PDA

View Full Version : OT - How do you spend your SW time?

Jedieb
May 31st, 2001, 02:33:59 PM
I've been taking notice of just how vast the SW universe is getting. By the SW universe, I'm referring to those activities and pursuits that take up our time and involve SW. Everything from this forum to video games. There's just so many hobbies and activities that can involve SW that it's IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to be an expert in EVERYTHING SW. Anyone who tries is bound to go insane and fail hopelessly. So I was wondering, just how do you spend your SW time? Is it something you visit on a daily basis? Weekly? Monthly? I'd break my time down in the following manner:

DAILY
Toy Runs
Online Time (Rebelscum, Yakface, SWFANS.NET Forums)

WEEKLY (not daily but at least once a week)
Online Time (SWFANS.NET Forums, ForceNet, StarWars.Com,)

MONTHLY or BIMONTLY
Comics (SW Tales[quarterly], occasional SW title)
Insider

QUARTERLY
EU Literature (NJO Series, Prequel EU (Cloak of Deception, Rogue Planet, etc.)

YEARLY
Viewings (I'd say so far this year I've logged the following number of viewings;
ANH 3
ESB 1
ROTJ 1
TPM 2
The next time I'm stuck at home with a rainy day I'll probably pop in ESB. I'd say I watch each SW flick a handful of times each year, more during movie years.

Things I wish I had more time/money for;
Figure Customizing
Diorama Building
Web Site Figure Comics
Vintage Figures

So, how does everybody else spend their SW time?

foxdvd
May 31st, 2001, 03:52:39 PM
ask me the same question years ago my answer would close to yours..today..2 kids..one more on the way..work..so on..I have little time anymore. About the biggest thing I do now is spend a few hundred bucks on a signed Star Wars banner.

Jedi Master Kyle
May 31st, 2001, 04:32:45 PM
Daily:
Online time: SW Forums, websites (tf.n etc...)

Weekly:
At *least* one of the movies

Monthly:
Insider, toy run (even though I don't buy anymore, I just like to shop.)

Yearly:
If one is held, a SW convention, but no such luck this year. Or in 2000 for that matter.

Things I wish I had more time for:
More viewings of the movies.

Things I wish I had more money for:
Toys

Jedieb
May 31st, 2001, 07:27:32 PM
fox, I didn't know you had Padawan #3 on the way, congrats! We're trying to space ours 2-3 years apart. If they were any closer the little devils would drive us crazy! Most of what I do I try to on my way to and from work or after the kids have gone to bed. Once I get home the little ones monopolize my time. Although I had a lot of fun watching TPM over the Memorial Day weekend with my oldest son (2 1/2). Everytime he saw R2 on the TV screen he'd shout out "R2! R2!" And he wouldn't go to bed until I got him one of my R2 action figures. Lucky brat!

foxdvd
May 31st, 2001, 10:52:04 PM
My oldest has not watched any Star Wars yet, she only wants to watch Toy Story 1 or 2, or The Little Mermaid....

My wife and I are going to wait after this to have anymore.

JonathanLB
Jun 1st, 2001, 03:57:16 AM
Well, I do not know if you count this as Star Wars time, but mainly I have spent the last several years with my research and writing for my TPM book.

As a result, I've spent less time seeing the OT and even TPM recently. I want to change that now, but I consider that Star Wars time, still. It's work/hobby/fun, hehe.

buff jedi 2
Jun 1st, 2001, 09:30:54 AM
Oh most for sure daily Im still watching the TPM atleast once a day ,And when I reach my 600th veiwng(and im close) Ill let all of you know.I wish I had the money I had for the past few years ,because Id love to start buying more figures and start getting more Prop type things.I atleast wear a SW T once a week,and either wear a SW tie to court on thursdays or at church on sunday.

semibuffjedi/wookieboy

Doc Milo
Jun 1st, 2001, 02:59:31 PM
Here's mine:

Daily:
Online stuff: Forums--swfans and aol.

Weekly: Websites -- sw.com, tfn, etc...

Monthly: Insider etc...

Quarterly (or whenever they come out): SW EU novels. Don't read the comics.

When the urge hits: Toy shopping, diorama building (nothing too fancy on the diorama front, though.)

Yearly: Movie watching a few times a year.

Just recently watched ANH with my girlfriend's seven year old son. He'd never seen the OT before. (He's only seen TPM once.) So I'm getting him into the movies. We're going to watch ESB and RotJ this Sunday! He has no clue that Luke is Vader's son! I can't wait to see his face when he finds out!

JonathanLB
Jun 1st, 2001, 07:33:18 PM
You watch TPM every day?! How the hell do you have that much time? lol

buff jedi 2
Jun 1st, 2001, 08:55:05 PM
Well I was watching it on the avg of 3 times daily (to get to 500)faster but business has picked up so my time is cut short ,Im also watching Titanic a few times aweek as well. :) Ive come to relize you can NEVER watch TPM to much.
No life +self employment + no life = 587

semibuffjedi/wookieboy

Jedieb
Jun 2nd, 2001, 10:50:48 PM
Of course your book is SW time Jon. It's a pretty great way to spend your time as well.

Doc, I can't imagine what it must be like to watch somebody learn Vader's secret for the first time. You've got to tell us what his reaction is like!

Buff, I can't believe your copy of TPM is still in any condition to work!

buff jedi 2
Jun 2nd, 2001, 11:34:50 PM
Actually I have 3 tapes One is for the upstairs vcr(the wide screen) one is for the shop ,,the other is the bootleg copy I got. It normally gets used in the gym BUT since I havnt worked out for like 3 weeks its getting a rest :(

yeah Doc do let us know I think it would be awesome to see my kids (if I had any) learn about Vader for the first time :)

John ,when is your book due out? im sure you have said before But things seem to slip through my little mind .Would love to buy a copy.

semibuffjedi/wookieboy

Doc Milo
Jun 3rd, 2001, 04:40:42 PM
Things ran late, so we only watched ESB. We'll save RotJ for another day . . . the better to make him keep wondering if Vader is telling the truth . . .

But I don't think Vader lying has even crossed his mind. As he was watching the movie, he's sitting on the floor -- eventually turning to kneeling and rocking back and forth during the final battle, a cup of pink lemonade in his hand. He had just finished drinking it (good thing) when Vader said his famous: "No, I am your father . . ." He dropped the empty cup and turned around to look at me, his mouth hanging open and his eyes wide. He looked back to the screen and then back to me, now smiling. "How can his father cut off his hand!" he said.

What I find funny is that he knew that Anakin turned into Darth Vader, but never made the connection between Anakin and Luke. He might not have realized that they both had the last name. That tidbit might not have stuck in his mind, since it was a while since he saw TPM.

After the movie, the questions hit: "Who's his mother?" "Why doesn't he go with Vader?" "Luke's gonna have to kill his own father?" "But he used to be a good guy, right?" Of course, most of the answers to those questions were "You'll have to wait and see the next movie."

He then went off to play with his friend, who was watching with us. As they were playing, I hear him humming the Imperial March. During the movie he commented that he "loves that music!"

All in all, I'd say today's Star Wars time was well spent. :)

buff jedi 2
Jun 3rd, 2001, 09:36:15 PM
It dont get no better than that ,Does it DOC??I want a kid know Just for that reason :)

buffjedi/wookieboy

Jedieb
Jun 3rd, 2001, 11:41:12 PM
Those questions reminded me of the questions my friends and I had for each other when we saw each other at school after seeing ESB. We talked about it for months. What's next?! What's Luke going to do! We never even considered the possibility that Vader was lying. Which made Luke's question to Yoda; "Is Darth Vader really my father?", seem kind of pointless, but ROTJ delivered neverthelss. Those first days after Empire were something special. :)