PDA

View Full Version : Evolution vs. Swordfish!

Darth23
May 29th, 2001, 11:07:39 AM
Will we finally have a battle this summer?

I'm leaning towards Evolution - both in terms of quality (relative to the other two) and Box Office performance. There's just somethign about the way John Travolta plays bad guys that irritates me. (excluding Pulp Fiction)

Jedieb
May 29th, 2001, 01:17:26 PM
I thought he made a decent bad guy in Broken Arrow. Although asking an audience to believe that Christian slater can kick John Travolta's butt is downright silly. That would be the equivalent of me wiping the floor with Buff in an UFC showdown! ;)

Darth23
May 29th, 2001, 01:58:38 PM
Christian Slater can kick his ass using attitude alone. ;)

Travolta's Broken Arrow bad guy kind of annoyed me, he was to happy at all the wrong times. Travolta seems to just play him over and over.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2001, 05:50:38 PM
I would take Swordfish right now, Evolution just looks stupid to me from the previews. There is nobody good in the cast I care about and David Duchovny's track record has not been good. I can't name one film besides X-Files than even made any money, heck I can't even name one off hand. I know Ivan Reitman is directing it but lately his films have stunk, he hasn't done a good film in at least 5 years.

ReaperFett
May 29th, 2001, 05:55:18 PM
Vinnie, Travolta, guns, Travolta with two guns...

Gotta be Swordfish:)

Jedi Master Kyle
May 29th, 2001, 06:22:29 PM
Ok, you guys are talking about Travolta with a gun, 2 guns, but you're forgetting the OBVIOUS. Halle Berry topless.

Thank you.

:)

Force Master Hunter
May 29th, 2001, 06:43:02 PM
Travolta sucks anyway.

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2001, 09:27:29 PM
Travolta is awesome!

Swordfish is going to be sweet, but so is Evolution. I can't wait to see them both. I think Swordfish will probably win, though.

Travolta was a great bad guy in Broken Arrow, but the casting director did a terrible job because that little wuss Slater did not convince me he could beat anyone, let alone Travolta. I was rooting for the villain the entire movie, so that's a failure of the casting department, Slater, and the director to a degree, but I'm not going to blame the director in this case!!!

Travolta was just a great villian; too good for his own good, hehe.

CMJ
May 30th, 2001, 03:21:08 AM
I actually think MOULIN ROUGE has a chance to beat both of them. I'm not saying it will....though it very well might.

JonathanLB
May 30th, 2001, 04:49:43 AM
Umm...no.

That movie is going to be so lame. Maybe Kidman will be hot in it, though, she looks hot. :) Even though she's older than my normal celebrity type, she's still hot.

Darth23
May 30th, 2001, 06:54:07 AM
Speaking of track records, has anyonr checked Travolta's lately?

;)

Force Master Hunter
May 30th, 2001, 07:54:04 AM
Travolta sucks. Broken Arrow was boring and I have no doubt whatever he's in now sucks as well. Wasnt like his last movie was any good, was it?

Moulin Rogue .... I dunno. It's a critical success and it's done like $90,000 per theatre in the two theatres it's in. It might show if a Musical can work or not. This movie will be a lot like Crouching Tiger and need some damn good word of mouth to really go off.

Darth23
May 30th, 2001, 08:20:23 AM
t might show if a Musical can work or not

Don't you mean 'if a Musical can-can work'? :p

So MTV did a special hype thing on it last Friday. I was expecting a big Pearl Harbor hype-fest, but they were doing a Moulin Roughe thing instead. I guess thsi is the year for musical anachronisms in movies.

Force Master Hunter
May 30th, 2001, 08:24:28 AM
FORCE FRYING PAN!!!

CLANG!!!!

:: As Darth23 sinks to the ground, FMH shakes his head at what had to be a most terrible joke::

:P

Darth23
May 30th, 2001, 11:31:04 AM
:: As he passes out, Darth23 slowly chuckles to himself as he realizes FMH has revealed his True Identity.::

:p

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2001, 02:40:16 PM
Moulin Rouge comes out Friday but I am certain it will fail, musicals are basically dead. I remember a few years ago when Evita came out people claimed it would be a hit, critics loved it and it did well in limited release. When it went wide it flopped and made no money, I think Moulin Rouge will follow Evita down the drain.

ReaperFett
May 30th, 2001, 02:48:03 PM
Pulp Fiction
Broken Arrow
Face/Off
Phenonenon
Mad City
Get Shorty

Every one has had a great Travolta performance for my money. Id rather him than most

Jedi Master Kyle
May 30th, 2001, 03:30:48 PM
Battlefield Earth ruins all of that.

joking, I think travolta is cool too. :)

Jedieb
May 31st, 2001, 09:28:23 AM
If I had to choose between the 3 (Evolution, Swordfish, & Moulin Rouge) I'd probably rank them in this order;
1. MR
2. E
3. S
Musicals are dead but this one looks as if it has some stunning visuals and the cast looks great. It looks like the best date movie of the 3. (Damn Jon, what Logan's Run world do you live in where Nicole Kidman is an "old" celebrity?) Swordfish and Evolution are neck and neck for me. I think Duchovny can be hilarious and the previews look entertaining, not earth shattering, but entertaining. Plus, my wife is a big Julian Moore fan. Swordfish has a strong cast as well with Hugh Jackman backing up Travolta. But it comes across as a pretty incredulous action movie, something along the lines of Speed and Face Off. I just don't think I'd miss much if I caught Swordfish on HBO. Moulin Rouge and Evolution look like the kind of films you WANT to see on the big screen. MR looks like it has some stunning visuals.

CMJ
May 31st, 2001, 09:45:19 AM
I thought MR was up against these 2. I think Evolution will probably come out on top. As far as MR goes I think it will have a pretty good opening and play for awhile. From what I've seen of it, it looks like they have lightning in a bottle.

Jedieb
May 31st, 2001, 12:18:11 PM
I noticed in today's paper that MR is opening this weekend. I won't be able to go to the movies until the weekend of the 9th so all 3 will be going up against each other for me. I'll stick with the order I came up with.

Jedi Master Kyle
May 31st, 2001, 04:45:08 PM
Just to be different:
Swordfish
Moulin Rouge
Evolution

But none of these 3 will spank the other.

Qui Gon Gin
Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:11:58 PM
Swordfish was filmed in my town (I think) and whenever I saw a jet, I'd pretend to shoot at it and shout
"Travolta!" BLAM! "That's for "Battlefield Earth" BLAM! "That's for Look Who's Talking Too!" BLAM! "That's for Look Who's Talking Now!"

Darth23
Jun 5th, 2001, 11:49:56 AM
I'm starting to rethink my bullish attitude towards Evolution. I'm not sure if all the Matrix name dropping that Swordfish is doing is going to help too much.

Maybe ONE of these movies will be good.

buff jedi 2
Jun 5th, 2001, 05:27:40 PM
LOL!!! I finally saw your first post on this topic :lol:
(remember ive been out of the gym for about A month now)so im some what whimpy at the moment :(

any way Im looking forward to the Travolta movie .Halle Berry does A topless scene WHOOOOO BABBBBYYYY!!!!! So sword fish wil get my 7 bucks.

semibuffjedi/wookieboy

Jedieb
Jun 8th, 2001, 09:54:09 PM
A whole month! YES!!!! I might actually have a chance!
UFC!UFC!UFC!UFC!UFC!UFC!UFC!UFC!UFC!UFC!UFC!

buff jedi 2
Jun 8th, 2001, 10:34:26 PM
ROTLMAO!!!!!!!!!

I dont know Ebs , I have a feeling even if I hadnt been out of the gym for a month , that you'd be some stiff competition.Its always the low key guys you have to watch out for.

semibuffjedi/wookieboy

JonathanLB
Jun 9th, 2001, 06:37:35 AM
I saw them both opening day.

I enjoyed them both a good deal. This summer is actually turning out very good so far, I think.

Swordfish was definitely the better movie. I thought the plot was interesting and the action was just awesome! Awesome. It was a sweet movie. I'd give it 3.5 stars and Evolution 3 stars. Both films were well worth seeing, though. DreamWorks, hopefully, has another hit on their hands with Evolution. Looks like it anyway.

Darth23
Jun 9th, 2001, 02:50:48 PM
Thanx for the report, Jon.

CMJ
Jun 18th, 2001, 08:22:52 PM
I saw this flick today(finally...I'd been meaning to since it came out). I was thoroughly entertained. I thought the cast were all great....the script was hilarious.....the f/x were good. Hell it was the PERFECT summer popcorn film. It's not the best film of the year(or the summer for that matter SHREK has the summer film title and MEMENTO has film of year title); BUT it's exactly the kind of fun ride you expect in a summer film. Sure it resembles GHOSTBUSTERS...but since that's one of my all-time favorite comedies it didn't bother me very much.