PDA

View Full Version : Summer 2001 - The summer of missed opportunity?

Force Master Hunter
Jul 2nd, 2001, 06:23:02 AM
I just have this thought that the recent releases of movies that have been anticipated and yet miss the mark. It seems to me we have movies that could have done a lot better

1) Pearl Harbour - if it was any decent (apart from the 40 minute attack, that was pretty good) it could have been much, much bigger. it wouldnt have taken much, yet we go this abysmal love story for most of it. Blech. It Could have been sooooo much better.

2) Dr Doolittle 2 - That could have been a LOT better.

3) AI - Appears to be a lost oportunity there too. I will have to see it before commenting further.

4) tomb Raider - Dont get me started on this POS. But it's also clear with some minor work it could have been much better too.

The only movie I have liked this year has been Shrek. Man I have been soooooo disappointed by everything else. Even more disappointed cause the other moives could have been better.

Darth23
Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:25:49 AM
I'm sure the Mummy Returns could have been better - if only by replacing that embarrasing looking Rock- Scorpion King effect. There were parts of that movie that I thought were actually GOOD, mostly the flashback stuff. Overall I wasn't that impressed with it.

A Knight's Tale took the interesting idea of mixing modern pop culture elements with medieval jousting and did absolutely nothing with it.

Jedieb
Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:02:10 AM
FMH, You've got to STOP spelling Pearl Harbor with a U!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 2nd, 2001, 01:40:06 PM
AI I wouldn't count it is not a typical summer film, it probably should have been released in the fall because it seems more like an oscar type film than a popcorn film and that is why its box office doesn't look that good to some. Still, this summer is way better than last year which had a terrible list of films and except for few most of them were terrible. Plus we still have a few more big movies on the horizon, JP 3, Planet of the Apes, The Score, Rush Hour 2, and Osmosis Jones all of which will make a dent in the box office.

General Ceel
Jul 2nd, 2001, 01:50:55 PM
All the movies this year can suck if they want. But LORT will make up for it in Dec.

JonathanLB
Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:29:17 PM
I totally disagree! This summer is a GREAT summer for movies with tons of good films left to see still.

Tomb Raider was awesome and I saw it twice already. I'm seeing AI for the second time today, in about 1 hour and 20 minutes to be exact. I liked A Knight's Tale, too, not a great film but definitely entertaining and enjoyable. I thought Mummy Returns was at least better than the first one, but I agree with what Darth said (talk about a cheesy looking effect).

Pearl HARBOR (no frickin U!!!!) performed below expectations at the box office, especially given its massive cost, but I loved the movie and would give it 3.5 / 4 stars. Probably 4. I thought it was excellent, but too long in parts, so that's where it loses some of its rating. I've been happy with basically everything this summer, 'cept I didn't see Dr. Doolittle 2.

I cannot wait for some of the other summer movies like Planet of the Apes, Windtalkers, Rush Hour 2, and Jurassic Park III.

Darth23
Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:29:32 PM
Last summer had Gladiator, X-men and Chicken Run - so I didn't think it was horrible.

I passed on the whole MI2, Patriot, Perfect Storm thing. (though some people liked those movies)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:40:39 PM
From what I've seen this year, on the whole I've been largely unimpressed. Not to say that I wasn't somewhat entertained by Pearl Harbor, Swordfish or Tomb Raider, but I was hoping the 3 of them would be a little better. But I really liked The Fast and the Furious, that's my favorite so far this summer. I'm looking forward to seeing A.I. and a couple others. Maybe I'll start lowering my expectations a little.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 2nd, 2001, 07:29:02 PM
But that was it the rest of the films this summer plus the box office was way off previous summers. This year just seems a lot of better so far plus the end of july and August has a lot of good films more than you could say for last summer. To me X-men was the last really good film of the summer and that came out in mid july we got at least four films that I think will be better than anything else we had from that same time frame.

Force Master Hunter
Jul 2nd, 2001, 07:40:44 PM
Look you Americans... Harbour is spelt with a "U". So MNEH!

Jedieb
Jul 2nd, 2001, 08:48:23 PM
Yes, but since it's a location in an AMERICAN STATE, spell it the way it's SUPPOSED to be spelled! I wouldn't change the spelling of the British Isles just to suit my fancy so give us a break. If the Brits had been able to put up a better fight at Yorktown it may well have ended up being spelled a U. But we kicked British butt! :P
;) ;) ;) ;)
MTFBWY

Force Master Hunter
Jul 2nd, 2001, 09:48:55 PM
i AM spelling it the way it's supposed to be spelt! Even the spell checker says it's the way it's spelt!

RHJediKnight
Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:40:07 PM
Spelled, not spelt. :p

JonathanLB
Jul 3rd, 2001, 12:08:43 AM
Yeah it's SPELLED, hello. The spell checker? What?!

It's HARBOR. You don't move your mouth in a weird way and say, "HARBOAOAOAUUAOR" or something. It's just Harbor.

Since that is an American place, it's not subject to the poor spelling of the British. ;)

lol, that was pretty funny Jedieb.

Wow, Fast and the Furious best movie of the summer so far? Hmm...definitely don't think so. I enjoyed it thoroughly but I guess it would be one of my least favorite films. I still gave it a solid three stars, though, I thought it was good.

I loved Swordfish, better than I expected actually (I was worried it'd have a reall lame plot but I knew it would have good action; instead it had both). Tomb Raider was about as I expected, maybe a little cooler, but it was about on course and I'd give it 3.5, same with Swordfish. I loved Pearl Harbor, loved Shrek, loved AI (just saw it for the second time today), and The Fast and the Furious was still good. I really like Vin Diesel and nice cars are sweet, so what's not to like, hehe.

I think it's been a good summer. Now I can't wait for Kiss of the Dragon and I want to see Scary Movie 2 Wednesday also.

swooshdark
Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:12:27 AM
This summer is *weak*, even the standard fare "gross out" teen comedies seem to be following the old standard (Scary Movie 2, American Pie 2). The blockbusters have underdelivered IMO.

The Mummy Returns wasn't quite as charming as the original and delved into the territory of stupidity a bit too many times for my tastes (and I even liked the first one).

Tomb Raider was alright (barely), but nothing you'll honestly remember two months after its out (stack it next to Charlie's Angels). Pearl Harbor, was a let down as well. Swordfish was crap.

Early reviews on Final Fantasy The Movie seem skewed towards the negative or just out right bad.

A.I. I was fairly impressed with, but it did admittedly seem to meander at times and got a bit wishy washy towards the end.

I hope The Lord of the Rings does make up for an unusually weak summer. There's also Planet of the Apes, but given all the dissapointments so far, I'm not expecting much.

This summer reminds me of the summer before The Phantom Menace came out, when you had Godzilla sink at the box office, Armageddon do solid business, and Something About Mary become a surprise huge hit (similar I guess in a way to Shrek) and really become the story of the summer.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:37:47 AM
First off this summer will beat last summer easily (it would be pretty hard not to) I think this summer has already above what last summer made to this point plus there are still three major films to come that I think will all be huge.
Jurassic Park 3 will easily make 150, IMO, it could break 200 if its better than the last one.
Planet of the Apes this one and JP3 will be dukeing it out there at the end of the money like JP3 it very well may take in 150 but if it sucks which is possible it will bomb quick.
Rush Hour 2: This movie looks very funny, the first one was great and I think the second one will make even more money might come close to 200

another possibiltiy is Osmosis Jones the new Farrely Brothers' movie staring Bill Murry. I know part of the film is animated and it has to do with a white blood cell voiced by Chris Rock fighting a virus voiced by Laurence Fishburne. It sounds interesting but I haven't seen a trailer yet but I read on IMDB that it is going to be a PG? movie. Now that is a first for them, no poop joke or swearing, now will it be funny?