PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis vs Tomb Raider!

Darth23
Jun 11th, 2001, 11:54:46 AM
Looks like Hollywood wants to have some knock-down drag-out fights this year. Another week we're a probably Number 1 movie doesn't have a gaurantee.

Tomb Raider definitely has the edge, despite the Disney Hype Machine. One movie looks like a theme park ride and the other one looks like a whole theme park.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 11th, 2001, 12:56:08 PM
Tomb Raider will win probably it should do over 40 million, Atlantis will be second probably close to 30.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 11th, 2001, 04:25:45 PM
I was thinking that Tomb Raider will pull in about 30 and Atlantis around 25. There's still alot of movies out there that people are seeing that will prevent Raider and Atlantis from having a monster opening.

Darth23
Jun 11th, 2001, 04:53:36 PM
I don't think Swordfish and Evolution will hold up well under the pressure. Atlantis coudl be more competition for Shrek also.

QuiGonJ
Jun 12th, 2001, 12:15:39 PM
For what it's worth, I plan to see Tomb Raider Friday. :)

JonathanLB
Jun 13th, 2001, 04:46:40 AM
Yup, same.

I think Tomb Raider opens with about $41 million, hehe.

Atlantis makes $24 million.

Dutchy
Jun 14th, 2001, 06:26:50 PM
Tomb Raider: $53M
Atlantis: $38M

zoar
Jun 15th, 2001, 08:06:05 AM
I think Tomb Raider will tank. Read the showbiz article

www.showbizdata.com/conta...m?id=26456 (http://www.showbizdata.com/contacts/picknews.cfm?id=26456)

zoar
Jun 15th, 2001, 08:10:19 AM
What kind of crap is this. I post the link to the article and when I test it it goes to a password protected page. Anyway here is a link to their main page you can scroll down to find the link to the story

www.showbizdata.com/ (http://www.showbizdata.com/)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 15th, 2001, 11:33:37 AM
I think Tomb Raider won't tank this weekend it might drop really fast but it will make at least 40 this weekend but it might get such bad word of mouth and not make it to 150. By the way does anybody know what comes out next weekend?

CMJ
Jun 15th, 2001, 03:31:00 PM
TOMB RAIDER was pretty bad. My audience didn't seem to dig it either....I think it's gonna sink like a rock next weekend.

JonathanLB
Jun 15th, 2001, 06:24:07 PM
Tomb Raider definitely will not tank this weekend. I'll clear $40 million without a problem, but yeah it'll fall hard next weekend. These types of movies always do, regardless of whether it is enjoyable or not. I see a fall of 45% or so in the second weekend probably.

I'm still sticking with my $41 and $24 predictions. BO Guru said Atlantis is tracking better than Mulan, but not as good as Tarzan. I think it won't do much more than $24 million. Dutchy, your prediction is well better than Tarzan and for a movie that isn't tracking at all as well, that seems high. It'll be lucky to clear $25 million, let alone $35.

Agent Rex
Jun 15th, 2001, 11:18:58 PM
<font color="green">I Believe Tomb raider will take over de no#1 spot dis week. That movie looks awesome I can't wait to see it tomorrow >D </font>

JonathanLB
Jun 16th, 2001, 02:12:15 AM
Tomb Raider was awesome! I loved it.

I mean, what did you expect, Shakespeare meets The Matrix meets L.A. Confidential or something? Man that movie was tight, though.

It had great action scenes and the plot was interesting enough for me anyway. I thought it was a sweet movie! I want to go see it again for sure.

Angelina Jolie is so hot.

I mean, there are different types of movies here, that is what I don't think critics understand. They think there are good films and bad ones, but I think there are movies that are meant to be fun, entertaining, exhilerating even, and then movies that are meant to be profound, thought-provoking, and mentally engaging.

Memento was the best movie I saw this entire year so far and it was an indie film, so I guess my point is: I don't just enjoy blockbuster action films, but hey, I love having fun at the movies and Tomb Raider was just great fun. When you're looking for something more intellectual, Memento or something along those lines is great.

CMJ
Jun 16th, 2001, 10:28:14 AM
So you saw it too Jon?? That movie really kicked ass!

Now back to TOMB RAIDER. Hey I like popcorn movies if they're done well. I just didn't find ANYTHING engaging about this one. I didn't even really like any of the action sequences. Overall pretty damn dissapointing. If you wanna see an archaeologist film from this year that's ALSO a popcorn flick MUMMY RETURNS is a much better choice(I actauuly really dug MR for what it was).

sirdizzy
Jun 16th, 2001, 10:36:57 AM
i thought it was awesome as hell, i am goign to go see it aagin tommorow

it was an action packed blast with a fair story and a hottie to look at what more can ya ask for

ReaperFett
Jun 16th, 2001, 11:03:30 AM
comes out here on the 4th. Im away the 2nd till the 16th. DOH!

Will see it though:)

JonathanLB
Jun 16th, 2001, 04:48:29 PM
I agree with Sirdizzy! I loved Tomb Raider. Mummy Returns was about a three star film, low three star, almost 2.5, but I'd give Tomb Raider 3.5 stars. I thought it was an excellently done action movie. Probably not quite as good as Swordfish, though, because that movie had a better plot.

Still, Tomb Raider was so cool, I want to go see it again badly. The opening sequence was sweet.

You know, back to the title of this thread here, this was a VERY, VERY anticlimactic battle here.

Tomb Raider kicked Atlantis's butt! Furthermore, Disney is really going to get nailed by DreamWorks this summer as far as animation. Looks like Atlantis will have trouble making 1/3 as much as Shrek, heck, it hardly beat it Friday! Shrek has been out forever and it made half as much Friday as Atlantis.

aStanze
Jun 17th, 2001, 06:37:24 AM
I saw Tomb Raiders today and I LOVED IT!....I thought it was well thought out, loved Angelina Jolie, the plot was interesting, the action was breath taking, the props and guns used were awesome and the movie left me wanting more of Lara Croft and Angelina Jolie. who is the perfect choice for the role! My wife thought is was good but didn't like it as much as I did, she thought the plot was difficult to understand, but I didn't have any problems explaining stuff to her to figure it out. I may go see Tomb Raiders in the theatre again! I was highly entertained...no must catch all the hidden things I missed the first time.

Cheeers!:)
-Stanze

JonathanLB
Jun 17th, 2001, 07:06:05 AM
Phew, glad to know I'm not the only one. I saw it for the second time on Saturday. It was still good :)

There are some lines I would have redone, though. It needed another script rewrite, but that didn't distract me too much from the film. It was still ok. Angelina Jolie was great and the movie was very good, I thought.

aStanze
Jun 17th, 2001, 04:52:12 PM
Looks like Tomb Raider kicked Atlantis's Butt on opening weekend!:)
news.iwon.com/home/entertainment/entertain_article/0,2084,38510|entertainment|06-17-2001::15:07|reuters,00.html (http://news.iwon.com/home/entertainment/entertain_article/0,2084,38510|entertainment|06-17-2001::15:07|reuters,00.html)

-Stanze:)