03 AM
What Do You Think EP2's B.O. Will Be?" thread. Hey, does anyone remember who won the last one?

I remember I was one of the very few with some sane bets. :)

Jedieb
Dec 11th, 2000, 10:41:33 AM
You're referring to the overly optimistic $800M + guesses some other poster threw out? And let's not even get started on Mr. conspiracy's estimates. ;)

buff jedi 2
Dec 11th, 2000, 01:45:27 PM
I feel the numbers for Episode 2,are in our hands.By saying our's I mean the Star Wars fans.We are large diverse group of people.We come from all walks of life.Some of us are well off and some are poor.Some of us are thinkers some of us are do'ers.But what we all have in common is the Love for Star Wars,And the desire to get that number one Box Office spot back.We can do it!look at the Star Trek fan's.When one of there movies come out they flock to the theaters(no matter how unexpiring the movie is).We must do the same.If we must ,we drag people to the theater's with us.When I went to see The Phantom Menace I always had atleast three people with me at each viewing.you must keep in mind I went over forty times.Well let me say I do remember going about five times alone.So lets just say I had atleast three people with me for about forty viewing's.Do the math.For me Star Wars has always been my life.Although Episode 2 or 3 breaking the box office record will not make me smarter or large ,or even a better person in general.But it will make me the type of person who will always be able to hold my head up high,with a broad smile on my pretty face.Not to mention the fact we will have kicked Titanic's ARS!!!

wookieboy/buffjedi

Darth23
Dec 12th, 2000, 12:50:09 PM
"it's only a movie"

:p

I think there could be some TPM backlash directed at Ep 2. Many critics didn't like TPM, but it STILL went to make 431 million bucks. I think the 'pros' will want to test their muscle to see if Ep2 is also 'critic proof'.

Hell, half the review have prolly already been written. :-)

"All action and special effects, no plot, bad acting, way too dark for a Star Wars movie...." blah blah blah.

;)

----------

As far as the hype goes - MAYBE all the marketing stuff will wait until the movie actually opens, rather than being so In Your Face before the damn thing even comes out.

I J S
Dec 12th, 2000, 04:20:59 PM
I'm sure I remember seeing or reading an interview with Lucas and he said that he expected Episode 2 to only do half as much business than TPM at the BO and that Episode 3 would be the least successful financially due to it's dark tone! He also said the critics would hate Episodes 2 and 3 as much as TPM so maybe he's trying to play the whole thing down after TPM "Got more publicity than they needed"(Lucas)!?

buff jedi 2
Dec 12th, 2000, 05:42:34 PM
I really think lucas will down play Eps 2.I really feel episode 2 will be a BIG!!Blockbuster!! I know this is way ahead of time but it will break the 500 million mark.(ill stand behind that)I know if have been wrong before But I just know it will.I also look forward to the dark tones of eps.3 and not to forget VADER.I think just the fact that Vader will appear will bring in hugh amounts for EPS 3 at the box office.

buffjedi/wookieboy

Hart Kenobi
Dec 12th, 2000, 11:53:08 PM
If they come up with a REALLY good Episode II, one that is clever and thought-provoking, there is nothing that could stop it. But then there would have to be no Jar Jar.

Itala Marzullo
Dec 14th, 2000, 12:15:27 AM
Our culture has somewhat changed the way sequels are doing, just look at Toy Story 2, M:I 2, The Mummy Returns will probably hit 200 since its trailer is f'n amazing already. I think Ep 2 will reach 500m though not sure if it'll beat Titanic.

Bromine
Dec 14th, 2000, 01:35:45 AM
It's true that sequels have done well lately, but let's not forget that TPM itself was a sequel, which added to its success. While sequels may be popular, the popularity doesn't increase with each sequel made in a series. (Does this make sense or am I just rambling?:) )

Itala Marzullo
Dec 14th, 2000, 02:44:39 AM
My point is lately, big franchise sequels have been doing very well.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 14th, 2000, 03:38:58 AM
I was reluctant to throw my say in here but here it goes. If I had to guess right now I think EP 2 will easily hit 400 million I think it will fall short of TPM though. I think critics will love it and die hard fans will be really happy. Still, it is really difficult to predict this early we have no clue what kind of competition EP 2 will have. For example if the actors go on strike we may have only three films coming out that summer EP 2, Spiderman and the Matrix 2 they are the only films that are scheduled for the moment to come out then. Sure, I guess there are a few others that might come in Star Trek X and Terminator 3 but it is too early to know if they will be done yet. Even if the actors do not go on strike we still have no clue how competitive 2002 will be will it be like 1999 or will it be more like 2000 when most of the summer films except for a few like Gladiator and X-Men were terrible, right now I will hold off to make an official guess until we get closer to 2002.