PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Box office - Matrix 2 vs Ep 2

Force Master Hunter
Feb 22nd, 2001, 02:05:54 AM
Okay, looking down the road to 2002, this will be an interesting matchup

Who woill win at the B.O...... Ep2 or Matrix 2?

RHJediKnight
Feb 22nd, 2001, 03:27:23 AM
I'm not just saying this because I'm a Star Wars fan, but there is no question that Episode II will cream The Matrix 2. A lot of people thought The Phantom Menace was poor, and look how much it made. Episode II will be huge because it will be a Star Wars movie, and hopefully because it will also be an excellent film.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2001, 03:56:34 AM
I think Ep2 will win out too mostly because it has a larger following than the Matrix. Also the Matrix 2 has two problems: first it might be a disapointment because it will be difficult for it to top the first one, second is the actors strike supposidly they are going to start shooting in April and work on it until the strike hits and then shoot again after the strike, if there is a long strike the Matrix 2 and 3 will probably be pushed back to Christmas also helping to make the summer of 2002 a very bad one except for star wars.

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 22nd, 2001, 04:00:50 AM
I didnt think the actors strike ould affect Australian crews?

RHJediKnight
Feb 22nd, 2001, 07:50:26 AM
I don't think it will, which is why they're filming the stuff they need to film in America now, and then they'll film in Australia and wherever else after.

jjwr
Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:02:59 AM
I think if you look at both movies they're similar as far as who they target and most of the people who would go and see Matrix 2 would be the same ones to see Ep 2 and then you add in all the other people who wanna see Ep 2 and it'll make a good chunk more than Matrix 2

Jedieb
Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:54:18 PM
That's a good point jjwr. Both films share a key target audience. But SW has a MUCH broader appeal. As much as I liked The Matrix, it's not something that I would take my son to, or let him watch until he was much older. I have no problem with taking him to ANY SW movie. But neither of these movies will grab the top spot from Titanic. I'd be surprised if The Matrix would pass $250M, and I'd be surprised if EP2 would pass $400M.

Does anyone know exactly when Matrix 2 will be released?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2001, 04:14:49 PM
It will affect the actors though since Fishburn, Reeves and most of the cast are under the SAG and since they are filming them back to back they could have some problems. This is what I read from Variety and as you pointed out they said they were filming here first but they won't be headed to Australia to after the strike is over(if it happens) in the meantime they will work on some post production work but the longer the strike goes it will delay the release of the Matrix 2. Right now I would guess it would come out in late August which would work fine and would not really be in competition with Ep 2 but if the strike goes on longer than 3 months they might have some problems reaching that release date.

Jedi Master Kyle
Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:41:19 PM
I think for the large part, Matrix fans are even bigger Star Wars fans, so there's no doubt in my mind that Episode 2 will kill Matrix 2.

Darth23
Feb 23rd, 2001, 12:30:54 AM
I think Ep 2 will raise the take of The Martix also. People will goto see Matrix multiple times as well as Ep. 2. The biggest problems The Matrix 2 has is that it won't be taking epople by surprise. And people could be expecting to be even more blown away by it than they were with the first one.

Darth23
Feb 23rd, 2001, 12:31:47 AM
Episode 2 - 485 million

Matrix 2 - 258 million

:)

JonathanLB
Mar 3rd, 2001, 04:40:35 AM
"pushed back to Christmas also helping to make the summer of 2002 a very bad one except for star wars."

Very good point, see my post in the Cast Away thread if you're interested in reading about a very real possible scenario.

Matrix 2 will do real well, should cross $200 million I'd guess, but I am guessing it'll open huge, say $55 million or so, maybe more, and then it'll fall off "fairly" quickly, at least it won't have the same type of staying power as the first one. Not necessarily because it's not good, but just because it is a sequel with a very defined audience, and it's not named "Star Wars." The Star Wars sequels are some of the only movie sequels that have not sufferred from rapid declines or poor staying power. All of had excellent staying power usually equal to or better than the biggest blockbusters of all-time.

General Ceel
Mar 3rd, 2001, 06:19:05 PM
On top of what has already said we also must remember that EP2 has a love story involved. So we can expect to see a bigger female crowd which should drive the final goss up.

Darth23
Mar 3rd, 2001, 08:57:16 PM
Maybe - but there's a danger that some of the fanboys will be turned off by that.

:-P

Actually I can already see the reviews:

"Star Wars Grows Up".

In a dramatic change of direction, Star Wars creator Geoge Lucas decided to create a darker, more romantic, more adult movie with is latest installment to the Star Wars saga. Reacting to fans criticisms for Episode 1, The Phanom Menace, Lucas has chosen to shift his focus from Anakin Skywalker, to Anakin the young adult...."

Hart Kenobi
Mar 4th, 2001, 12:54:59 AM
If they were put up against each other on the same weekend, I think the Matrix will make more for that weekend, but EpII will make much more money when everything is said and done and they take them out of theaters.

Darth23
Mar 4th, 2001, 08:03:10 PM
I'dhave to disagree. If they opened in the same week Ep. 2 would KILL Matrix. The Matrix's only hope would be to openat least 2 or 3 weeks after Ep 2.

Jedieb
Mar 4th, 2001, 10:49:23 PM
Actually I think Matirx2 would do quite well. It would NEVER top EP2, but I think it would grab a good chunk of the spill over audience. Remember all the times you dropped by the theater during those first couple of weeks just to be told EP2 had been sold out? If a brand new Matrix movie were out I'd bet many SW fans wouldn't think twice about seeing that and catching up on their EP2 viewings when the theaters were less crowded.

Darth23
Mar 5th, 2001, 01:52:56 AM
Spill over wouldn't be enough.

I think that Star Wars still appeals to more people, more demographic groups that The Matrix does.

But there would bb no reason for the studio to put Matrix 2 up directily against Ep. 2.

JonathanLB
Mar 5th, 2001, 10:10:30 AM
Yeah seriously, that's the dumbest statement I've heard in a while. Matrix 2 would never be able to compete on the same weekend as a new STAR WARS movie, come on man. TPM was the largest non-holiday grosser ever, behind only Lost World overall.

Matrix 2 would be lucky to make half of what Episode II did in that weekend, lol.

The Matrix films will never be for kids, they appeal only to the late teens and the young adults, even many adults over 30 don't much care for the first film or see the appeal of it. It's mainly got a target audience of high school boys to late 20's.

Star Wars, on the other hand, appeals to kids as young as 3 or whatever, and then up to adults who were 10 or 15 when ANH came out, but when Episode II arrives they'll be 35 or 40.

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2001, 10:15:09 AM
I think Matrix 2 would get whupped. The novelty id gone, Matrix is alone. It would be even worse EP3 vs Matrix 3

Darth23
Mar 6th, 2001, 01:54:38 AM
I heard that MIB 2 will be out July 4th weekend in 2002.

Talk about bringing out the big guns.

When are LOTR and Trek going to be out, anyway?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 6th, 2001, 02:47:23 AM
MIB 2 will not come out in 2002. Sony has put off the movie until after the strike. So far other movies have been affected Batman 5, Superman 5, Terminator 3, and possible both Matrix movies if they don't get a move on. The minority Report could have problems finishing too if they don't get started in the next month. The next Star Trek movie probably won't come out until late 2002 at the earliest and the first LOTR movie comes out Dec 22 2001 the sequels come out Dec 2002, Dec 2003. Spiderman and EP 2 are the only two films that are either finished or near competion. I would think one of the Matrix movies will be finished for a late summer release but besides those four films I have no clue what else is in production.

buff jedi 2
Mar 6th, 2001, 10:57:59 AM
Episode 2 585 million(if not more)

Matrix 2 148 million

How did I get such a High gross for EP 2 you ask?

buffjedi/wookieboy

Darth23
Mar 6th, 2001, 12:28:31 PM
Buff jedi 2:

How do you get such a high gross for Ep. 2?

buff jedi 2
Mar 6th, 2001, 02:21:00 PM
Oh sorry about that :( guess I should have said why (hey you all know i aint bright)

Ep 2 will be hugh!!! because there is already a large following of starwars(from years ago) Now after the release of TPM there are a few million more fans..Now after the release on video you add a few more million fans.

also keep in mind the Love story(will bring in a few of the ladies)although I dont foresee a titanic love story.

Plus the Fights in EP 2 will be so awesome that many will come back JUST to see the fights.I also dont foresee the critics bashing it the way they did TPM.Plus I doubt there will be any AUSTIN powers movie to thort any people away from it.Plus It will just flat out be the movie Of a life time(until ep3)Plus I plan on seeing it 100 times (if I aint as broke as I am now)

buffjedi/wookieboy

Jedieb
Mar 6th, 2001, 10:26:24 PM
Let me make something clear, I never said Matirx2 could compete with EP2. In fact, I even said it could "NEVER" beat EP2. I said it would benefit from the spillover audience. I never once said it would take away from EP2 ticket sales did I? The Matrix 2 would still have a decent opening and it would probably gather the lion share of the spill over audience. Anybody who thinks that's a stupid idea can go screw themselves. If it were me, I'd open it on EP2's 2nd weekend. Which would give EP2 a 10 day run and clear the way for Matrix 2 to have a decent opening. Although I doubt it would top EP2 in its 2nd weekend, it would still do solid business.

Darth23
Mar 7th, 2001, 01:58:33 AM
Anybody who thinks that's a stupid idea can go screw themselves

jedieb: you should be used to Jon-speak by now.

:p

Jedieb
Mar 7th, 2001, 11:07:14 AM
Yes, I should be use to his insecure ramblings. You're right Darth23, I lost my head. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! :p

buff jedi 2
Mar 8th, 2001, 12:53:59 AM
Yeah EBS , Im shocked at you :( I know we all at times loose our heads(know I have) that's expected from someone like me BUT YOU.... I have lost all my faith in the world ;)

buffjedi/wookieboy

Jedieb
Mar 8th, 2001, 10:50:18 AM
Buff has lost faith in me!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
To the wookie boy I offer my sincerest apologies.

buff jedi 2
Mar 8th, 2001, 04:04:51 PM
Its Ok EBS, Your still the BEST.Just hearing you say things like that ,Kinda of took me off guard :)

buffjedi/wookieboy