PDA

View Full Version : Hockey

Albi Wan Yankovi
Apr 18th, 2001, 10:07:46 PM
It's Stanley Cup time! The best teams are in the playoffs! Any hockey fans out there? If so, who are you rooting for? I'm rooting for the Penguins who are playing right now. I can't see the game, though. My cable's been out since yesterday! :mad: We called the cable company twice. They said they'd be out tonight... nothing... sigh... anyway GO PENS!

Doc Milo
Apr 18th, 2001, 11:00:04 PM
The best of the teams are in the playoffs? I thought in Hockey, pretty much every team made the playoffs!

Sorry, not a big Hockey fan...

CMJ
Apr 19th, 2001, 08:58:13 AM
I'm pulling for the Sabres to win it all. They lead Philly 3-1 in the 1st round then we'd meet the Pens - Caps winner.

Oh yeah Doc...not everybody makes the playoffs anymore. In think there's 30 teams in the league and 16 make it. Sure thats over half, but in the NBA 16 of 29 make the playoffs. I'm no math major but I think the percentages are comperable. :)

Darth23
Apr 19th, 2001, 10:52:07 AM
:: smacks CMJ for rooting against a Philly team ::

>:-|

Doc Milo
Apr 19th, 2001, 03:42:12 PM
Oh yeah Doc...not everybody makes the playoffs anymore. In think there's 30 teams in the league and 16 make it. Sure thats over half, but in the NBA 16 of 29 make the playoffs. I'm no math major but I think the percentages are comperable.

Yeah. Not a big basketball fan either.

To me, the more teams that make the playoffs, the less the season means as a whole. But at least it's not "all of them make it" (or at one time, I think everyone but like three or four teams made it or something.) At least there are legitimately teams left out and the season at least means something in that regards...

But that's the last I'll say about it. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I should come in and spoil other peoples fun in discussing it. (I was just in a mood yesterday!) Anyway, sorry to be a party-pooper. Carry on . . . . carry on . . . . :)

Jedi Master Kyle
Apr 19th, 2001, 09:21:54 PM
Go Oilers! And if not, Go Wings. And if all else fails, I want Colorado to win it all ONLY for Ray Bourque. ONLY. If Star Wars is #1 in my books, then hockey is 1A. Maybe someday I'll be able to root for my hometeam in the playoffs again...

trammel
Apr 19th, 2001, 10:43:48 PM
I would like to see Colorado win. I want to see Ray Bourque win the Stanley Cup before he retires.

-Tom

JonathanLB
Apr 20th, 2001, 07:40:24 PM
Yeah! GO BLAZERS!

Oh wait, this is the hockey thread, hahaha. Hockey is the only real sport I don't follow. It's just not on major networks and it's too hard to get into, games go pretty slowly and I'm not real excited by it.

Albi Wan Yankovi
Apr 20th, 2001, 07:53:42 PM
Actually JLB, every Saturday starting in March ABC carries NHL games. This weekend the Caps and the Pens are playing on ABC starting at 3:00 I believe. Oh yeah, and... Go Sabers! I'm from Pittsburgh, so Philly's gotta go!

Jedi Master Kyle
Apr 20th, 2001, 08:32:03 PM
Games go slowly? It's the fastest game on earth! :)

JonathanLB
Apr 21st, 2001, 01:21:15 AM
Yeah especially those 1-0 nail-biters!!! haha.

Not much scoring every happens; it's a lot like baseball as far as I'm concerned. I actually enjoy baseball, and I watch the playoffs almost always, but I MUST do something else while watching or I'd be insanely bored. I usually am on the computer, doing math, or reading while watching a baseball game, haha.

Doc Milo
Apr 21st, 2001, 05:26:46 AM
To me, the most boring sport in the world must be soccer. I can see why people riot at soccer games. If I'd just wasted three hours of my life watching people dance around mid-field, and the game ends in a zero-zero tie, I'd riot too!

JonathanLB
Apr 21st, 2001, 03:59:19 PM
hahaha, soccer blows SO HARD. What a terribly boring sport. Nothing ever happens except the ball moves around like a little pinball.

You'd be surprised, middle school soccer is much more fun to watch because the ball never moves too far at any one time, and the kids really go at it, so it's more exciting! :)

It's the only case where the non-professional version of the sport is actually far more exciting.

I used to play soccer for about five years, and I really enjoyed playing it. It's a fun sport to play, but it's a really really boring sport to watch.

CMJ
Apr 21st, 2001, 04:03:58 PM
I hope I'm not celebrating too early but it looks like the Sabres WILL move on to the next round. If we blow this 4-0 lead I'm gonna be pissed.

The other 2 teams I follow both have a chance to close there series out also. Dallas MIGHT win tonight(though I'd bet on Edmenton forcing game 7) and NJ seems to be fading. They need to get their act together. It would be pretty humiliating if they blow that 3 game series lead.

Albi Wan Yankovi
Apr 21st, 2001, 06:43:17 PM
CMJ, Buffalo and Pittsburgh! And you know who is going to win! That's right... Jagr, Lemieux, Kovalev... MUA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Albi Wan Yankovi
Apr 22nd, 2001, 02:02:19 AM
CURRENT PLAYOFF STATUS:

EAST
Quater-Finals
Pittsburgh vs. Washington
Pittsburgh wins series 4-2

Quater-Finals
Buffalo vs. Philadelphia
Buffalo wins series 4-2

Quarter-Finals
Carolina vs. New Jersey
New Jersey wins series 4-2

Quarter-Finals
Toronto vs. Ottowa
Toronto wins series 4-0

Semi-Finals
Pittsburgh* vs. Buffalo
Pittsburgh wins series 4-3

Semi-Finals
New Jersey* vs. Toronto
New Jersey wins series 4-3

Confernece Finals
New Jersey vs. Pittsburgh*
Series tied 1-1

WEST
Quarter-Finals
San Jose vs. St. Louis
St. Louis wins series 4-2

Quater-Finals
L.A. vs. Detroit
L.A. wins series 4-2

Quarter-Finals
Edmonton vs. Dallas
Dallas wins series 4-2

Quarter-Finals
Colorado vs. Vancouver
Colorado wins series 4-0

Semi-Finals
Colorado vs. Los Angeles*
Colorado wins series 3-3

Semi-Finals
Dallas* vs. St. Louis
St. Louis wins series 4-0

Conference Finals
St. Louis* vs. Colorado
Colorado leads series 2-0

CMJ
Apr 23rd, 2001, 07:52:28 PM
The Penguins won't beat the Sabres. Buffalo looked pretty damn strong in the last round. I'm really looking forward to the series though, I think it'll be really entertaining.

Jedi Master Kyle
Apr 23rd, 2001, 11:10:13 PM
Never underestimate Super Mario. That's going to be a hell of a series. Hasek looked merely human against the Flyers who don't have Lemieux, Jagr, Straka, Lang, Kovalev, Morozov and others...

CMJ
Apr 24th, 2001, 12:48:27 AM
The Pens do have a great chance...I was talking trash. :) I do think we(the Sabres) have more scoring than we used to, so we don't HAVE to rely on Hasek standing on his head to win games for us. Hasek didn't look that great vs. Philly...BUT we're talking about Hasek here. Has there been a more dominating goalie in the NHL over the past 5-6 years. Nope. I'd say he's one of the best of all time(of course I'm biased but look at his all-time GAA).

JonathanLB
Apr 24th, 2001, 05:17:51 AM
Don't make me laugh, all of those teams are going to lose except for one. lol.

Albi Wan Yankovi
Apr 26th, 2001, 08:05:00 PM
:lol: Very logical Jonathan! Very logical! ;)

Gotta update the playoff status. Anyhoo, Lemieux scored on a sweet slap shot between the Hash's legs. Right now, the Moose is being the Moose! MOOOOOOOOOOSE! And the Pengin's are on a Power Play. MOOOOOOOOSE! Anyhoo, don't get me wrongo... Hashek is... well... Hashek... perhaps the best (wirh Roy in close second). He ain't, however, Jagr, or Mario, or Kovalev, or Hrdina (the Funky Cold Hrdina). Sure, the Sabers have Satan on their side (I love his name! :lol: ) but the 'Guins have two hockey Gods. Oh yeah, and a MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!

CMJ
Apr 27th, 2001, 08:47:34 AM
Okay Pitt has Game 1. I still expect a long series...so I'm not giving up yet. Hell it's just ONE game. I was pretty distressed last night. If I hadn't been watching the game with my girlfriend I would have been throwing crap at the TV. :)

Jedi Master Kyle
Apr 27th, 2001, 08:57:47 AM
Where would the Pens be without Mario? Or the Moose for that matter. Man is he standing on his head! Why are all the visiting teams winning? And would someone PLEASE stop the Maple Laffs???

CMJ
Apr 27th, 2001, 10:18:41 AM
I was way more surprised by the Leafs win last night.

Albi Wan Yankovi
Apr 27th, 2001, 05:44:44 PM
To be honest, without Mario and the Moose, they'd only have Jagr (who left last night with some sort of injury and has had this... growth on his knuckle so he's been slumping), Kovalev (who's been in a rut), Hrdina (who looks creepy), Straka (who's been in a slump, too), Garth Snow in the goal (great early on but still recovering for a groin injury) and J.S. Aubin (KEEP HIM FAR AWAY FROM THE GOAL!!!!!). Without Moose and Mario, the Pens wouldn't have made it out of the first round. And I don't care what anyone says. Roy, Hasek, Cujo... NONE of them stand up to the Moose. Long live Hedberg! Kiss the cup Mario, it's yours again this year.

Jedi Master Kyle
Apr 30th, 2001, 11:23:04 PM
well well well, after nearly 2 strong periods of play, it looks like the sabres have solved the moose. first chink in the armour hedberg! the sabres needed to win, and they did. the pens better show what they're made of in game 4 or they're in a heap of trouble. And that baby Jagr better grow up and play soon...

CMJ
May 1st, 2001, 12:16:47 AM
We needed it bad. I was starting to fear that we might be SWEPT. Even though I love my Sabres, I now think the Pens will take the series in 6. Of course...if we win Game 4 I might change my mind. :)

On a side note...no home team has done ANYTHING in the second round. Home teams are a combined 2-9(and Colorodo is about to make it 2-10 against LA). In the first round the home team usually won...but not here...AT ALL.

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 1st, 2001, 06:13:06 PM
Pure luck ;) Hey, the Moose needed an off day. He was fantastic when he didn't give up the goals. And even then he was winthin an inch of saving two of 'em. I was HOPING the 'Guins would sweep (nothing against you guys, but against the hottie in my school and down the street who likes 'em), but alas. As long as they come out on top in the series, I'll be happy! P-E-N-S! PENS PENS PENS!

CMJ
May 3rd, 2001, 06:29:00 PM
I can't believe it, but we managed to tie the series. Now I think we might actually WIN this thing.

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 3rd, 2001, 07:53:36 PM
Do not speak of the travisty that was last night. :mad: What is happening to them? I mean, GEEZ! After the second period their defense just crumbles!!! We need Oliwa back.

Jedi Master Kyle
May 3rd, 2001, 10:12:27 PM
Didn't you bear witness to last year's meltdown? Up 2-0 against the Flyers, then to drop the next 4? Looks like history may be repeating itself. Now I said *may*. :)

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 3rd, 2001, 10:34:39 PM
Sadly (or not) I wasn't quite as into hockey then (i.e. not at all) back then. I remember seeing a brief glimpse of the game on a TV in PA when I was visiting back home. I NEVER even thought that the playoffs were on and that it went FIVE OT!!!! And I just found out about the 4 game meltdown about a week ago... gulp... needless to say... I'm a little shaken... (not stirred ;) )

CMJ
May 5th, 2001, 04:32:14 PM
Need I say more? :) I don't believe we probably will win the series now. I can't believe a home team finally won a game.

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 5th, 2001, 05:33:01 PM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
WHY?! Oh God... this sucks... I'll be avoiding the next game, that's for sure... maybe they can take it in 7... :(

Jedi Master Kyle
May 6th, 2001, 03:21:03 AM
Yeah well these goddam maple leafs are making me sick to my stomach and giving my pains in my head.

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 6th, 2001, 05:01:27 PM
:( :( :(

Jedi Master Kyle
May 7th, 2001, 10:39:20 PM
It ain't over yet!!! Thank the maker! Die Leafs Die!

CMJ
May 9th, 2001, 08:37:14 AM
1:18 away from the series. I was pissed off. I pray we take game 7...otherwise I'll never forget that fluke "pop up" goal that Mario scored. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Jedi Master Kyle
May 9th, 2001, 09:00:24 AM
Gotta be good to be lucky and lucky to be good.

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 9th, 2001, 05:37:17 PM
JMK and jjwr- Lemieux us good, so Lemieux is lucky. There's none better. Not now, not ever. Take the Gretzky junk away... Lemieux is and always will be the best. Pens take game 7 in OT. Winning goal, Mario Lemieux...

Jedi Master Kyle
May 9th, 2001, 10:23:27 PM
Of course you know that Mario has never scored a playoff goal, don't you? Of course, now that the Maple Laffs are out, I don't care who wins, as long as good hockey is played! And I'm not sure if I'd say Lemieux is better than Gretzky, that is a bold statement. Wayne has 61 NHL records, some of which may stand for a long long time. Of course, Mario owns the title of most successful comeback in recent memory, and should the pens win it all, I don't think there's any doubt that it will be called the greatest comeback in all of pro sports- ever. But all that aside...

THE LEAFS ARE GONE!!!! :rollin:

CMJ
May 10th, 2001, 08:55:42 AM
I guess when the chips are down...Home Ice really does matter. That bodes well for the Sabres tonight. I believe home teams are now .500 through the playoffs with the two victories last night.

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 10th, 2001, 06:17:46 PM
I still say he's the best ever. But I might be biased ;)

Jedieb
May 10th, 2001, 08:19:10 PM
I'm pulling for the Penguins! My college roommate was a big Penguins fan and Lemiuex's comeback reminds me of Jordan's return from baseball. I think it would be great for hockey if the Penguins made it to the Stanley Cup finals. Hey tough break for the Avalanch huh? I've always liked Patrick Roy(sp?). Another one of my college roommates was a HUGE Canadians fan (He was French Canadian) and he use to go on and on about Roy.

JMK I just read your comeback statement; AHHH!!!!! Even if Lemieux and the Penguins pull off game 7 and he dominates the the conference and Stanley Cup finals I still Jordan's return from baseball was the greatest comeback ever. I remember seeing all of the pundits saying that Jordan would "never" be what he once was. And when Nick Anderson stole the ball from money they all said I told you so. Everyone from sports reporters to Charles Barley doubted Michael. And what did he do? He went on to lead the league in scoring for 3 more years, won 3 titles, 3 finals MVPs, another league MVP, another all-star MVP, and led the Bulls to an all time league best record of 72 wins. And remember the Game 5 against the Jazz when he was so sick from the flu it looked like he was ready to puke at any moment? Gutsiest basketball performance I've ever seen. And you Knick fans can go on and on about Willis Reed, but the man didn't go on to score 30 plus points and hit the game winner did he? I've got to go with Money.

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 10th, 2001, 11:26:09 PM
PENS WIN! PENS WIN! ON TO NEW JERSEY!!!! And I still don't care... Mario is/always will be the best. His comeback is just... amazing. He comes back after 3 1/2 years off. He comes back to score more points than 13 other teams high scorers. He leads the Penguins to the conference finals (hopefully more). And he did all of that with only half a year played! Mario... the best ever.

Jedi Master Kyle
May 11th, 2001, 08:49:22 AM
I think what makes Lemieux's comeback the most remarkable is that he's suffered far more physically that Jordan. He (Jordan) left at basketball at the top of his game, and while Mario was never off his game, I don't think anyone really thought that he would overcome hodgkins, bad back, and his opinion of the sport. The way he's returned to lead the pens is amazing.

CMJ
May 11th, 2001, 08:54:53 AM
The second game in a row that we blew. We had Game 7 and threw it away...then did the same with this one. I was pretty f#%kin' mad last night, I can tell you that. Good luck to the Pens the rest of the way. Hell good luck to all the teams left. Each would make a pretty good story if they won it all.

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 11th, 2001, 04:11:56 PM
On behalf of the Penguins, thanks CMJ. The Sabers were a hellatough (damn you Cartman) team. I was scared the Pens were going to drop it like last year. Just remember, you can take solice in the fact that your team lost to the 2000-2001 Stanley Cup champions ;) Sorry they beat your team CMJ(don't ban me!!! ;) )

obiwan shinobi
May 11th, 2001, 04:15:16 PM
dang

i can't believe that Kaspy, of all people, scored

i liked the slide after, though :)

CMJ
May 11th, 2001, 04:49:12 PM
I noticed I said we had Game 7 and threw it away. We did but I meant to say Game 6! Anyways...grrrrr. BTW thanks for mentioning the Cup Finals 2 years ago. We got screwed out og Game 6. Who knows if we would have ended up winning the game...or game 7 for that matter. But Dallas' goal SHOULD NOT HAVE COUNTED!! I think I'm cursed to root for teams that always manage to do things like that. :(

And yes...the slide was cool. Though I only saw it on replay....when it actually happened I was cursing at the TV. I also through the remote control at the wall. :)

obiwan shinobi
May 11th, 2001, 06:31:38 PM
yeah, that Dallas goal from a few years back was pretty controversial

as for yesterday's game, i was surprised that Hasek let in such an easy looking shot...maybe he was shocked that Kaspy could even shoot :)

trammel
May 12th, 2001, 09:55:39 PM
http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/multimedia/img/oneteam640.jpg

Go Avs!

-Tom

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 13th, 2001, 03:57:05 PM
YEAH! GO home AVS! GO home!

Jedi Master Kyle
May 13th, 2001, 10:12:55 PM
Hey, Albi, we haven't heard any comments from you about yesterday's game! (Just teasing! :lol: )

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 13th, 2001, 10:27:04 PM
THAT'S IT! I'M TELLING MY MOM!!! MMMMMMOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM! JEDI MASTER KYLE IS PICKING ON ME!!!

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 15th, 2001, 10:06:32 PM
I'm willing to talk about tonights game JMK ;) BRING IT ON!!!

Jedi Master Kyle
May 16th, 2001, 02:12:22 PM
Dude, I want the Pens to beat the Devils, I'm quite sick of their boring winning ways. I just wanted them to beat the Toronto Make-Believes, and they did, so I'm ok with the Devils losing at any time now. :)
Once again, Mario carries his team when Jagr just sits idly by and watches Mario reclaim his title of world's best player.

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 16th, 2001, 08:59:13 PM
P-E-N-S! Notice how close that is to being the male reproductive organ? Sorry... I couldn't resist... GO PENS!

Jedi Master Kyle
May 17th, 2001, 09:01:52 AM
Are you suggesting that the Pens are no more than a team of wangs? I'd agree if you were referring to Jagr. (Boy does that guy get on my last nerve. Talk about selfish, your team is as far as they've been in a long time, and now you start talking about your salary being too much for the pens to handle and that you think you should be traded. Try showing a little solidarity to your teammates. Sure you have 2 cups, but some of your other mates don't. end rant.)

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 18th, 2001, 04:55:36 PM
All I'll say is... :(

Jedi Master Kyle
May 18th, 2001, 06:45:27 PM
That was harsh last night man. It's like no one showed up to play. I'm very interested in tonight's game though. It's going to be a great one.

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 19th, 2001, 08:01:19 PM
And you thought Thursday was harsh... :( man oh man... at least it was a good run. Welcome home Lemieux. Maybe all the Pens fans could send $5 to the Mellon Arena. If all pitch in, we'll surely have enough to cover Jagr's $10 million stuff. But, come on. Lemieux (the undisputed king of hockey right now) is playing for the league average. He owns the team, he can set what ever cash amount he wants. He made himself take the average. Why can't you, Jagr? You're only #2 now...