PDA

View Full Version : Survivor Outback

jjwr
Jan 30th, 2001, 10:22:40 AM
Did anyone else watch this? I found the first Survivor interesting so I'll watch this one too, depending on how interesting these people turn out to be it could be a good show.

DvdJervs
Jan 30th, 2001, 07:37:42 PM
It doesn't start in Australia until early February. Natch.

Bet 10 bucks that as soon as the final episode is screened in the US all the Australian newspapers will print the winner even when the series wouldn't have finished yet in Australia. :rolleyes:

jjwr
Jan 30th, 2001, 10:40:30 PM
I wouldn't take that bet at 50 to 1 odds....no way that won't be all over the place once its over.

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 31st, 2001, 08:43:59 AM
No one wins.

My pet crocodile ate them all

jjwr
Jan 31st, 2001, 10:39:55 AM
Reminds me of that thing I saw on Iwon.com oddly enough news, some woman in Austrailia was walking her dog along a river and a croc came out and snatched her dog and pulled it into the water...I thought it was kinda funny :)

Jedieb
Jan 31st, 2001, 11:46:45 AM
I doubt the dog thought it was funny!

LZeitgeist
Jan 31st, 2001, 11:59:17 AM
Hey, I don't hear the dog complaing... :lol:

Atreyu
Jan 31st, 2001, 07:47:17 PM
Well i haven't seen it yet (doesn't screen down here until Feb 14th), but I want to set some things about Australia straight in case any of you foreigners get the wrong idea.

1. We do not have kangaroos hopping down our main streets or koalas in every 2nd tree. The average Australian hasn't even seen a kangaroo or koala except the stuffed ones in the toy shop.

2. Crocodile Dundee doesn't spend his life wrestling crocodiles, hypnotising buffalo or hunting down drug lords in the bush. He actually lives in a huge mansion in Byron Bay, the hippe capital of Australia.

4. Contrary to what the Simpson's suggested, there is no bullfrog plague in the North eating our crops. The North is already a desert.

5. We do not shoo out snakes, spiders and other creepy crawlies from our houses every morning. The average Australian probably doesn't even know what a snake is.

6. There are no sheep grazing on the front lawn of Parliament house. They're all inside, trying to run the country. :)

Hart Kenobi
Jan 31st, 2001, 11:51:52 PM
Never really been a fan of reality shows. Doesn't anyone else find them disturbing?

RHJediKnight
Feb 1st, 2001, 12:11:02 AM
I don't watch these kinds of shows much. I didn't really watch a lot of the first one, I found it and the people dull. But there was nothing else on after the Super Bowl so I just watched Survivor II and I thought it was actually kind of interesting...

jjwr
Feb 1st, 2001, 10:23:24 AM
It can be interesting, it'll depend on the people and how much plotting and what not they decide to get into.

Damn Atreyu there goes all the cool things about Australia :)

Actually I didn't know Crocodile Dundee was real...any actual back history on him?

Whats your take on Yahoo Serious? :)

Darth23
Feb 1st, 2001, 11:40:16 AM
Yahoo Serious was a misunderstood genius. :-P

I don't think Australia has been the same sine the Nuclear war wiped out most of civilization. Still plenty juice left to scavenge, though.

Darth23
Feb 1st, 2001, 11:40:40 AM
I forgot the ;)

Jedieb
Feb 1st, 2001, 01:19:21 PM
Attreyu, you've burst all my bubbles regarding Austrailia. Please tell me the toilet stuff is true. Don't take that away from me!!!!!

Atreyu
Feb 1st, 2001, 08:06:30 PM
No no no - Crocodile Dundee obviously isn't real. :) It's just that some people are of the mistaken belief that the man behind the character - Paul Hogan - is a bushy of some description, as was demonstrated at the Closing Ceremony of the Olympics, all the 'Come To Australia' tourist ads and the like. He isn't. I don't think he's even set foot in the bush to be quite honest. :)

'Crocodile Dundee' made him a millionaire, so now he lives in his big mansion in Byron Bay. Not bad a for a former labourer on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. :)

As for Yahoo Serious, he shows up evey few years with a new movie in which he plays the same character again and again. Oh well - he writes, directs, produces and stars in them all so we should cut him some slack. :)

I don't know what you mean by all the toilet stuff though, unless you're asking if they flush anti-clockwise. Yes they do. :)

As for spoiling all the Australian secrets, well you have to know these things. :) Kangaroos spend most of their time hopping around in reserves, foreign companies have lais siege to Sydney and Melbourne (Adelaide is next), all the while the koalas are eating something called 'gum-leaves'. I believe the foreign word for it is 'tourists'. :p

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 4th, 2001, 09:47:52 PM
Now hang about Atreyu.... I dont know about where you live but...

1) Kangaroos and Koalas are not an uncommon sight where I live. Maybe not down main street, but they are there.

2) He might not, but others do :)

3) There is a Cane toad plague in the North. Contray to opinion FNQ and the Top End are swamps for 5 months of the year and are infested with Cane toads

4) I dont know about you, But I have to. The spider damn near kick me out of bed. And snakes? Well, you go tell the tiger snake in the paddock out the back that it's aint supposed to be there :O

5) I have to agree with Atrey on that one. Pity we cant get a Kiwi in there to scare them out.

Darth23
Feb 4th, 2001, 10:55:54 PM
So is the movie Two Hands a more accurate portrayal of Oz?

ReaperFett
Feb 5th, 2001, 12:47:24 PM
don't disagree with them! I think saying that is a bootable offense :)