PDA

View Full Version : Book Burning

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 12th, 2001, 04:36:18 PM
I couldn't believe I read this in my local paper so I figure I write it here because it outraged me. Here is the story supposidly the local Pentocostal Church had a book burning where they were trying to burn all so called "evil things" although no books were burned they did burn video games, movies; most notably Titanic, Jurassic Park, and Star Wars! People also burned empty beer cans and a wrestling t-shirt. Now the later part of that is kinda of funny but the idea of the whole thing made me mad. This type of activity is just wrong and it invokes imageries of the Nazis bonfires back in the 30's. It also shows how ignorant these people are, first anybody that thinks Titanic, Jurassic Park and Star Wars are evil need to have their heads examined and second books and movies are not the problem in this world its things like Guns and drugs that cause most of the problems in our society. If people want to have a drug bonfire they can go right ahead (I won't bring up guns for obivious reasons). Luckily there are a lot of people that feel like me around here because like next to this article there was another one which talked about how most of the city's residents were condeming the action. I think this was just an isolated incident of stupidity but it still worries me because its the first incident I have read about at least in this area and I hope we don't see more of them in the near future.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 12th, 2001, 05:08:09 PM
Stupidity will never go away. Cooky people are everywhere and always will be. Hell, just look at the Quebec government!
I think the empty beer can burning is telling though. Those idiots got hammered and then decided to start a fire. :)

Jedieb
Jul 12th, 2001, 09:30:48 PM
A drug burning would be hilarious!

Idiot Religious Zealot
"Dump all the Marijuana into the pit and set it ablaze! We'll show those drug crazed fiends what we think of their evil weed!!!"

Stoners
"Hurry up man! They're getting ready to start the burning. We have to make sure we're downwind!"
"I'm coming, I had to make sure to stuff a garbage bag full of munchies."

BTW, I'm sure you could find several sensible religious leaders in your area that would ALSO condemn the burning. Idiots, didn't they learn anything from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade?

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 12th, 2001, 10:57:57 PM
LoL that would be hilarious. I am sure there was some our paper didn't ask them though. I think its just the Pentecostals they seem to think book burning are fun. I read on the net there was a Pentecostal church in western Pennsylvania that burned some Harry Potter books. I think I have read some where that they think anything that is evil should be destroyed. And if I am not mistaken these same people have the same disdain for Roman Catholics, they see the Pope as the antichrist, and I think some of them celebrate Christmas in the summer time and think Halloween is the devil's day at least I think this is some of the characteristics of this denomination.

Force Master Hunter
Jul 13th, 2001, 12:16:21 AM
While also being one of these Religious nuts as you describe them, I dont really see the point of burning.

Throw it into the garbage if you that concerned. Keep it to yourself. What you believe is wrong is an issue between yourself and God, not the rest of the world. Just put it aside.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 13th, 2001, 12:24:48 AM
Are you pentecostal? If you are I hope I didn't offend you. I think now I want to recant what I said above. I looked it on the internet and it is not the Pentecostals. Maybe certain sects fit this description much like any denomination there are some which sway farther to the right so that could be what this church belongs to or all of them could I'm not sure. I don't know much about them and would hate to generalize one denomination. I'm a Roman Catholic so that is why I brought up the hatred of them, though I might have confused that with another denomination or somebody could have exaggerated that belief to me, I am not sure. So if I offended you I'm sorry.