PDA

View Full Version : Thursday's number

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 6th, 2001, 08:43:14 PM
Here are Thursday's numbers if anybody is interested. as I would expect every film took a hit with Cats and Dogs taking the largest.
1 Scary Movie 2 $5,262,629
2 Cats and Dogs $5,025,478
3 A.I.: Artificial Intelligence $2,885,571
4 The Fast and the Furious $2,450,685
5 Dr. Dolittle 2 $2,006,686

JonathanLB
Jul 7th, 2001, 12:32:30 AM
haha, Shrek passed Atlantis. That's pretty funny.

That movie has had a pretty embarrassing performance for a Disney animated movie.

Looks like I was wrong about Shrek, though, it'll far exceed $240 million. It should pass $250 million.

Aren't they planning on the IMAX release of Shrek still too? How does that factor into box office grosses? DreamWorks made a deal with IMAX for Shrek that should give it playing time in the fall, or what's what I understand anyway.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 7th, 2001, 01:04:49 AM
I thought they were closing all the IMAX theaters unless it was just one company was closing them I can't remember excatly. Actually I don't think Shrek will pass 250 much like Toy Story 2 didn't. Its 17 million behind and I am sure its losing screens fast now. And its going to be worse the next two weeks. The Score, Final Fantasy, and Legally Blonde, then the 18 its JP3 followed by American sweathearts the 20th. Thats five new movies in two weeks obviosly that means they will have to push older films like Shrek and Pearl Harbor out of the theaters to accomidate. Heck I think my movie theater might have pulled Shrek today if I am not mistake in favor of Kiss of the Dragon. Sure, I think it will pass 240 but it will probably most likely make it to 245-248. Which is still good. Now will it be #1 who knows there are still three huge movies left JP3, Planet of the Apes and Rush Hour 2(which looks funner than the first one) all of which could pull it off but will they who knows there are a lot of factors that will have to played out before that even can be answered

foxdvd
Jul 7th, 2001, 02:07:42 AM
unless DW pulls Shrek, it does 250 million easy..heck, with about a 30 percent drop this weekend, it will stand at 240 million..during the week it will pull from monday to thursday another easy 3.6-4 million...so going into the next weekend it will be at 243-245 million...and this is with it slowly being pulled out of theaters...another 40 percent drop will put it 246-249...and it still has dollar theaters which put in another 5-10 million...the only thing keeping it from passing 250..is if it is pulled early and then brought back later in the year, when it will blow past 250 easy.

foxdvd
Jul 7th, 2001, 02:11:48 AM
I would guess they do add Imax ticket sales to the numbers, but I am not sure on that.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 7th, 2001, 03:39:32 AM
Do dollar theaters still exits :p Just kidding its just there are none in my area any more the last one in this area closed a year ago and they are becoming rarer to find. So I doubt it will do that well there. Really its going to depend on screens and how much interest there is still in the movie. The same thing happened to Toy Story 2 it had made 230 and then it died fast. If the same thing happens to Shrek I guess we will have to wait and see.

DaBoSsNaStY
Jul 7th, 2001, 05:03:37 AM
here is a place to find info. and numbers for the IMAX...

www.the-numbers.com/ (http://www.the-numbers.com/)

foxdvd
Jul 7th, 2001, 01:09:50 PM
the numbers I put up...in fact they could be even higher...it could be at 242 or so after this weekend even..

JonathanLB
Jul 7th, 2001, 09:28:44 PM
Rush Hour 2 could never make more than Shrek so don't even suggest that. That's absolutely absurd. It doesn't have that broad kind of appeal, even though it will be a sweet movie I think, it will probably make $140 to $160 million and that'll be that, if it is really good. If not, it won't make more than $110 million.

Furthermore, your analogy with Toy Story 2 doesn't work because, despite its great reviews and awesome opening, the film had very, very average staying power. Look at the numbers and you can see for yourself. It didn't have good staying power at all. It had average staying power. Shrek has shown great staying power thus far, nothing like TPM, but still very good.

Toy Story had good staying power, Toy Story 2 did not, but it did have a strong enough opening that even with average staying power it made a ton of money.

If Toy Story 2 had stronger staying power more like TPM, it could have made $400 million probably, but it definitely wouldn't have had any problems clearing $300. Instead, it couldn't even do that. Obviously it was a huge hit even still.