PDA

View Full Version : MNF and Star Wars

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 3rd, 2000, 11:46:47 AM
Did anybody else see the Star Wars reference on Monday Night Football. It came from Dennis Miller during the game Dan Fouts was talking about how the force of the Chiefs' line moved the Seatle defense. After he finished Miller then responded, "May the Force Be With you." It was the first time, as far as I know, that Star Wars was ever referenced on MNF.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2000, 06:42:32 PM
Yeah I saw that. Fouts did set him up for it and you could tell the line was coming. I've been watching MNF since the Cosell era and I don't recall ever hearing a SW reference, but I wouldn't be surprised if there have been a few over the years. Especially during those 4th quarter blowouts.
BTW, the Chiefs won right? I went to sleep at halftime.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2000, 12:28:02 AM
Yeah 24-17, the second half was great IMO at least. The Chiefs played great especially Grbac he made a huge 73 yrd pass to Derrick Alexander that turned the game around. I also have not noticed any references but you would think in 77 or 78 after AHH first came out some reference might have popped up probably like you said in a blow out. And it also makes me wonder if Miller will make any more. I could imagine one, I have seen this kind of rout since the Battle of Hoth.

Bromine
Oct 6th, 2000, 01:15:25 AM
LOL, that'd be funny, but I guarantee 95% of the audience wouldn't have a clue what the Battle of Hoth was, or even that it was from Star Wars.

Jedieb
Oct 16th, 2000, 10:42:03 PM
Miller did it again. During tonight's 1st quarter of the Titans V. Jags game he made a Chewbacca reference. Not only did Miller replace Bumbling Boomer and save us from Rush Limbaugh, but he's given us 2 Monday night SW references in the same season. Is there anything this great man can't do?

Jedieb
Nov 14th, 2000, 03:39:44 PM
3rd quarter of Oakland V. Denver, Miller to Fouts;
"Instruct me in the ways of the Force oh Yoda!"
At least I'm pretty sure he said Yoda at the end. By the time Elam kicked the winning field goal it was well past midnight and I could barely keep my eyes open.

Hart Kenobi
Nov 15th, 2000, 02:23:23 AM
Genius. Pure genius.

Jedieb
Dec 18th, 2000, 11:06:32 PM
It's only 9:05 and MNF has used more SW references than ever before! They opened with the SW theme and the opening crawl. They then used a mix of Flash Gordon clips and Buc players wielding Kenner lightsabers. The biggest game of MNF's season had the BEST opening.
GO BUCS!!!!!!
May The Playoffs Be With You! (They actually used that as a tag line.)

jjwr
Dec 18th, 2000, 11:59:46 PM
D'OH and I missed it! I started watching like a minute into the game. Looks to be a good one.

Course I have alterior motives, if either the Rams win or the total score is 54 or more points then I take 2nd place in the office football pool! Woohoo! Hoping I'll get it so I can finance my yearly X-Mas trip to the movies, hoping to see Castaway this year. So root for lots of points, I don't care who wins!

Jedieb
Dec 19th, 2000, 12:28:24 AM
Stop the presses;
THE BUCS ARE ACTUALLY SCORING!!!

Halftime score;
Rams 14
Bucs 24

18 more points and you're a winner jjwr!

jjwr
Dec 19th, 2000, 01:56:27 AM
Score! Man, pretty good game, and lots of scoring, not quite what I expected.

Darth23
Dec 19th, 2000, 01:17:00 PM
Warrick Dunn comes through again.

That whole SW thing is pretty weird - even TF.net has taken notice of it. :-)

jjwr
Dec 19th, 2000, 01:52:14 PM
When they did the Patriots vs Chiefs game they played up a whole presidential thing, saying this game would decide the presidency. Pats are from Mass which voted for Gore and the Chiefs are from Missouri which voted for Bush so each was their representation. They even had a bunch of player quotes playing it up too....rather amusing actually :)