PDA

View Full Version : What will be EP-II gross in the openning weekend?

yuvalb
Aug 4th, 2000, 05:28:33 PM
I know it's almost two years to go, but what the %#%# :-)

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 5th, 2000, 12:19:24 AM
I am curious who voted for a 100 million opening weekend.

DaBoSsNaStY
Aug 5th, 2000, 02:31:20 AM
I did=)

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 5th, 2000, 02:32:59 AM
well, I hope you are right

Dutchy
Aug 5th, 2000, 06:28:45 AM
Could it possibly be anything else than Between 40-80M$?

Darth23
Aug 5th, 2000, 02:29:28 PM
I don't care how much is likely, I'm STILL voting for 100 million. :)

If course, it comes out on Wednesdat, like the other Star Wars movies, So it would be really hard to make 100 mill after having played for 2 days.

JonathanLB
Aug 8th, 2000, 05:25:19 AM
lol. I agree with Dutchy, what do you want me to vote for? Obviously it'll make over $40 million, LOL. I would bet my life on that, no joke. It's not a gamble whatsoever.

Gamble involves risk. There is no risk there. Scary Movie and Nutty Professor made over $40 million in 3 days, hell even Star Wars Special Edition nearly made $40 million and it was the re-release of a 20 year old movie!

I'm not putting over $80 million, that's just too improbable. Possible, I guess.

Let's say it opens with $70 million.

Dutchy
Aug 9th, 2000, 04:45:19 AM
Exactly, Jonathan. Yes, it'll OBVIOUSLY make over $40M and $80M is prolly too much, hence: what else can you guess than $40M-$80M?

$40M: every big movie can make $40M, so of course EP2 can too.
$80M: especially if it opens on a Wednesday (like TPM) it is virtually impossible since TPM made $64M on its first 3-day weekend. No way could EP2 gross $16M more than that. If it opens on a Friday, then I still don't see it happen. $70M, like Jonathan said, might be a safe bet.

JonathanLB
Aug 9th, 2000, 07:09:51 AM
I guess it *could* beat The Lost World and make $80 million, that is possible, but several factors would have to work out perfectly, and I am not taking that bet.

If it opened over the Memorial Day Weekend, even if it came out on Wednesday, I think we could all agree that would help business significantly for the three day period, notably Sunday. But how much? That only spikes things a little bit, if it would have made $60 million it maybe makes $64 million...

I think it would have to actually open on Friday, right before the memorial day weekend. Actually, that's not true. If it opened on Friday during any weekend in May, it could make $80 million, but still that takes a bit of effort.

It won't, though, Star Wars movies open on Wednesdays.

If it opened Friday on Memorial Day weekend, well, I would say it would do $80 million or more very easily. But that is two factors lined up that are not probably going to be true...

Oh well, we'll see, it'll be fun. In the meantime, there's a lot of other things to concern ourselves with...

I'm looking at several movies this holiday season, pretty interested in Unbreakable's box office and also for Arnold's new movie, The 6th Man. I want to see Vertical Limit, but I couldn't care less how it does at the box office...Same with a lot of the other movies I am looking forward to, hope they succeed, but I don't care...

I want to see Unbreakable (by M. Night Shymalan) be the next Sixth Sense, but to a lesser degree. Like, great staying power and $190 million gross or something. That would be neat, he's a cool director, very talented obviously, looks like a good movie.

Dutchy
Aug 9th, 2000, 07:41:27 AM
I've asked you several times before, but did you see The Sixth Sense yet?

Darth23
Aug 10th, 2000, 12:33:07 AM
It WILL open on Wednesday - tradition.

flagg
Jul 15th, 2001, 11:33:55 AM
I'm guessing $70 million. But it would break more records if Lucas opened it on a Friday.