PDA

View Full Version : Spy Kids vs Josie!

Darth23
Apr 12th, 2001, 04:42:14 PM
Who will win the weekend?

Personally I hope Spy Kids does it again. I think Josie's opening on Wednesday will hurt its' Fri - Sun totals. Especially if the audience shares the view of many critics.

I'm just wonderign why they bothered to use the title of the 70's cartoon.

Darth23
Apr 12th, 2001, 06:31:52 PM
OWWWCH!

Josie debuted at number 6 with 800k - behind Joe Dirt and Kingdom Come. Maybe they spent all that money on advertising for nothing.

Looks Like the BO Guru and Lee might both be wrong.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2001, 09:41:37 PM
it was probly because most of its target audience was still in school. If it doesn't win, then I guess Bridget Jones diary will win the weekend, probably making 17 million.

Darth23
Apr 12th, 2001, 09:59:14 PM
Bridget Jones Diary?

---

I'd think that if there was even a little interest or enthusiasm to see it, it would have made more than a million.

Darth Turbogeek
Apr 12th, 2001, 11:57:51 PM
OUCH!!!

Personally, Josie deserves a death. Why the hell was THIS POS cartoon done over??????

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 13th, 2001, 12:41:48 AM
Bridget Jones diary is a romantic comedy by Miramax staring Renee Zellenger and Hugh Grant, has to with this english girl falling in love its made by the same people who did Notting Hill and Two Wedding and a Funeral. Most of the industry experts figured it was between that and Josie. If Josie does tank than I guess Bridget Jones will win the weekend.

jjwr
Apr 13th, 2001, 09:05:40 AM
I've never even heard of that, can't be very well advertised.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 13th, 2001, 09:52:26 AM
I've seen several previews for it since the Final Four. So far its been the best critical recieved film of the new ones I think most critics are calling it very funny. Its also based on a very popular novel that I had never read. Since its target audience is women, I'm betting that a lot of girls will be dragging their boyfriends to see it.

Jedieb
Apr 13th, 2001, 01:15:57 PM
I actually saw the trailer for BJD the last time I was at the theater and I've seen several commercials for it. It looks like it's very funny and Rene Z. seems very convincing in the role. I didn't know she could pull off a British accent so well.

CMJ
Apr 13th, 2001, 01:30:03 PM
Zellweger's dialect coach was the same one Gwenyth Paltrow used for SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE. Thats probably why she is so convincing.

Darth23
Apr 14th, 2001, 04:24:16 PM
I don't know which is weirder, Americans doing British accents or Brits (or Aussies) doing American accents.

I think, for some reason non Americans hiding their accents is more annoying to me.

CMJ
Apr 14th, 2001, 04:41:30 PM
Is wierd. I mean they're actors. They are SUPPOSED to be able to do things like that. :) On a sie note JOSIE has underperformed so far this weekend.

Darth23
Apr 14th, 2001, 10:44:23 PM
Well I guess that it seems like Brits and Aussies have to act with an American accent because someone thinks that the audience won't accept foreign soundign peoiple or something.

it's one thing for it to be a specific role - but look at Mel Gibson, for instance. Ture he was born inthe US, but he grew up in OZ from the tiem he was liek 2 or something, and when he started otu in the business he had a definite American accent. Now he seems to try to talk 'American' even in interviews. it's one think if the character is specifically American, otherwise it just seems silly.

Have you HEARD Dolph Lundgren lately? Does he think that just because he can do a bad job of acting without a German accent that he's going to be more successful? Or a better actor? I've seen Ben Kingsley in a few movies speaking with an annoying 'merican' accent.

I thought that Claire Forlani had a great accent in Mystery Men - I didn't know anything abotu her and I didn't even know she was British. But I've seen Minnie Driver in a few films and for soem reason it sounds weird to me when she's talking without her accent.

At least Ahnold hasn't done that. (yet). :b

Darth23
Apr 15th, 2001, 06:48:51 PM
1 Spy Kids - $12.8
2 Along Came a Spider - $11.3
3 Bridget Jones - $10.8
4 Joe Dirt - $8.2
5 Blow - $8.0
6 Kingdom Come - $7.5
7 Josie & the P. - $5.2
8 Pokemon 3 - $2.7
9 Someone Like Y. - $2.6
10 Heartbreakers - $2.5
11 Enemy at the G. - $2.5
12 Crouching Tiger - $2.2

--------

Looks like Josie was a non issue - so much for those 14 million plus predictions.
Pokemon dropped 67% - I guess that means it's star was completely faded.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 15th, 2001, 10:21:30 PM
The top of the box office is sure crowded, not one film even dominated. Doesn't look to get any better next week with the debuts of Town and Country (some Warren Beatty comedy), Freddy Got Fingered (Tom Green's first feature film), and Crocodile Dundee in LA (can't believe they have made another one, but at least Paul Hogan has never faked his accent). If I would have to guess I say the Tom Green movie will debut at #1 with 15 million or so but that would be a guess.

Darth23
Apr 15th, 2001, 11:44:02 PM
but at least Paul Hogan has never faked his accent.

heh heh

Force Master Hunter
Apr 16th, 2001, 12:42:24 AM
Have a listen to Paul Hogan in the 70's is the same as in the year 2001.