PDA

View Full Version : Cats & Dogs vs Scary Movie 2 vs Kiss of the Dragon.

Darth23
Jul 5th, 2001, 07:11:10 PM
Cats and Dogs wins the first round. :-) So that was like 5 days for AI at number 1?

Shrek is STILL doing well. It was number 5 on Tuesday.

Wednesday July 4
1 Cats and Dogs - 9,023,454
2 Scary Movie 2 - 8,750,158
3 A.I.: Artificial Intelligence - 5,160,477
4 Dr. Dolittle 2 - 2,855,327
5 The Fast and the Furious - 2,641,310
6 Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - 2,153,010
7 Shrek - 2,128,586
8 Atlantis: The Lost Empire - 1,663,528

Dutchy
Jul 5th, 2001, 07:14:30 PM
Where are those numbers from?

Aside from number 1 and 2 they're totally different than ShowBIZ Data's numbers:

www.showbizdata.com/conta...ilybox.cfm (http://www.showbizdata.com/contacts/dailybox.cfm)

Darth23
Jul 5th, 2001, 07:19:03 PM
movies.yahoo.com/hv/boxof.../rank.html (http://movies.yahoo.com/hv/boxoffice-daily/today/rank.html)

Hmm. Given Showbizdata's history of screwing up over the holidays, I'd have to go with the Yahoo numbers.

Of course, who knows which numbers are the real ones.

:p

Force Master Hunter
Jul 5th, 2001, 07:31:31 PM
Shitz, thats quite an opening for Cats and Dogs!

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 5th, 2001, 07:33:51 PM
Will Cats and Dogs hold up? Considering Scary Movie's target audience were all out partying on the fourth, I think Scary Movie will beat it for the weekend. I must also say AI has done pretty good the last two days taking in around 9 million I think it will have a low drop maybe 20%. I guess we will have to wait and see what today's numbers were.

Jedieb
Jul 5th, 2001, 09:01:10 PM
I think Cats and Dogs looks like it would be pretty funny and a great family movie. As the owner of a diabolical cat named Toonces I'm anxious to see the feeble attempts of the pitifully stupid dogs to stop the inevitable; CAT DOMINATION OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid Dogs... :P

If I could see anything I wanted this weekend I'd see the following and in this order:
1. Cats and Dogs
2. Jet Li Movie
3. Scary Movie (I missed the first one but the commercial is pretty funny. "Polly wants your mamma's sweet .....")

Darth23
Jul 6th, 2001, 09:01:37 AM
Well since I'm going to be carless this weekend I might end up spending a long time at the mall watching a few movies. I'd probably check otu Momento (if it's still there), A.I., Evolution and / or Kiss of the Dragon, in that order.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 6th, 2001, 09:15:34 AM
Kiss of the Dragon and A.I. are the orders of the weekend for me.

Darth23
Jul 7th, 2001, 01:17:56 PM
Scary Movie beat Cats and Dogs on Friday - not by much though.

I think Cats will still win the weekend. it will do better than SM2 on Sunday, and I think SM2 won't increase as much on Saturday.

JonathanLB
Jul 7th, 2001, 04:44:37 PM
Could those possibly be the real numbers? I mean seriously, so much for the $40 million opening for Scary Movie 2. What the HELL? What is the deal with that. KOD hardly made anything and no movie did well whatsoever except possibly Shrek which doesn't look like it fell all that much, considering it's ahead of Atlantis now by a good percentage margin.

??? Weird!

Darth23
Jul 7th, 2001, 04:49:47 PM
Scary Movie already had 2 days to get some business from fans of the first who wanted to see it right away - plus I suspect that some of the demo (young males) that SM2 appeals to also wants to see Kiss of the Dragon, which just opened.

Darth23
Jul 7th, 2001, 05:10:04 PM
Fridays Numbers: (according to showbizdata.com)

1 SCARY MOVIE 2 - 7,322,000
2 CATS AND DOGS - 6,730,000
3 KISS OF THE DRAGON - 4,795,500
4 A.I. &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp - 4,476,500
5 FAST AND THE FURIOUS - 4,034,500
6 DOCTOR DOLITTLE 2 - 3,029,000
7 TOMB RAIDER - 1,973,000
8 SHREK - 1,751,000
9 BABY BOY - 1,463,500
10 ATLANTIS: THE LOST EMPIRE - 1,446,500

JonathanLB
Jul 7th, 2001, 06:11:48 PM
Yeah but I would have thought Scary Movie 2 would make another $12 million at least Friday, then $8 or $9 million for Kiss of the Dragon. The theater here was pretty much full at the 5:10 showing, even. Dang.

I really wanted to see KOD do well because Jet Li rocks.

DaBoSsNaStY
Jul 7th, 2001, 07:02:53 PM
I am sure it would have, if KOD was playing on more screens. As of now, I believe, it is only playing on 2075 screens. KOD is beating the rest of the movies in the top 10, by making more money on per screen.

CMJ
Jul 7th, 2001, 07:15:35 PM
Poor A.I., off over 50%. Dang. :(

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 7th, 2001, 07:59:00 PM
Can anybody confirm those numbers from another source they all seem low for a Friday and knowing showbizdata they could have easily messed up. Also when is another movie going to make 50 million? So far only one film this summer has crossed that barrier for a weekend though, Tomb Raider came close. Granted this summer is already beating last year by a good bit, I read it was 10% up or something like that. Still, it weird not seeing any dominate films out there trashing the rest, I don't think we will see one next weekend. Final Fantasy looks bad and while I think the Score looks like a cool movie I don't see that making 50. I guess the most likely candiate is JP3 which is being pushed heavily on TV I seen a lot of advertizement for it allready, it was also heavily blitzed at the NBA Finals. And to me at least it looks like it will be a much film than the last one and it looks closer to the original. Of course I have no clue what the interest is for it, I'm sure a lot of kids (10-16 range) will go see it, and it will attract a lot of older people who saw the first two. Right now I think it will do over 50 maybe around 51-54, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

JonathanLB
Jul 7th, 2001, 09:22:54 PM
What?! Are you kidding me? Final Fantasy does not look bad at all, it looks absolutely awesome and it will be absolutely awesome. How can you say that looks bad? It is going to be one of the best animated films ever, and one of the best summer films probably.

The Final Fantasy games always had far better, far more developed plots than any video game and than every movie too, mainly because they are longer, so the series is well suited to the big screen. It doesn't look bad at all and I don't know how you could see the previews and say that. It looks absolutely sweet.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 7th, 2001, 10:14:31 PM
I'd just looks boring to me, plus I don't like completely computer made movies. Animated films like Toy Story 2 and Shrek are fine because they are animated but when you start getting to animated human who are suposed to look real I'd just have problems with that. Plus I have never been a fan of the games they have never interested me. On a side note I think the Resident Evil series has the best plots when it comes to games but that is just my opinion. I just have a feeling that it will fail mostly because animated films for older audiences have always failed (Titain A.E) mostly because older people don't want to see animated films and these type of movies don't interest younger audiences. So I think the movie will fail becuase there will be little interest in it. And sure there is the fan base but Dungeons and Dragons had a solid fan base and that didn't help that film. I guess I'm just tired of Video game movies almost all of them suck and they are messing up the best one (Resident Evil), but that is for another thread so I would rather not see any of them. The max this movie will open is 30 million but I think 23-26 is more likely, mostly people who are curious about it. Still I think the Score is the best movie of that weekend you can't lose when you have Brando, DeNeiro, and Edward Norton in a film together I hope that movies opens at #1.

JonathanLB
Jul 8th, 2001, 01:11:14 AM
Well, the Final Fantasy games do have the best plots because they are RPG games. Resident Evil? LOL. Ok whatever. That's not about plot.

Video game movies CAN suck, but Tomb Raider ruled and so will Final Fantasy. You are wrong that kids won't like it, of course they will. It's not made just for adults, it should appeal to kids too.

The studio is risking a huge load of money on that movie, SquareSoft that is, and I think they will have worked hard to make sure their risk was well-founded. If Disney pours $150 million into a movie, big deal, they are a $60 billion company or something, but for Square, if that movie failed extremely bad, it could mean the company would be severely damaged. I think the movie will definitely be good.

Darth23
Jul 8th, 2001, 01:13:58 PM
I think I'm more interested in seeing FF than Tomb Raider.

Force Master Hunter
Jul 8th, 2001, 08:03:38 PM
tomb Raider was a pretty ordinary game and I had no desire to see the movie. Sorry, it was just a dumb thing to make a movie from. I'm not keen to see Final Fantasy either. I think it will do okay, but not huge.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 8th, 2001, 11:01:50 PM
I guess I really have no interest in the Final Fantasy games, they have never really appealed to me. plus those type of games take up too much time to play, I once played one of the Ultima games but it was taking forever and I just gave up on it. I'm more interested in first person adventure games like Resident Evil, they take up less time to play and aren't all consuming like RPG games. And I disagree with you about the plot of Resident Evil. I'm not going to argue over it and try to say it has the best plot of all games, but to me it has the best plot (specifically the 2nd game) of all the games I have played and like I said I have never played Final Fantasy so I should have said that before that was my fault. I do think it has a very intense plot and is very supensfully and you have to play the game twice in order to get the full story. It is by far the best game in its genre and it will be hard to ever top. The movie on the other hand is going to suck. It is suppose to be out next year and from what I have heard none of the characters from the games are going to be in the film, there is no evil corporation behind it instead its a evil supercomputer??, and it stars the awfull Mila Jovianvich(sp) and is directed by the very bad Paul Anderson the one that did such bad films as Event Horizon and Solider. I'd see no hope for that film and will avoid completely.

Darth23
Jul 9th, 2001, 02:09:39 AM
I've never played any of the games, my understandign is that the movie isn't really based on the games. I just think it might be less predictable and possibly uch better than Tomb Raider.

JonathanLB
Jul 9th, 2001, 05:28:37 AM
Tomb Raider was a great movie, possibly one of the greatest video game movies of all-time (and there aren't very many good ones so this is not hard to say). I thought Tomb Raider rocked and it WAS a good idea for a movie. It's an action game and I've not played many of the games actually, but my friend Bryan hardly ever plays games like that and he said he kept on playing just because Tomb Raider has such a good plot. He said he was kinda bored of the games, but the plot was so good he just had to keep playing.

Anyway, Tomb Raider rocked. Don't knock it until you've seen it either. Everyone I know thought it was tight, except my sister and she was just mad because she thinks they showed off Angelina Jolie too much. No guy would say that. She still liked the action, and anyway, she didn't like AI either, so what does she know? Best movie of the summer and she thought it was corny and stupid.

Paul Anderson? Oh my God. Event Horizon is one of the worst movies ever made and Soldier, I have heard, is ABSOLUTELY STUPID. One of my friends online said it was quite possibly the worst, stupidest movie he has ever seen in his life. haha, man Resident Evil sounds pretty sorry, the movie that is, but let's hope I guess...

Darth23
Jul 9th, 2001, 09:18:50 AM
Ok, I'm not going to point out the irony of you saying don't judge TR until you see it, then announcing that you HEARD that Soldier was STUPID. :p

Oh wait, I just did. :D

I've seen Soldier on cable, it wasn't horrible. It wasn't that GOOD but it wasn't Battlefield Earth or anything.

Jedieb
Jul 9th, 2001, 11:29:33 AM
Soldier was halfway decent. Definitely a wait for HBO movie. It's problem was that we've seen that same kind of story before, there wasn't anything new to get excited about. Do see Escape From New York or The Thing if you wan't to see a good Kurt Russel Sci-Fi flick.

jjwr
Jul 9th, 2001, 03:11:37 PM
FF has a better plot than most games and some movies? Are you kidding me?

OK....we've got this hero(sometimes a dark hero), he has a duty...but wait, something goes wrong and he questions why he's doing what he's doing. He turns over a new leaf, picks up a group of guys along the way. All the while this evil empire that he left is slowly doing something terrible that will hurt the world....am I close?

FF are great games and a lot of fun but the plot is so old its ridiculous. Don't confuse being indepth with having a great plot. Those games are very indepth but the plots are always very simplistic, well fleshed out but simplistic.

FF looks like a wait till HBO movie(as Jedieb put it), I think it'll do well but probably gross around 75-100mill tops.

Darth23
Jul 9th, 2001, 04:06:23 PM
I would think that FF would be an in the theater movie, for the visuals alone.

Jedieb
Jul 9th, 2001, 05:42:45 PM
I agree with Darth23. I can pass on something like Titan A.E., but FF looks like it's going to be a visual stunner, something made for the big screen. I may end up missing it, but if I were going to the movies on a regular basis I'd make sure to go see it, no matter how many chick flicks it would end up costing me.

Darth23
Jul 11th, 2001, 05:36:00 PM
Cats and Dogs lost to Scary Movie Monday, then beat it on Tuesday. Shrek is catching up on Tomb Raider.

Force Master Hunter
Jul 11th, 2001, 07:24:47 PM
I have a question about Final Fantasy and one a reviewer also posed.

If this moive was live action, would it be worthwhile seeing anyway?

One of the things I noted reading reviews (Ebert for one) was that there was a lot of discussion of the visuals and the computer tricks. But little of plot or substance. Even Ebert said he didnt think the movie was worthwhile ofr anthing else other than eyecandy. And then he gave it 3.5 stars?

Excuse me? Eyecandy is worth that much? Get real.

If it's only worth watching for one thing, then I'm passing on this one.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 11th, 2001, 07:44:22 PM
Ebert made some similar remarks about TPM, though he didn't have anything negative to say about TPM's plot like Final Fantasy. My problem with the film is its computer animated, they should have made it live action, I just have a problem with computer generated people to me they don't look real and many reviewers have said that thus far. It will be interesting to see how it does, though I agree with jjwr that it won't get that far past 100 million if even passes it. The problem is much like Titan A.E.(though that was a different type of film) this movie is not for young kids, its for older kids and many teenagers and young adults do not like going to see animated films like this and many will pass. This will end up hurting the film greatly even if its visuals are great. It will get worse for it in the next two weeks with two huge sci-fi films coming out (JP3, Planet of the Apes) both will easily make more money in their first weekends and will make more money overall.