PDA

View Full Version : Traffic

CMJ
Jan 10th, 2001, 07:41:38 PM
I just got back from this. Wonderful fllm. It will definitely be nominated for Best Picture(and SHOULD be). Probably my #2 or 3 film of 2000.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jan 10th, 2001, 11:16:53 PM
uhhhh dude, it's 2001 now...unless this counts as a 2000 movie somehow. :)

I really want to see it, but my friend, whom I share almost the exact same taste in movies with told me it was a slow, boring 3 hour movie.

CMJ
Jan 11th, 2001, 12:14:47 AM
But I found it very, VERY, good. There 4 main stories going on...maybe your firnd got bored with it all, but I didn't.

Oh...and it does count as a 2000 release. It came out in Los Angeles and New York in Decenmber for Oscar consideration.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jan 11th, 2001, 07:35:28 PM
Ever since I saw the trailer for this, it looked great, so I'll still see it. I guess the folks releasing it
wanted their Oscar consideration in a year that is what most describe as weak at best in terms of
Oscar calibre movies.

CMJ
Jan 11th, 2001, 09:11:51 PM
It's not that unusual for studios to release a flood of "oscar hopefulls" during December. Many stay in limited release until Mid-January or later. Like this week 13 DAYS and FINDING FORRESTER both open wide. They had been playing on only a few hundred screens, now they'll both be in over 2000 theatres.

Challah
Jan 11th, 2001, 11:56:53 PM
I liked it too, CMJ. I didn't like the ending as much as I'd like to, but otherwise it was great. Not quite as good as 'Sex, Lies, and Videotape' but still cool. Benicio del Toro and Don Cheadle really stand out in this for me. I betcha the general moviegoers come away from it wondering whether or not it was good or a waste of time.

I thought any movie released between the actual Award Show and the next release of nominations was fair game(?)

CMJ
Jan 12th, 2001, 01:33:49 AM
...and the film has to play at least a week in that year. So if a film plays on 1 screen in 1 theatre in LA it's available to be nominated.

As for the acting...I found all the performances great. Benicio del Toro WAS terrific(he seems to be getting the most acclaim), but I thought M. Douglas gave the best performance. I'm gonna have to catch this again sometime soon just so I can fully absorb the story. There was so much going on at times I got character's names confused and the like.

Darth23
Jan 12th, 2001, 11:49:10 AM
That was really annoying me at the end of last month. People were talking about all these movies that were Oscar Contenders, and some movies even got awards even though the vast majority of people haven't even had a chance to see them yet.

Grrrrr.