PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Harbor

jjwr
Mar 30th, 2001, 10:13:48 AM
I finally saw a trailer for this one last night, it looked pretty wicked. The shots of the battle scenes were incredible, the Zero's strafing and bombing the ships, definetly gonna see this one opening weekend.

Darth23
Mar 30th, 2001, 12:00:04 PM
They moved the opening to Memorial day, so it looks like theyr going to milk it for everything they can get.

I saw one shot where a Zero was flying like 4 feet above the ground.

very Realistic - er maybe not.

:D

jjwr
Mar 30th, 2001, 12:22:37 PM
Very cool looking regardless. It'll probably open huge too.

Jedieb
Mar 30th, 2001, 12:40:34 PM
I was very impressed by the comercial that I saw. This does have the look of a blockbuster. Hopefully I'll get to see the trailer when I'm forced to see the Ashley Judd flick tonight. I'm secretly hoping Hugh Jackson will bare his Wolverine claws and slice Greg Kinear to pieces. I'd actually give the theater another 5 bucks on the way out if that happened. :)

Darth23
Mar 30th, 2001, 11:44:26 PM
Take your kids to Spy Kids! instead. :D

Jedieb
Mar 31st, 2001, 12:45:53 AM
We changed our minds about the movies, we're going tomorrow night. If my kids were a bit older I probably would take them to see SK. It looked cheesy at first, but the last commercial I saw looked much better. Right now my wife and I just want a night out and some piece and quiet! It's ironic that we have to go to a multiplex with surround sound to get it. :)

CMJ
Mar 31st, 2001, 10:53:00 AM
...BUT I have my doubts about it. Michael Bay is directing it, and he has yet to really prove himself to me. I hope he does a good job with this one...but I'm not holding my breath.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 31st, 2001, 04:55:40 PM
I'm not really woriedd, Bay is not a bad director he has just been victimized by bad scripts. Pearl Harbor is being written by Randall Wallace who wrote the screenplay for Braveheart. He is a good screenwriter probably the best one Bay has had for any of his movies.

CMJ
Apr 9th, 2001, 11:07:14 PM
Yes, he did write the script for BRAVEHEART( agreat film that I find a tad overrated) but he also wrote the script for MAN IN THE IRON MASK(an average flick at best....and alot of the problem was the script).

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 10th, 2001, 12:40:48 AM
I didn't realize that he wrote that film. Still that would be a difficult one to do, I would imagine adaptaing any of Dumas' books is very difficult just about all of his film adaptaions, except for the ones made into miniseries type of movies (especially the two three Musketeers movies staring Michael York, Oliver Reed, and Charlton Heston) have stunk. Still, I think this will be an incredible movie and I would not be surprised to hear some oscar buzz if gets any postive critical reception.

Darth23
Apr 10th, 2001, 09:38:42 AM
I think the movies is going to flop. ]

:D

Well maybe not FLOP. I mean, it's a big patriotic War pic opening Memorial Day weekend. But I dont' think it will be all that great - just a hunch.

it was originally supposed to open last year some time, and I have a feeling that they realized the movies wasn't that good, so they pushed it back to get as much of a holiday boost as they could.

Of course, that's just a theory, I have absolutely no proof.

:)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 10th, 2001, 02:20:39 PM
It wasn't suppose to open last year they only started filming last year. I remember reading that production of the film was put off a few years back because of the film's budget it was at 200 million at one point. This scared Disney and it wasn't until Bruckhimer(sp) and Bay found ways to get the budget under 150 (its at 120 last I heard) that they gave the okay. To me the film looks amazing from what I saw from the trailers. The special effects are going to rock and I doubt that this film won't make less than 250 million.

JonathanLB
Apr 10th, 2001, 06:02:27 PM
I think Pearl Harbor will be one of the year's best movies, no question about it. You can tell it'll be good just from the trailer basically, which is one of the best I've seen...

Force Master Hunter
Apr 10th, 2001, 07:07:46 PM
The moive is good cause the trailer is? Hey, ID4 looked brilliant because of the trailer and it wasnt all that great. Made lot of money of course, but as a moive ID4 was pretty sucky. Special effects rocked.

Somehow, I think Pearl Harbour will be another ID4. Great effects, crap movie. Could be wrong of course...

Best memory of ID4 - when Star Wars Special edition came out, there was an ad for ID4 on video before the movie. The whole theatre booed with a passion.

CMJ
Apr 10th, 2001, 10:59:40 PM
Funny you mention ID4. I'm in the process of writing a paper on how Presidents are portrayed in movies and President Whitmore from ID4 is my example of the "Superman" model...or the President we look for to give us everything. (It's a political science argument, written by some guy. The superman is the All evrything President) Amazingly enough this isn't even a film class I'm writing this paper for. I conned my Presidency Professor(my last non film upper level elective class...I'm only a few hours from graduating now!)into letting me write it.

Darth23
Apr 11th, 2001, 01:18:44 AM
I always thought the Pres in ID4 was doing kind of a Return of the Warrior King thing....

Cool - we have 2 PH bashers now! >:-}

I admit that it COULD be a good movie - I just have a sneaky suspicion that it will be kinf of riding Saving Private Ryan's coat tails more than blazing it's own trail.

JonathanLB
Apr 11th, 2001, 03:08:00 PM
I don't know how you could say that after seeing the trailer, honestly, it looks like a great movie. I cannot wait to see it.

ID4 was not a great movie, but it was at least enjoyable. I liked seeing it, and it's a solid film, just mostly SFX, not a real original plot (at all).

I think Pearl Harbor will be excellent, and yes, with a trailer that good I have confidence in it. Great trailers can be made for crappy movies, but usually I feel a trailer of such high quality indicates at least a good movie, possibly a great one.

Darth23
Apr 11th, 2001, 05:07:50 PM
I thought the trailer looked generic and manipulative.

It gives me that Jurrasic Park, M:I2, ID4 kind of feeling.

Force Master Hunter
Apr 11th, 2001, 06:38:10 PM
A trailer is advertising. Of course it's going to make the moive look good, that's it's job ain't it? Come on man, a good trailer (read:ad) does not mean a good moive! Fact is, is it not usually the case the more advertised a moive, usually the more crap it's going to be?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 11th, 2001, 07:42:16 PM
I disagree I don't think a hugely advertized film necissarily means that it will suck. Just about every big movie from Titanic to Battelfield Earth has had a lot of advertising, some stink while others are great movies. And sure a good trailer doesn't always mean anything but I usually can tell if I will see the movie or not. For example I knew from the trailer of both Battelfield Earth and the Avengers that they were bad movies. And I knew from the trailers of Jurassic Park and TPM that I would love them, I have the same feeling about Pearl Harbor. Also you cannot compare Pearl Harbor with ID4. ID4 had to with aliens and is a science fiction film. Pearl Harbor is a historical war epic, like Saving Private Ryan, the Longest Day, and the Sands of Iow Jima. So at least we know the film will have a good plot unless they distort historical events. I know the film is going to have some romantic elements I think between Kate Beckridge(sp) and Josh Harnett but it will probably be like Titanic and you could think that this could have realisically have happened.

Darth23
Apr 12th, 2001, 12:32:06 AM
I don't think the ads I've seen are there to get people to see the movie like the average film ad. I think they are being run to make the movie appear to be THE BIG MOVIE EVENT of the year. Like The Grinch. It's not just: 'come see this movie because it will be good'.

It's more like: "you MUST see this movie because EVERYONE will be seeing this movie because it's THE movie to see. Plus, it's coming out on Memorial Day so it's kind fof your Patriotic Duty to see it."

JonathanLB
Apr 12th, 2001, 04:26:28 AM
Well I guess that is the cynical view, but when the first trailer came out, all I heard from every film forum on the Internet and every friend was "Oh my God, that is such a great trailer, if the film is half as good as the trailer, it'll be one of the greatest movies ever." Seriously, I've hardly heard anyone talk down about the trailer.

And don't be silly, maybe your ability to discern the quality of a movie from the trailer is lacking, but not mine. I'm hardly ever wrong about a film. My first impression from all of the early word, the people involved, and the trailers is rarely ever wrong. When I see a trailer, I know whether it will be good or not with 90% certainty. Fight Club had a sucky trailer, and the film rocked, so that was in the 10%.

Though, it was so obvious Battlefield Earth was corny and stupid, and Avengers too, as said before. Every time I see a questionable trailer, then I see the movie, it is usually an average or mediocre film (or worse). Every once in a while, I am pleasantly surprised. Not often, though.

Hey, you are entitled to your opinions, but I personally feel that Pearl Harbor will be one of the year's top movies. It just looks stunning.

Jedieb
Apr 12th, 2001, 09:01:35 AM
I agree with Darth23, the commercial I saw portrayed PH to be an event movie. The release date also plays into that. I'm trying to think of the last time a trailer led me wrong. The Object of My Affection comes to mind. When I saw the trailer I thought the movie looked like it would be a silly romantic comedy. When I saw it I was stunned at just how bad it was, much worse than the trailer. Event Horizon had a good trailer but sucked hard. The Fifth Element had a great trailer and then Chris Tucker started talking and talking and talking and talking and the movie went steadily downhill for me. That ended up costing me a couple of chick flicks as pay back. :(

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2001, 01:39:25 PM
Actually I knew from the trailer that I didn't want to see the fifth Element the plot from the trailer just looked too confusing and I was right. I agree with Jonathan I can usually pick out a bad movie or good movie from the trailer. Usually my problem is in the trailers that don't show anything like Godzilla, which I couldn't tell if the movie would be bad or good. Also I have only seen the trailer and haven't yet seen any comericials but I would expect Disney to market it as the movie of the summer like the Grinch was marketed as the movie of Christmas, it just good marketing. If you had a huge movie wouldn't you want it to be shown that way. The only big movie that I can think of that didn't need that kind of marketing was TPM but of course it didn't need any advertising everybody knew it was coming out.

JonathanLB
Apr 12th, 2001, 08:11:37 PM
Yes, but TPM DID have advertising, it just wasn't paid advertising. Every major film needs advertising in some way, whether that is free publicity (the best kind!), word of mouth (well actually this is the best once a film is already out), and normal advertising by studios.

I'd like to commend Jedieb for providing an excellent example of a movie that sucked hard but had a great trailer. I too saw the trailer for Event Horizon and thought it looked very intruiging, like a winner, at least a 3 star film. I saw it and nearly walked out of the theater, it was that bad. It is my second least favorite movie of all-time, and I never will walk out on a film but I was so tempted with that one. When it ended, despite there only being about 25 people in the theater, some guys in front of us started clapping and yelled, "THANK GOD IT IS OVER!!! YES!!!" and everyone I heard was saying how much it sucked.

ReaperFett
Apr 12th, 2001, 09:47:53 PM
sometimesyou get your gut feeling. Snatch, Way of the Gun, Reservoir Dogsm Three Kings., Mystery Men. I knew Id love them, something about them.

Then there is the trailers like TPM, where it makes you despise the makers for trying to ruin the film, just for a 5 second sound

Darth23
Apr 12th, 2001, 10:01:59 PM
5 second sound?

you mean,

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ?

ReaperFett
Apr 12th, 2001, 10:05:59 PM
thats the one, the one that made you think 'who just died? Hmmmm, only Qui Gon is expendable and worthy of a cry from Obi, so it must be him!'

JonathanLB
Apr 12th, 2001, 11:44:36 PM
I never even thought about that. Both TPM trailers were excellent, not revealing too much at all, but really making you excited about the film.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 13th, 2001, 01:03:38 AM
Your Right Jon I didn't consider TPM's publicity as advertisement but I guess in a way it is. You brought up Event Horizon I can't remember what I thought about that trailer. I remember not really wanting to see it and waiting for it to come on video. I admit it wasn't a very good move movie but it looks like an oscar movie compared to more recent duds like Battlefield Earth, Bless the Child, Wild Wild West, and another Paul Anderson movie Solider. My problem with Event Horizon was it didn't know what genre it wanted to be in, it started out as a sci-fi film but then went into horror. Plus the story made no sense thorugh most of it. The only reason I watched it, was for the cast. I compare it The Mummy, another movie I didn't like, it didn't know what genre it was in either and had a terrible plot but this one had terrible actors (Brenden Fraiser cannot act). Speaking of the Mummy, I think its sequel is being marketed more than Pearl Harbor. I have seen its trailer a lot on TV and have seen a lot of adds for it. I just cringed when I saw that the Rock was going to be in it. Anytime you got a pro wrestler in a movie you got problems. I hope the Mummy 2 tanks, destroying that franchise.

JonathanLB
Apr 13th, 2001, 02:18:25 AM
I totally agree, I've never seen a TV ad for Pearl Harbor actually, guess I must not watch too much TV, but I've seen tons and tons of ads for The Mummy Returns.

I was not impressed by the first Mummy at all, though I gave it 2.5 stars because it was alright, and I enjoyed seeing it, sorta, but it was pretty damn stupid.

The dialogue was terrible, effects were good, but acting was really bad, and it just didn't interest me much.

Jedieb
Apr 13th, 2001, 01:24:28 PM
I completely understand Reaper's problem with the second TPM trialer. Obi-Wan shouts "NNNOOOOOOO!" and then a second later you see q quick clip of Qui-Gon. Basically, you know Qui-Gon is a dead man right then and there. At least that's what my gut reaction was when I saw it the first time; "He's dead Jim." Still, both the TPM trailers gave me goosebumps. Even the fan made trailer at TFN gets me going. You hear that familiar music and it just gets your blood pumping.

I received a commendation from Jonathan! I think I'm going to have it framed and matted! ;)

TristinJK
Apr 28th, 2001, 06:04:26 AM
I am a little new to this site but I have been around a few others....mostly the ASAP prop forum. I think the movie will be excellent. The trailers alone made chills go down my spine as to what it must have been like on that unfortunate date in our history. Although, even if it did not look appealing to me, I would see it anyways.......my grandfather was one of the many who did try to fight back and was lost that tragic day.

"boot to the head."

CMJ
May 25th, 2001, 11:53:23 PM
It got a critical drubbing but I'm wondering how people on the forum enjoyed it. I'll probably get a chance to see it over the weekend at some point, though I WILL be working(which is why I didn't see it today) most of the holiday.

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2001, 12:02:02 AM
I am going to see it tomorrow myself. The biggest problem I am going to have is its length. 3 hours is a tad long for a movie and it seems most of the critics agree there, but I won't know till tomorrow how much of it should have been cut out.

Figrin D an
May 26th, 2001, 01:00:41 AM
I just got back from 'Pearl Harbor' about an hour ago. I'm kind of tired, so I'll keep the review short...

If you are going to go see this film, don't expect a lot. That's the attitude I took into the film, and as a result I wasn't terribly disappointed.

The CGI is very well done... the wide shots of the destruction in the harbor are quite impressive.

The film attempts to follow the 'Titanic' formula... a love triangle set up with a dramatic historical disaster as a backdrop. So, if you enjoyed Titanic, you should at least like this film. (That's not to say that if you hated Titanic that you will hate Pearl Harbor. PH has other good qualities to it, especially if you are a WWII buff). The dialogue is cliched and drags at times, but it's bearable...

IMO, the best performance of the film is turned in by Alec Baldwin in a small, but important role of Colonel James Doolittle (if you don't know James Doolittle is, go read a history book... please.) The role was reasonably well written and Alec did a good job of showing the passion that the man had for flying. Jon Voight's interpretation of FDR is admirable, and other good performances are turned in by Cuba Gooding Jr., Kate Beckinsale and Tom Sizemore. Overall, the acting is okay... the actors/actressess do what they can with a somewhat lacking script.

It's kind of tough to give a final rating to this film, in terms of number of stars out of five... I'll need some time to think about it. For now, I'll just say that this is primarily an 'eye candy' movie. That's what I expected going in... that's what I got. The film could probably be about 25-30 minutes shorter and still be effective for what it is.... a popcorn movie. If you want a more historically accurate and solid piece of film-making on the subject, go to your local rental store and pick up 'Tora, Tora, Tora!'.

Darth23
May 26th, 2001, 01:07:43 AM
I have a question to anyone who sees it. What was the general audience reaction? Did peopel overall seem to enjoy it?

zoar
May 26th, 2001, 08:07:05 AM
Overall I think the audience enjoyed it. At the end everyone applauded. I think the romance aspect could have been worked better though; at times it was a little boreing. I thought Beckinsale was great though. Good looking too.

Figrin D an
May 26th, 2001, 10:13:26 AM
The audience at the showing I saw gave a pretty mixed response. Nobody applauded at the end. Throughout the movie, there was little audience reaction to anything... the first couple of dumb jokes got a mild response, then nothing really until a couple of Doolittle's lines late in the film. Most people probably enjoyed it, although I did hear several people make comments afterward about the length of the film and how it dragged at times...

flagg
May 26th, 2001, 04:25:48 PM
I think that Event Horizon is actually a pretty underrated film. The production design and special effects are great, and some of the scenes really freaked me out when I first saw it. The problems with the plot are probably due to the fact that the studio cut almost an hour out of the film before its release. I'd love to see the Director's Cut released on DVD.
Sorry, I don't have anything to say about Pear Harbor :)

Dutchy
May 26th, 2001, 05:56:50 PM
PH made $18.3M on Friday, which is not THAT spectacular really.

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2001, 06:46:00 PM
I just got back from it and I enjoyed it. It was a tad long, I wish they would have cut out about 30 minutes because it dragged at a few places but I thought it was a good movie I would give at least 3 stars. The best thing about the movie was the special effects the 45 minute attack on Pearl Harbor was amazing, especially the fact that it looked incredibly realistic. There were a few problems with the script mostly with the romance which wasn't tied in very well. But overall I thought it was a good to a very good movie. I had to disagree on audience reaction sure nobody clapped at the end but I myself never clapped at movies even when I saw TPM I did not clap. What would be the point? I understand why you would do it to actors on a stage but its not really like there is anybody there to appreciate the applause. Also there were some laughter on some jokes early in the movie the ones involving Ben Afflect hitting his nose. Besides that most of the audience seemed to enjoy it.

Darth23
May 26th, 2001, 08:57:57 PM
I was just wondering if anyone laughed at some of the dialogue. Or if people were chattering during the slower parts.

:p

JonathanLB
May 26th, 2001, 11:42:44 PM
There was no applause at the screening I attended either, but I loved the film. I'd give it four stars out of four, albeit a low four star rating.

Yes, there were some problems, but all minor I think. I would have cut the film down a bit and I think 3 hours is awfully long, but it was still very good.

I think the audiences enjoyed it, though. I watched people come out of the first showing and heard many positive remarks and at the screening I attended people seemed to enjoy it too, but it's hard to know.

I thought the acting was excellent, especially Alec Baldwin though. He was great.

"If you don't know James Doolittle is, go read a history book"

Everyone knows who Doolittle is. He is Doctor Doolittle, the dude that talks to animals. Right?! Haha, just kidding :)

I think the movie was pretty awesome and well done. Some movies try to make you feel emotional and it just pisses you off because it's so corny. I didn't think Pearl Harbor was like that. I realized the tragedy of the event and the pacing was good enough to make me feel bad for the people who lost their lives that day (and others...). I mean, I don't cry during movies, lol, but it wasn't poorly done like I thought Armageddon was.

Dutchy, $18.3 million isn't THAT impressive? Come on dude, the movie is three hours long and it only opened in 3,200 theaters! Now, if it were 2 hours long and opened in 3,600 theaters, I'd say, yah, for the hype, that's not that impressive.

Now, I don't think Pearl Harbor is going to break Lost World's record, doesn't look like it anyway, but it is WAY longer than the Lost World! There are fewer showtimes and, to me, looks like fewer screens than what you might expect.

At my theater, Mummy Returns has three screens, Shrek has three, but only TWO for Pearl Harbor despite its length. That doesn't make any sense. Then again, it's a Regal Cinema, what do you expect. Those stupid Regal morons.

Anyway, no $18.3 million isn't surprising given the hype for this film, but to say it's not impressive...? Come on.

Titanic's first weekend, now that is something that is distinctly NOT impressive! haha. TPM made that much in a single weekday and it took Titanic a whole frickin weekend! Pathetic!

Haha, just kidding. Titanic's strength was its durability, not its opening. I don't think Pearl Harbor will be that durable. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 27th, 2001, 12:15:11 AM
I agree Jonathan about Baldwin he did a terrific job one of his finest acting jobs he has done in a while. Another aspect of the film I liked was how they showed Japan's aspect of the attack. I thought that was very insightful of them to try and wonder why they made the attack, though I would have like to have seen them show how the Germans give there approval for the attack, but I guess then it would have been even longer. I also agree about the impact of the tragedy on the audience. I became quite sad at seeing all the soliders especially when the Arizona was sunk that's a moment that will stick with me.

JonathanLB
May 27th, 2001, 12:52:02 AM
Yeah, and I also think they did a good job building the tension before the attack. Instead of just showing planes come out of the sky and, WAM, everything is blown to pieces, it was much more serene at first.

For at least a few minutes you see the Japanese planes slowly approaching the island, then flying over peaceful settings (baseball field, houses, etc.) and the abruptness of the attack is evident through everyone's surprise. Nobody was sitting there, ready for the attack. They were all asleep or doing other things.

I thought it was a good movie, pretty gripping in many scenes. The action and effects were just awesome, though! I was blown away. ILM truly is fantastic.

Jedieb
May 27th, 2001, 11:10:11 AM
I don't know when I'll get to see it but I am curious as to how the Japanese side of things are going to be represented. It's a documented fact that many Japanese pilots disagreed with the nature of the attack. It went against their code of honor to attack an enemy without first declaring war. But like any soldier, you obey your orders and serve your country. I'm sure some Japanese soldiers felt the same way their superiors did and no qualms about the attack but it is interesting to note that some had reservations.

Jedi Master Carr
May 27th, 2001, 01:16:52 PM
I am not sure if they went into that very much Jedieb, I remember, they did show the pilots prepare for it asking their ancestors to give them courage. One interesting thing though was the way they showed how Admiral Yamamoto, played by Mako viewed the attack. It seemed the way he acted that he reservations about attacking the Pearl Harbor I have not studied much Japanesse history so I wondered, maybe somebody here knows what role General Tojo played in the attack and if he pressured Yamamoto into making it. They did show him in the movie but he had almost no lines. Still, it was Yamamoto who gave the reasons for the attack he said war was inevitable and that Japan would be out of oil in 18 months and they figured that the best way to beat the U.S would be to cripple the Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor. But toward the end of the movie when one of the admirals said that they had decimated the American troops. Yamamoto responded that he feared they had awakened a sleeping giant.
I found his response interesting, though if he ever said who knows I know very little about him, so maybe somebody could enlighten me with their knowledge. A second thing that I wondered about was after the second waive one of the generals asked the commander of the Japanesse fleet if they should send the third wave and he said no there is no longer surprise. I just wondered if that was true, but it did show that they weren't willing to kick us when we were down, although it was probably a major mistake because it could have been a lot worse.

Jedieb
May 27th, 2001, 02:32:07 PM
We, the US, we were quite "lucky". The attack could have been far more devasting. Our carriers were out at sea and the Japanese failed to hit the oil reserves located nearby. If they had destroyed the oil reserves then the US may have had to move all naval operations back to the mainland for lack of fuel. And the loss of the carriers would devastating. The US would really have been playing catch up. Although I think the outcome of the war in the Pacific was inevitable it would have taken us that much longer to win if we'd lost those 3 carriers in addition to the 9 battleships lost at Pearl Harbor. (I'm not positive about the numbers.)

Darth23
May 27th, 2001, 06:26:57 PM
. ...Our carriers were out at sea

Coincidence? ;)

Jedieb
May 27th, 2001, 08:46:17 PM
Oh good god let's not start that Pearl Harbor conspiracy crap! I don't mean to offend anyone but I just refuse to believe the theories that have been put forth over the years. I don't believe that Roosevelt and Stinson sacrificed over 2,000 men and 9 battleships just to give the US an excuse to enter the war. Blame poor communications, bad decision making, and/or an over blown sense of security, but I just will never believe that those men willingly threw away American lives and resources in such a manner.

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2001, 01:38:38 AM
I agree Jedieb those are stupid theories and there are still people out there today, nobody credible. Every major historian believes that Roosevelt knew nothing. It was a sneak attack besides I still believe Roosevelt could have found a better way to enter the war, he could have argued that Hitler was out to rule the world and he had to be stopped.

zoar
May 28th, 2001, 01:18:33 PM
I remember that same line at the end of “Tora Tora Tora” but it was “I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant with a dreadful resolve.”

Darth23
May 28th, 2001, 09:37:01 PM
Mayeb they didn't realize how bad the attack would be.

I don't really believe the Conspiracy Theories (about Pearl Harbor) either, but you never know.

Jedieb
May 28th, 2001, 10:24:27 PM
I hear what you're saying Darth23. Of course you can never "really" know, but some things you just have to take as a matter of faith. For me, that's one of them. Especially on a day like Memorial Day.

Darth23
May 28th, 2001, 10:30:20 PM
I never take anything dealing with the government on faith. ESPECIALLY on national holidays.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2001, 12:48:57 AM
To me its more than just a matter of faith, I have had several classes on WW II and in my last class that topic came up and the professor really destroyed it and brought in a lot of evidence to support his theory. To me that theory is as bad as the one about the Holocaust.

DaBoSsNaStY
May 29th, 2001, 02:01:31 AM
about people saying that the Holocaust never happened?

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2001, 05:40:50 PM
Yep that one.

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2001, 09:29:22 PM
haha, what kind of a sick f*** would say the Holocaust never happened?!?! What a bunch of perverts.

DaBoSsNaStY
May 29th, 2001, 09:55:32 PM
Indeed they are Jon, and then some. They are very sick, and misinformed assholes!

CMJ
May 30th, 2001, 05:52:39 PM
Alright just got back from the film. What do I say? I loved some things, liked others, and hated still others. Overall it was a good(not great by ANY stretch) fun, ride of a film. The opening 25 minutes or so were pretty crappy. The romance between Beckinsale and Affleck is not built up at all(you just see Affleck being a clumsy idiot). The other romance between Beckinsale and Hartnett is more believable and, even though it has some lame moments, works fairly nicely. The RAF stuff is pretty bad(some of the worst lines of dialogue I've evr heard are in these scenes). Cuba Gooding Jr.'s character is not only under used, they shy away from the racism that was prevalent at that time in the military(and nation at large). "You hit pretty good for a cook." Give me a break, we all know what that line SHOULD have been. The bombing sequence was simply outstanding until we get a couple of boys in the air and it turns into STAR WARS and PEARL HARBOR. That was a load of crap. The aftermath of the battle was the best part of the film. I teared up as I watched men drown when they couldn't get out of their ships. The hospital stuff was moving as well. The last 40 minutes or so were pretty much a waste. There is one great line though("Top Secret missions are the ones where you get medals, but they have to give them to your famalies). We got to see Baldwin WAY overact. The love triangle could have been wrapped up in the PH battle. Basically the filmmakers didn't want to end with an American defeat so threw together the Doolittle raid for us. Overall a pretty mixed bag. It could have been ALOT worse...but it could have been so much better. Overall I'd say 3 stars out of 4.

Dutchy
May 30th, 2001, 08:02:57 PM
Dutchy, $18.3 million isn't THAT impressive? Come on dude, the movie is three hours long and it only opened in 3,200 theaters!

I know, but it's not the kinda figure us boxoffice fans are looking for. :)

CMJ
May 31st, 2001, 09:02:20 AM
A fter a night of contemplation I think PH is more like a 2.5 star flick. I don't know if I can quite recommend it.

Dutchy I remember in '93 when JURASSIC PARK came out how huge that opening was. Now it seems that all sorts of films get that number(50.1M I believe) on a regular basis. Just for the record JP was the film that got me started watching the BO even though I was only 14 at the time. Man...has it been THAT long??