PDA

View Full Version : Anyone STILL not think Shrek is going to make more then 250?

foxdvd
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:28:50 PM
Anyone still think it will not make more then 250 million? ;)

It made .52 million on Monday..bringing up to 247.8 million..only 2.2 million away from 250 million..

If it holds up during the week like it has in the past, it will be at 249-249.5 million...needing only .5-1 million Friday-Sun....

JonathanLB
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:38:51 PM
haha, very funny Fox.

It has shown even better staying power than I expected. It's done amazingly well.

If I remember right, it opened with $42 million, so that means only 16 to 17% of its total gross will have come from the first weekend, which is very good staying power. Almost as good as TPM, not bad, not bad!

Darth23
Jul 17th, 2001, 05:57:20 PM
I don't think ii will make it.

:p

Sherk was number 10 on Monday, ahead of Tomb Raider.

----------

Speaking of staying power, Pearl Harbor is at 190, but I'm not sure if it has another 10 million in it. Maybe they'll do a Dec 7 re-release, though I would find that tacky.

CMJ
Jul 17th, 2001, 06:03:02 PM
I actually think PH will limp across the 200M mark...barely....

Darth23
Jul 17th, 2001, 06:12:25 PM
My little Excel chart would disagree with you.

Things were going better for it for a while - 30 something drops, but I dont' think it's going to hang onto enough screens long enough. Plus a 3 hour movie will make les at the cheap theaters than a 90 minute one.

CMJ
Jul 17th, 2001, 06:14:58 PM
I don't know...a few weeks ago I didn't even think it would hit 190. It has slowly gotten softer declines. I think it will hold on....

JonathanLB
Jul 17th, 2001, 06:17:21 PM
I have seen recent advertising for the movie, within the last two weeks anyway, which I thought was pretty odd, but I was wondering if that might be because of some escalators in having a $200 million grosser instead of a $190 or $195 or whatever. That doesn't seem likely given that Buena Vista just dumps on ABC anyway, but with other film companies there are specific deals struck where if the movie reaches $100 million or some other interval, the deal increases in value.

Hopefully Pearl Harbor makes it to $200 million because it actually was a very good movie, I thought. I only saw it once unfortunately...

CMJ
Jul 17th, 2001, 06:21:48 PM
Well...I was pretty torn about PH but thats for another thread.

Jon...have you read the AI bomb thread recently?? I responded to you about the Japanese BO.

JonathanLB
Jul 17th, 2001, 06:23:25 PM
Oh whoops, no haven't checked it. Sorry so many threads going and I generally don't even spent that much time on this forum (just check in and out).

Just a sec I'll go look.

Darth23
Jul 17th, 2001, 08:27:26 PM
They tried a Sixth Sense release to push it over 300 million. It didn't work. It DID push past ESB though. It will be close. I'm sure they're rather say it made 200 million.

CMJ
Jul 18th, 2001, 08:38:50 AM
Of course...they can advertise that in trhe trade papers. Any time a movie does a big number at the BO(domestic or World wide) there are splashy ads in Variety of Hollywood Reporter congratulating it(of course these are done by the studio's...but whatever).

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2001, 01:53:25 PM
Well I admit it I was wrong but I doubt it will make much more than 250, maybe 255 I doubt more than that. I'd still think it will get passed by one film this year most likely LOTR. There are a few other possibilities.
Harry Potter
Ali (Will Smith plays the greatest boxer ever)
Planet of the Apes
They are all possibilites but I think LOTR has the best shot of doing it.

Darth23
Jul 18th, 2001, 04:50:33 PM
IF LOTR does it we won't know until like February or March. :p

Darth23
Jul 18th, 2001, 05:21:22 PM
Shrek was number 10 again on Tuesday. It might hit 250 BEFORE the weekend. (probably on Friday, though).

foxdvd
Jul 19th, 2001, 01:01:50 AM
yeah, that 260 million number is looking more and more like it might happen.

Man JP3 was SOLD OUT TODAY at all theaters I went to...Not sure if that means it is going to be big for wed...but man

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2001, 02:39:51 AM
I went by my local theater and it was packed too. Who knows Lee could be close than we think JP 3 might make more than we all thought.

JonathanLB
Jul 19th, 2001, 04:31:25 AM
Trust me, JP3 is going to KILL. With that many showings and with this big of business, it's obvious that nobody was turned off because of the second film. Although many people thought it was very overrated and a crappy sequel (I did not, however), it looks like people are willing to give the franchise another shot. They will be rewarded, I think. It was a good movie.

I'd say it was a very good movie, actually, given what it was supposed to accomplish and the type of movie it is. Heck yes, it succeeded.

BTW: I am proud to admit I was wrong on Shrek. That movie rocks and I hope it makes way more than $250.

Dutchy
Jul 22nd, 2001, 07:46:41 PM
Saw it this week and I loved it. Visually stunning, very funny, charming, decent story and great voices, especially by Eddy Murphy, who was absolutely fantastic.

I was very impressed with the Donkey's animation and facial expressions.

I watched it with an almost permanent smile on my face. Only very good movie can do that.

Force Master Hunter
Jul 22nd, 2001, 09:18:10 PM
I've gotta go see it again... just for the exploding bird scene. Worth the price alone.

JonathanLB
Jul 22nd, 2001, 09:41:40 PM
haha, the bird scene is great! Just when you think the movie is going to turn corny and Disney-like, it delivers its best moment! :)

Glad you saw it and liked it Dutchy. I cannot imagine someone not enjoying the film, it was so funny and well done. Very high quality and probably my third favorite film of the year.

foxdvd
Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:00:29 PM
I said before, but count me as someone who likes Shrek a lot, but did not see it as one of the best of the year..I would give it a B+