PDA

View Full Version : Trouble for the Apes?

Darth23
Jul 17th, 2001, 04:54:26 PM
From rottentomatoes.com:
www.rottentomatoes.com/news-8285/ (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news-8285/)

Apes, Due To Open Next Week, Isn't Finished
-Studio Briefing

With the premiere of Planet of the Apes only ten days away, post production on the film has still not been completed, according to the online media magazine Inside. Twentieth Century Fox Vice Chairman Bob Harper told the website: "We were in the laboratory all weekend long. ... We've never done a film on this tight a schedule." Inside also noted that studio bosses are unhappy with Danny Elfman's score, insisting on changes to make it sound "more heroic."

What troubles me isn't that the film isn't finished, it's that the studio execs are monkeying (get it?) around with the movie. If they're messing with Elfman's work, maybe they're interfering with Burton as well.

foxdvd
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:23:37 PM
hmm...I am starting to get a bad feeling about this..

JonathanLB
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:40:42 PM
haha, dude it's gonna rock.

They should not be MONKEYING around with the movie, though. Elfman blows, I told you guys that. Elfman is such a hack he cannot even make a good Apes score. What a loser.

haha, j/k :)

This just proves he's not nearly the demi-god that Williams is

CMJ
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:43:52 PM
I personally don't like the idea of the suits of the studio changing Elfman's music....

foxdvd
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:50:43 PM
well I am just going to say it..>I like Elfman more then Williams.. The score to ES is the best ever made for a movie.

Darth23
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:52:35 PM
:: smacks foxdvd around ::

ES?

I like Elfman. I think I liked Midnight Run more that some of his other stuff.

(oh Edward Scissorhands - never saw it)

foxdvd
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:54:36 PM
YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN Edward Scissorhands !!!!

Smacks darth around a bit..

JonathanLB
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:56:02 PM
Haha Fox I know, and sincerely hope, you are just joking.

ES has a great score (I have the DVD too), but come on, it's NOWHERE near as good as the Star Wars scores. Those are just unquestionably the best around.

Interestingly, my 5th favorite film also has my 5th favorite score, Gladiator. Not so with 6, 7, 8, etc. though.

foxdvd
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:57:50 PM
no I am not joking JOn...I put ES just ahead of ESB as my fav score of all time.

ReaperFett
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:58:03 PM
Elfman did part of Army of Darkness:)

CMJ
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:58:49 PM
Oh brother...best score lists....

These could go on for days....

My all time #1 would probably be PSYCHO, but I could easily come up with 100 favorite scores.

JonathanLB
Jul 17th, 2001, 06:03:31 PM
I personally don't see how anything could come above a Star Wars Score, or at least all of them but that's just me.

Williams would pretty much dominate my top 20. I have around 25 of his scores on CD I think. Amistad, SPR (didn't much care for this score), ET, Superman, the Indy scores, the Star Wars scores, Jaws, best of John Williams (two CD's), etc. etc.

For me, the best scores are the ones used the best, and the Star Wars ones are used the best. The music is just absolutely classic and has made more of an impact than any other score music I can think of.

CMJ
Jul 17th, 2001, 06:05:49 PM
PSYCHO is probably the best use of film music I can think of...followed by the SW scores and JAWS.

Jedieb
Jul 17th, 2001, 09:21:44 PM
Stupid studio execs!!!! Leave Burton and Elfman ALONE!!!!!! I wonder if Elfman will be around to touch up the music if there is any last minute editing done? I know that some of William's score for TPM got edited and looped without his imput because of last minute changes. I hope that doesn't happen with Apes or with EP2.

Pyscho did have an amzing score! Then you've got other classics like Jaws, Indy, and Star Wars. Williams would be all over my top 20 list as well. I was never that fond of ES (Can't stand Johnny Depp) so I can't really comment on that score, but I thought the Beatlejuice score was very clever. We should throw up a top 20 score thread...

Darth23
Jul 17th, 2001, 10:36:22 PM
I think Jonny Depp is a good actor - at least in Benny and Joon he was. I dont' know how many of his movies I've seen.

ReaperFett
Jul 17th, 2001, 10:38:21 PM
you know the dealay is because BURTON wanted to ending reshot, right?