PDA

View Full Version : The Oscar's

CMJ
Feb 12th, 2001, 02:18:11 PM
Yes the nominations come out tommorrow for the 73rd Academy Awards. I know most of the board has Love/Hate relationship with them(you love to hate them, :/ ), but I always follow them with great interest. It's much like a sport to me. My favorites don't always win, but they always provide room for constant debate. I've seen alot of the movies that are considered sure-bet nominees(I've missed others but will try to catch anything that I haven't seen that got noms). I'm waking up early in the morning to catch them.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 12th, 2001, 03:45:22 PM
I am interested in the nominations too. I am not sure if I will watch this year though mostly because the show is too long that is my biggest problem with the oscars that it is 4 hours can't they cut an hour an half off the darn thing to make it at least watchable I don't like watching it until 1 in the morning just to see who won. And sure I disagree with the oscars some of the time especially last year with TPM getting robbed of at least one statue, but I understand that a lot of it is a popularity contest and at that time TPM wasn't popular in the minds of the Academy.

Jedieb
Feb 12th, 2001, 04:00:42 PM
Love or hate them, they're the biggest and most prominent awards show the movie industry has. The only thing that comes close is the Cannes Film festival and still doesn't have teh history or glitz that the Oscars do.

ReaperFett
Feb 12th, 2001, 04:05:36 PM
hey, its OK for you! I have to wait till 2 AM for them to START! :)

CMJ
Feb 12th, 2001, 08:47:30 PM
I just spent the last hour typing in my predictions for all the categories...and the system wouldn't take it. I got some lame error and so I lost ALL of it. This suck...I don't feel like pouring it all in their again.

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 12th, 2001, 08:53:03 PM
I dont think the Oscars are highly credible - not after the last few winners.

However, Just imagine... there's the chance a really good movie will take a few this year.

I'm split on Gladiator or Crouching Tiger, Hidden dragon. My tip is, CTHD will clean up (6, maybe 7) or win nothing.

ReaperFett
Feb 12th, 2001, 09:26:01 PM
I tip Brad Pitt, for Snatch

ReaperFett
Feb 13th, 2001, 11:16:29 AM
Gladiator got 12 nommos. Wasnt THAT good.

Olly Reed deserved a nomination than Joachim, who was a bit annoying to me

No Brad Pitt nomination, not good

No music nomination for Way of the Gun, disgusting

Nothing for Snatch, sickening

Oh well, theres still next year...

CMJ
Feb 13th, 2001, 11:17:18 AM
I'll post all of them later I guess...but I gotta get ready fro class. But here are your Best Picture nominees.

GLADIATOR
CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON
TRAFFIC
ERIN BROKOVICH
CHOCOLAT

GLADIATOR recieved the most nom's with 12 total(I think thats how many I counted). CTHD got 10. The ther Best Pic nominees got 5 each.

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 13th, 2001, 06:20:07 PM
Not a bad lot of nominations this year.... not bad. In fact, I'm a touch surprised.

And Phoenix didnt deserve the nomination? No way. His performance in Gladiator was excellent.

ReaperFett
Feb 13th, 2001, 06:30:29 PM
not to me. Every other actor made him look bad in that film, and Olly did a perfect act

Darth23
Feb 14th, 2001, 02:36:18 AM
My picks:

(actually the movies I'm cheering for)

Gladiator, Almost Famous, Crouching Tiger.

X-men - oops, I forgot, they don't give Oscars to 'comic book' movies.

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 14th, 2001, 05:31:53 AM
X-Men was okay, but it sure as hell wasn't in the league of CTHD and Gladiator.

You know, the more I review the nominations and the movies I have seen this year.... I think the damn Acadamy actually got it half right!to me, Gladiator was 2000's best film - well until Crouching Tiger....

I think Crouching Tiger WILL get best foriegn film :)

For once I'll be following with interest. I can hardly beleive decent movies got gurnseys this year!

Nominations are as followed

ACTOR -- LEADING
Javier Bardem
Russell Crowe
Tom Hanks
Ed Harris
Geoffrey Rush

ACTOR -- SUPPORTING
Jeff Bridges
Willem Dafoe
Benicio Del Toro
Albert Finney
Joaquin Phoenix

ACTRESS -- LEADING
Joan Allen
Juliette Binoche
Ellen Burstyn
Laura Linney
Julia Roberts

ACTRESS -- SUPPORTING
Judi Dench
Marcia Gay Harden
Kate Hudson
Frances McDormand
Julie Walters

ART DIRECTION
DR. SEUSS' HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS
GLADIATOR
QUILLS
VATEL

CINEMATOGRAPHY
GLADIATOR
MALÈNA
O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?
THE PATRIOT

COSTUME DESIGN
GLADIATOR
102 DALMATIANS
QUILLS

DIRECTING
BILLY ELLIOT
ERIN BROCKOVICH
GLADIATOR
TRAFFIC

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
INTO THE ARMS OF STRANGERS: STORIES OF THE KINDERTRANSPORT
LEGACY
LONG NIGHT'S JOURNEY INTO DAY
SCOTTSBORO: AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY
SOUND AND FURY

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
BIG MAMA
CURTAIN CALL
DOLPHINS
THE MAN ON LINCOLN'S NOSE
ON TIPTOE: GENTLE STEPS TO FREEDOM

FILM EDITING
ALMOST FAMOUS
GLADIATOR
TRAFFIC
WONDER BOYS

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
AMORES PERROS
DIVIDED WE FALL
EVERYBODY FAMOUS!
THE TASTE OF OTHERS

MAKEUP
THE CELL
SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE

MUSIC (SCORE)
CHOCOLAT
GLADIATOR
MALÈNA
THE PATRIOT

MUSIC (SONG)
DANCER IN THE DARK
THE EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE
MEET THE PARENTS
WONDER BOYS

BEST PICTURE
CHOCOLAT
ERIN BROCKOVICH
GLADIATOR
TRAFFIC

SHORT -- ANIMATED
FATHER AND DAUGHTER
THE PERIWIG-MAKER
REJECTED

SHORT -- LIVE ACTION
BY COURIER
ONE DAY CROSSING
QUIERO SER (I WANT TO BE...)
SERAGLIO
A SOCCER STORY (UNA HISTORIA DE FUTEBOL)

SOUND
CAST AWAY
GLADIATOR
THE PATRIOT
THE PERFECT STORM
U-571

SOUND EDITING
SPACE COWBOYS
U-571

VISUAL EFFECTS
GLADIATOR
HOLLOW MAN
THE PERFECT STORM

WRITING (ADAPTED)
CHOCOLAT
TRAFFIC
WONDER BOYS

WRITING (ORIGINAL)
ALMOST FAMOUS
BILLY ELLIOT
ERIN BROCKOVICH
GLADIATOR
YOU CAN COUNT ON ME

Let the predictions begin!

jjwr
Feb 14th, 2001, 09:36:03 AM
I was hoping X-Men would have snuck on with at least one technical/sound nomination....oh well.

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2001, 01:00:38 PM
I see Gladiator and CTHD cancelling eachother big time. Like Harry at AICN said, CTHD, wont win best pic due to winning foreign film. And both films are isimilar, splitting. THis is sorta why IMO, Thin Red Line nor Saving Private Ryan won best pic

CMJ
Feb 14th, 2001, 01:30:50 PM
Well even though most of the board hates the Academy, I tend to think they make pretty good choices. The past few years all of the films nominated for Best Picture have been in my personal top 10 list(and if not all 5...they get 4 of 5). So once again I think they did a fine job. Here are my early thoughts on the race.

ACTOR -- LEADING
Javier Bardem
Russell Crowe
**Tom Hanks
Ed Harris
Geoffrey Rush

All of these guys has something against them. I've seen Crowe, Hanks, and Rush's performance. Thats the problem...no one has seen Bardem or Harris's films, so they're not likely to be awarded. Hanks has won twice already...and 3 times in 8 years would be unprecedented. Rush played a very risky role(he was terrific though). Crowe might pull it, but I think that Meg Ryan thing is gonna work against him. This category is up in the air, but I'll pick Hanks(simply because he gave my favorite performance of the 3 I have seen).

ACTOR -- SUPPORTING
Jeff Bridges
**Willem Dafoe
Benicio Del Toro
Albert Finney
Joaquin Phoenix

Willem Dafoe is the most deserving of the nominees(and I have seen all 5) so even though I doubt he'll win, I'm picking him anyways. :)

ACTRESS -- LEADING
**Joan Allen
Juliette Binoche
Ellen Burstyn
Laura Linney
Julia Roberts

I've seen 3 of the 5(Roberts, Binoche, and Allen). I'll be pulling for Joan, she was great(I'm picking Joan anyways dammit!!), but Julia will win(and yes she was very good so I won't be too upset).

ACTRESS -- SUPPORTING
Judi Dench
Marcia Gay Harden
**Kate Hudson
Frances McDormand
Julie Walters

I've seen 3 of the 5(McDormand, Hudson, Dench). All are fairly deserving. This category is pretty up in the air, but I'll go with Hudson.

ART DIRECTION
**GLADIATOR
QUILLS
VATEL

I've seen 3 of the 5(again). CTHD, GLADIATOR, and QUILLS were all terrific in this category, but I'm giving the nod the GLADIATOR because of the size and scale of the production.

CINEMATOGRAPHY
**CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON
GLADIATOR
MALÈNA
THE PATRIOT

Seen 4 of the 5(all butr MALENA). All of the films had great imagery. All really deserve it(if I close my eyes I can see scenes from all the films nominated...and THATS impressive work). I think the Academy will go with CTHD though.

COSTUME DESIGN
GLADIATOR
102 DALMATIANS
QUILLS

Once again, seen 3 of 5. Gotta go with GLADIATOR on this one too(though CTHD and QUILLS had terrific costumes).

DIRECTING
BILLY ELLIOT
ERIN BROCKOVICH
**GLADIATOR
TRAFFIC

Soderburgh deserves this award simply on the fact that he directed 2 wonderful films in the same year. That will hurt his chances though since his vote will split. Stephen Daldry doesn't really have a shot, since his film didn't get recognized. I think Ridley will win a close vote over Lee.

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
INTO THE ARMS OF STRANGERS: STORIES OF THE KINDERTRANSPORT
LEGACY
LONG NIGHT'S JOURNEY INTO DAY
SCOTTSBORO: AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY
SOUND AND FURY

No clue.

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
BIG MAMA
CURTAIN CALL
DOLPHINS
THE MAN ON LINCOLN'S NOSE
ON TIPTOE: GENTLE STEPS TO FREEDOM

No clue.

FILM EDITING
ALMOST FAMOUS
GLADIATOR
**TRAFFIC
WONDER BOYS

I've seen 4 of 5(all but WONDER BOYS). I think TRAFFIC will be rewarded for the cutting it had between 3(and sometimes more) storylines & yet remained cohesive.

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
AMORES PERROS
**CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON
DIVIDED WE FALL
EVERYBODY FAMOUS!
THE TASTE OF OTHERS

Is there a question?

MAKEUP
THE CELL
**SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE

Seen 2 of 3. If there's any justice SOTV will win. Dafoe was unrecognizable.

MUSIC (SCORE)
CHOCOLAT
**GLADIATOR
MALÈNA
THE PATRIOT

Heard 4 of 5. GLADIATOR is leaps and bounds above the rest.

MUSIC (SONG)
DANCER IN THE DARK
THE EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE
MEET THE PARENTS
WONDER BOYS

No clue.

BEST PICTURE
CHOCOLAT
ERIN BROCKOVICH
**GLADIATOR
TRAFFIC

This is the toughie. GLADIATOR & CTHD have the most noms so it's probably between them. I'm really not sure at this point which is the frontrunner. It is possible that one of the others might pull a monumental upset(in '91 SILENCE OF THE LAMBS wasn't sonsidered choice #1 or 2 and ended up winning). I would have my money of TRAFFIC being able to be the spoiler(though CHOCOLAT has Miramax and BROKOVICH has the likely Best Actress winner in Roberts). I'm giving the race to GLADIATOR currently, but because of a massive vote split I can see any of the nominees winning.

SHORT -- ANIMATED
FATHER AND DAUGHTER
THE PERIWIG-MAKER
REJECTED

No idea.

SHORT -- LIVE ACTION
BY COURIER
ONE DAY CROSSING
QUIERO SER (I WANT TO BE...)
SERAGLIO
A SOCCER STORY (UNA HISTORIA DE FUTEBOL)

No idea

SOUND
CAST AWAY
GLADIATOR
THE PATRIOT
**THE PERFECT STORM
U-571

Seen all 5. I think PERFECT STORM will win.

SOUND EDITING
SPACE COWBOYS
**U-571

U-571 is the only film to appear in both sound categories. It must have strong support.

VISUAL EFFECTS
GLADIATOR
HOLLOW MAN
**THE PERFECT STORM

The storm looked great...I think the Academy will throw it another bone.

WRITING (ADAPTED)
CHOCOLAT
**TRAFFIC
WONDER BOYS

TRAFFIC is the likely winner here.

WRITING (ORIGINAL)
ALMOST FAMOUS
BILLY ELLIOT
ERIN BROCKOVICH
**GLADIATOR
YOU CAN COUNT ON ME

Seen 4 of 5. I thought GLADIATOR had some memorable lines. AF had the most heartfelt story(and will probably win) but I'm predicting a GLADIATOR upset.

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2001, 01:37:05 PM
Hanks will win hands down, as he is the darling of the Academy. His only problem will be Crowes all round appeal, from many people

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2001, 01:37:23 PM
BTW, why do some have less nominations? 2 for sound editing? 3 for SFX? That is dumb

CMJ
Feb 14th, 2001, 04:23:42 PM
Visual Effects always has 3 nominations(has for as long as I can remember...that is if there isn't a Special Achievement Award). SFX Editing usually has 3 noms. I'm not sure why their were only 2 this year.

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2001, 04:46:54 PM
also, am I right that Ubreakable, many people favourite film, has got diddley squat?

Darth23
Feb 14th, 2001, 06:43:51 PM
I said it elsewhere, and I'll say it here.

If Tom Hanks gets another Oscar I'll puke.

I like Hanks, I think he's a great actor - hell he was even good in Bachelor Party, but enough already. Give someone else a shot.

---

I think I like the X-men score more than any other I heard last year. Especially the Logan and Rogue theme.

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2001, 06:56:25 PM
I have a theory that you cannot win best score without either being a period drama, or have a Celine Dion song repeating in the background :)

Jedieb
Feb 14th, 2001, 10:59:33 PM
I wonder how much pressure Robert's people are going to put on the academy. I saw EBroc and I thought she was excellent. Her performance was certainly good enough to merit the nomination. I just have to believe that her agent and the studio are going to go all out for this award. I wouldn't be surprised to see her walk away with it. This should be an interesting Oscars. Gladiator could have a big night. It's was a critical and popular favorite. I think it could easily pull in 5-8 awards.

Jedi Master Kyle
Feb 14th, 2001, 11:18:01 PM
I think Gladiator will be the big winner on Oscar night. I think Julia Roberts will walk away with best actress as well. The award has been given to the resident pretty girl in the past 3 years (Swank, Paltrow and Hunt). I think the trend will continue this year.

Force Master Hunter
Feb 15th, 2001, 12:24:32 AM
That was an unfair comment about Roberts and Hunt. Hunt truly deserved her Oscar and I think Roberts deserves to get it this year.

Jedieb
Feb 15th, 2001, 11:43:36 AM
I don't think it's that unfair, I mean they ARE pretty girls. Except Swank, everytime I see her I feel like screaming; "EAT SOMETHING! FOR THE LOVE OF YODA, EAT SOMETHING!!!"

Darth23
Feb 15th, 2001, 01:09:01 PM
I think Helen Hunt is a lot more than just a 'Pretty Girl'.

AllI know is, it's apparently illegal for a British actress to win the award. :p

ReaperFett
Feb 15th, 2001, 01:20:01 PM
Because they're clever. 8 minutes acting gets best supporting female :)

Darth23
Feb 15th, 2001, 08:09:15 PM
I've got my own Academy Awards set up.

On , er, Another Board. Send me an email if you want to vote/ find out where it is.

I'm taking voted for the Official categories, plus anyhting you want to make up.

>:-)