PDA

View Full Version : anyone like the new Depeche Mode or Tool?

foxdvd
Jun 1st, 2001, 01:43:50 AM
I have had the Depeche Mode cd for over 2 months now, burned onto a cd from MP3’s that were converted to wave files, so I have had a long time to listen to it. (I did buy the cd when it came out….which I would have done if I hated it or loved it) It took longer then any other album of theirs to grow on me, with the possible exception of Music for the Masses (still my favorite album of theirs), but in the end another classic from Depeche Mode. It is the least radio-friendly album they have made in a long time, and the songs themselves move along very slow and dream like, but there are some real gems in there, and I am VERY happy with it.

Tool was just the opposite. It was VERY easy to get into, and was a blast from the first play. The album itself reminded me of Pink Floyd in that it is one that should be listened to from start to finish, and not out of order, but after about 10 times through the actual weakness of the album presented itself, keeping it from reaching the level of their last album, or anything Pink Floyd did up to Waters leaving. That weakness is arrogance. There is nothing wrong with a band loving itself. Heck, KMFDM has multiple songs using their band name and talking about how great they are, or mocking how they do that by blasting “KMFDM SUCKS!” but this new Tool album is much to serious. Very self indulgent, and maybe even a little condescending to its target audience. Maybe I am reading to much into it.

If I had to rate the two CDS...

Depeche Mode--- (A-)

Tool----- (B)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 1st, 2001, 09:05:27 AM
I've always hated Depeche Mode, but Tool is pretty cool. What a lame rhyme.

buff jedi 2
Jun 1st, 2001, 09:33:17 AM
Uh Uh UH you said TOOL!

semibuffjedi/wookieboy

Darth23
Jun 1st, 2001, 10:06:17 AM
Depeche Mode is still around?

:p

Tool's ok, I haven't really ever gotten into them though.

JonathanLB
Jun 2nd, 2001, 05:07:24 PM
Haven't ever heard of either one.

Jedieb
Jun 2nd, 2001, 10:43:43 PM
Depeche Mode, another child of the 80's still in our midst. I never really cared for them much the first time around so I'm not to excited about their new stuff. I stopped trying to keep up with every trend in music as soon as I started college. I just didn't have the time for it. Most of the music I buy today is from groups and performers I grew up with. Although occasionally I'll get into something new that really catches my fancy. Bare Naked Ladies is a good example. I love their stuff and I listen to it at work all the time. Aside from that, I don't get into "new" music all that much.

buff jedi 2
Jun 2nd, 2001, 11:39:58 PM
Yeah Ebs I (my opinion) think that todays music just doesnt compare to the 80's music.Although I was a bit young to really appriciate it at the time .I love the likes of Culture club,New kids ,MJ, and alittle G+R. depeche mode was pretty cool back then ,I might have to pick up there new cuts.

semibuffjedi/wookieboy

foxdvd
Jun 3rd, 2001, 12:05:57 AM
I love good music..do not care when it came from..but I find myself going for stuff from the late 60's to early 70's most of the time...

General Ceel
Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:55:13 PM
I'm into underground black/Goth/Death metal stuff. Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle Of Filth, Theatre of Tragedy, Nile, Tristania ect. Its were the real talent and creativity in music is today.

Darth23
Jun 4th, 2001, 12:35:48 AM
Too bad they can't think of better band names. ;)

I mean, Cradle of Filth?

foxdvd
Jun 4th, 2001, 01:37:07 AM
Opeth is really good...to me a lot like Pantera (one hockey season, my friends father had season passes to the Dallas Stars near front row, right behind where the band members from Pantera set..I got to talk to them a bit..they are so down to earth it freaks you out)...they are more gothic for sure, and I like their music more then anything Pantera has done outside the classic "Far Beyond Driven"...Anyone interested in hard music "My Arms Your Hearse" is a must have..

Dimmu Borgir--in fact I just got the cd Enthrone Darkness Triumphant...it is my first cd of theirs, and first time hearing them..and I got to say..WOW..what should I try next?

It is funny you joke about the name of Cradle Of Filth..because I am not a fan of theirs..I do not hate their stuff, and I will say I have not heard a lot..but what I have heard has not blown me away..I do hear it grows on you.

General Ceel
Jun 4th, 2001, 09:45:10 PM
If you want to listen to more Dimmu Borgir buy "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia", " Spiritual Black Dimensions", or "Godless Savage Garden"

Cradle of Filth is very deep music. If you are mainly a fan of mainstream music it might take you some time. Cradle Of Filth is like Classic Literature. You can't just take it at face value because there is alot more to it. You'll really start to like it after you've read about Elizabeth Bathory, historical Vampires, Lilith, and even some horror novels.

If you have not heard of Cradle Of Filth you will by 2002. They just signed a distribution deal with sony for their next full length studio album. COF has been around since the early 90's and have done a half dozen albums, for a black metal band with very little help from the media they are extremely popular. But now they will finally get the attention they deserve.

They also have an album due on this month in Europe and next month in North America. So once again COF is hard at work.

www.theorderofthedragon.com/main.htm (http://www.theorderofthedragon.com/main.htm)

pub21.ezboard.com/bcradleoffilthonline (http://pub21.ezboard.com/bcradleoffilthonline)

JonathanLB
Jun 5th, 2001, 04:39:34 AM
I heard the new Depeche Mode CD totally sucks. "Exciter" is the name, right? The Oregonian gave it a D and said it's terrible, and only hard-core fans will like it.

Is this true? What do other critics say?

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 5th, 2001, 09:03:10 AM
Maxim magazine also dissed it pretty hard, warning you to get prepared to be depressed after listening to Exciter. I haven't read a good review for it yet. Of course, I've only read like 3 reviews...

Darth23
Jun 5th, 2001, 11:53:32 AM
What would happen if Tool met Depeche mode in a dark alley?

>:^}

foxdvd
Jun 5th, 2001, 03:02:24 PM
yes..some people have not been happy with the new Depeche Mode..It is VERY dark...to dark for them, but I love it..and feel people that bash it just want another "Violator" which is not going to happen.

mrshowbiz gave it an average review..not bad,..saying it was good not great.

foxdvd
Jun 5th, 2001, 03:15:45 PM
I will say Rolling Stone mag. gave it 3.5 stars...here is the review..

"Depeche Mode should be horribly burnt out or split up by now: They lost their initial songwriter, Vince Clarke, after their 1981 debut; their principal musician, Alan Wilder, after their eighth album; and their sanity in 1995, when singer Dave Gahan became a heroin addict and attempted suicide. It's easy to forget that these Essex, England, unlikelies have been around as long as R.E.M., U2 and Duran Duran. But unlike those titan troupers, they never made an embarrassing album (live discs aside) and never became so huge that they overstayed their welcome. Even at the peak of their late-1980s teeny-bopper popularity, these quintessential synth-poppers somehow remained punk. Lingering in gorgeously melodic, genuine sadness, Gahan, Martin Gore and Andrew Fletcher still have the knack for turning a lifelong bummer into one big black celebration.
But even old reliables have their ups and downs, and Depeche Mode's tenth studio album ranks miraculously high. Produced by Bjork collaborator Mark Bell, Exciter glimmers like a gentle ambient doodle with vocals: The beats are mostly minimal, closer to early Kraftwerk than to current electronica. But because Gore's songwriting is so focused and Gahan's vocal presence is so commanding, the softest songs leap to the foreground like a whisper from a lover.

Although they integrate guitars and orchestrations with greater finesse, the skeletal arrangements leave Gahan no harmonic place to hide, no singalong choruses to coast. Lips pressed against the mike, the rehabbed frontman turns in his most physically intimate, emotionally masterful performances on unearthly ballads like "When the Body Speaks." Yet he also proves himself capable of summoning bygone sleaze on the album's hilariously sullied, sole industrial jam, "The Dead of Night." And on one of Gore's vocal cameos, "Breathe," his wounded choirboy tenor sounds grandly operatic in the Scott Walker lounge-troubadour tradition.

Recent landmark albums by kindred spirits Radiohead and Moby may have rejuvenated their white machine soul, but the Modesters have never kowtowed to trends. Exciter isn't nearly as catchy as hit-packed discs like 1987's Music for the Masses. But from the breathless a cappella opening of "Dream On" to the closing strains of "Goodnight Lovers," Exciter maintains an otherworldly mood and purity of purpose that today's angst-ridden rockers would trade their Jeff Buckley CDs to attain"