PDA

View Full Version : SHREK

CMJ
May 23rd, 2001, 11:16:19 AM
Quite simply stunning. This film was hilarious, gorgeous to look at, and original. It had great voice performances by the cast. Lots of "grown up" humor. It is the best film of 2001 that I have seen. Anyone else catch this classic?

ReaperFett
May 23rd, 2001, 12:33:52 PM
Im avoiding it, I dont like how they go and discredit Disney characters. Will see on DVD when it appears

Doc Milo
May 23rd, 2001, 02:30:50 PM
I agree CMJ. This was a great, fun movie. Very funny movie. The "adult" humor was disguised enough to go over kids heads while adults could get the references. I'd recommend it to anyone! Kids and adults alike.

CMJ
May 23rd, 2001, 02:55:22 PM
I'd forgotten how funny Eddie Murphy COULD be. I've found him irritating in recent years...but he was REALLY great in this.

ReaperFett
May 23rd, 2001, 03:00:48 PM
Martin Lawrence got funnier than him. Blue Streak was cool:)

Darth23
May 23rd, 2001, 08:09:28 PM
So are you a big Disney fan Reap?

ReaperFett
May 23rd, 2001, 08:58:52 PM
not hugely, but I dislike the entire idea thatthe SHrek makers take characters, and change them. If Star Trek did that with Star Wars, thered be an outcry

Jedi Master Kyle
May 23rd, 2001, 09:06:13 PM
Who ripped off what?

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2001, 11:27:55 PM
By my understanding the characters that you are refering to are Snow white and the seven drawfs, Cinderella, the big bad wolf, etc none of these characters are "Disney characters" perhaps they used them in their movies but they are fairy tale characters created by the Grim Brothers and Hans Christian Anderson a long time ago, so Disney has no rights to them and anybody can use them as they wish.

CMJ
May 24th, 2001, 11:23:31 AM
The Grim brothers didn't make them up either. They just wrote the stories down for the first time. Most fairy tales have been with us for HUNDREDS of years.

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2001, 11:47:59 AM
True your right, though I am sure they added their own touch to the stoires they had been oral stories for centuries before that.

Jedieb
May 24th, 2001, 12:43:52 PM
I don't see ANY problem with Shrek using those characters. Disney has ripped off tons of characters and stories over the years. And let's not even get into the horror that was Pocahontas. Don't get me wrong, I like many classic and modern Disney films, but we're not talking about the most original people in Hollywood here.

jjwr
May 24th, 2001, 08:27:48 PM
Shrek was flat out incredible! Best movie I've seen this year and unless something pretty great comes along in the next 6 months it'll be my movie of the year(LotR has a shot).

Qui Gon Gin
May 24th, 2001, 10:56:29 PM
Shrek was great! My dad and I saw it, and we loved it! Mike Meyers has a great voice, and Eddie Murphy was hilarious! John Lithgow was a great bad guy too. I highly recommend it.

Darth23
May 25th, 2001, 11:01:25 AM
I think I'll go see it this weekend instead of the Big Boat mov - er I mean the Big War Movie.

Jedieb
May 25th, 2001, 10:46:37 PM
I took my son to see it this afternoon. He's a little too young to really enjoy a movie and understand what's really going on but we had a good time nevertheless. I thought it was great movie. Plenty of stuff for both adults and kids. The movie looked incredible as well. The graphics were excellent. There was a fight scene with Matrix joke that was simply hilarious. Myers and Murphy were hilarious. I'd have to agree that it's some of the funniest stuff Murphy has done in ages.

JonathanLB
May 27th, 2001, 01:07:49 AM
My friend is a total hypocrite, so I still haven't seen it.

Last year, he insisted we go to see Chicken Run, which I thought was the worst movie of the entire summer, spare maybe What Lies Beneath, but now he refuses to see Shrek because it's too little kiddie (which I don't think is true at all).

I will go see Shrek alone, though. I will see it when school is out this next week (I graduate soon! Three days left). I think the movie looks very good, and I have nothing against animated films, especially anything by DreamWorks.

I really think DreamWorks has done a remarkable job of putting out quality films. I used not to care at all whether a film was by Paramount, MGM, Fox, or whatever, all studios are the same, I thought. Now, I really am more likely to go see any DreamWorks film. They've not made too many movies that aren't either critically acclaimed or very popular. I have liked almost everything they've done, and of course, they've done well at the Oscars. Saving Private Ryan (should have won more, though), American Beauty, Gladiator. DreamWorks is on a roll.

I pretty much trust that they will not release inferior films. What kind of upper management do they have that allows them to release great film after great film? I don't get it. Why can't Fox or the other studios be so reliable? They have an absolutely fantastic team of people over there.

I also tend to like New Line Cinema films, such as Rush Hour, Blade, Dark City, etc. They're very strong, but they release many teen flicks I think too, not all of which are great.

DreamWorks is amazing. Their name suits their company.

Albi Wan Yankovi
May 27th, 2001, 01:13:19 AM
Jonathan-
Dreamworks SKG (Speilberg, Katzenberg, Geffen). Enough said...

Darth23
May 28th, 2001, 09:43:00 PM
Um Jon?

We just got a letter from your Freshman Year History teacher....

Apparently a mistake was made with your final grade......

:D

CMJ
May 29th, 2001, 09:01:57 AM
You talk about how great Dreamworks is but remember CCHICKEN RUN was a Dreamworks film and WHAT LIES BENEATH was a co-production of Dreamworks and I think Universal. I know you didn't say that everything they put out was great, but since you apparently disliked both those films I thought it was an interesting point to bring up.

For the record I really dug CHICKEN RUN and thought WHAT LIES BENEATH has a pretty slick thriller.

QuiGonJ
May 29th, 2001, 10:50:31 AM
They didn't discredit Disney characters, those guys were just there, and the mood was more Tex Avery than anything when they were around. What they did savage was Disney itself, and without giving anything away about the film, Katzenberg supposedly wandered into the animators room with a bunch of pictures of someone and said I want the villian to look like that.... that being Michael Eisner... and they made fun of the amusement parks in one scene.

Darth23
May 29th, 2001, 04:32:08 PM
From www.showbizdata.com: (http://www.showbizdata.com:)

Some analysts suggested that even more remarkable than the performance of Pearl Harbor was the second-week showing of DreamWorks' Shrek, which took in an estimated $54.2 million -- and may even have filled about the same number of seats as Pearl, given the sizable number of half-price kids' tickets that it undoubtedly sold. [GOOD POINT] The film has now grossed $110.7 million in just two weeks and seems certain to pass the $200-million mark domestically. Entertainment analyst Art Rockwell told Bloomberg News that the results for the computer-animated movie were "the biggest surprise hit of the weekend. ... Considering what it was up against, it's very impressive."

DreamWorks distribution chief Jim Tharp called the tally "pretty phenomenal." Analysts pointed out that the film actually earned slightly more during the Friday - Sunday period in its second week than it did during the same period a week earlier when it opened -- and was up 29 percent for the four-day period. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Bruce Olson, president of Milwaukee-based Marcus Theaters said that such a week-to-week rise is "extremely rare."

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2001, 09:31:39 PM
CMJ, you just missed the point.

My point wasn't that I liked everything DreamWorks has ever made. My point was that basically EVERY movie they make is either critically or popularity successful.

Chicken Run: some of the best reviews of the year, $100 million+ (Regardless of whether I liked it or not).

What Lies Beneath: Over $150 million (critics didn't like it). Obviously they are making movies that people like, even if I don't always like them, they never miss. They are almost perfect from the line, hehe.