PDA

View Full Version : OT-Boot Camp "Save The Drama For Your Momma!"

Jedieb
Mar 28th, 2001, 09:57:42 PM
Usually, I avoid these "reality" series at all costs. My wife watches Survivor while I read or watch Friends. Temptation Island was one of the taudriest and tackiest shows in recent memory. But FOX's new Boot Camp show is something different. It's something I can relate to. I endured 2 months of Basic Training at Fort Jackson, S.C. in the summer of 88. I'm anxious to see just how "real" these Marine Corps DI's are going to be.

A friend from work and my wife have both made the same comment to me about the show; "You could win that if you were in it." Both times I replied; "There's no way in hell I could win that. I hated Basic Training the first time I went through it, there's no way I could go through it again now, especially with a wife and kids to go home to." In fact, if I had a choice of being a contestant or one of the DI's I'd take the DI's job in a heartbeat. I'd love it! During my college days I was one of the greatest hazers my fraternity had ever seen. Every semester brothers would stand in awe of just how loud and ruthless I could be to pledges. But it was all in brotherly love, honest! ;)

I'm really looking forward to comparing my memories of Basic Training to what these DI's are going to do on the show. The one weak point that I see that the show has is that it's not on cable. There are few people on the planet that can use profanity as effectively or eloquently as a DI. That's just not going to be possible on this show. I once had a DI scream this to me; "WHO THE F*&% TOLD YOU TO DO THAT?! DO YOU WANT ME TO RIP OFF YOUR HEAD AND S(*& DOWN YOUR NECK?!" And do you know why the towering 6' 4" black hulk of a DI said that to me? Because I picked a pen to sign in for lunch before he gave me permission. Obviously, I was asking for it! Another time I walked into a room without removing my cover (hat) fast enough and a DI smacked me in the head and removed it for me. Ah, memories...

Then again, this is FOX we're talking about. The show could end being crap. I guess I'll find out tonight.

Darth23
Mar 28th, 2001, 10:31:35 PM
I want to be a Peace protester on the show.

:)

Jedieb
Mar 29th, 2001, 01:08:06 AM
Well I saw the first episode and I have to say it was half way decent. I was mostly interested in the screaming fits the DI's had. They were pretty realistic. The "competitions" are rather boring and you the have the typical contestant interviews you see on other shows. It's a good show to watch while you're reading something. I basically picked my head out of my book whenever a DI started screaming at someone.

You know Darth23, the military just doesn't go around makin' war. Usually it's prople in suits that order them to do the fightin'! ;)

Darth23
Mar 29th, 2001, 01:35:35 PM
So there's Boot Camp AND Wargames on TBS?

Hmmm...

I smell a war in Columbia coming - I give it 2 years.

Dubya needs to show that he can do what his Daddy did.

------

I KNOW it's the suits, it's ALWAYS the suits. :D

Jedieb
Mar 29th, 2001, 08:58:55 PM
Columbia can have as many civil wars as it wants, but you won't see a U.S. led invasion of any kind. All you'd end with is another Vietnam. The Gulf was a unique situation and a Columbian jungle war, over drugs I imagine, would have little in common with Desert Storm.

That Boot Camp show is on FOX, I know the TBS show you're talking about. That's hosted by Howie Long right? I have no interest in that. I just want to see some DI's go off on people. :)

Darth23
Mar 30th, 2001, 12:16:36 PM
You're sick. :P

Jedieb
Mar 30th, 2001, 12:42:14 PM
YES, YES I AM!!