PDA

View Full Version : Plantet of The Apes: A Review

IndianaJones
Jul 27th, 2001, 08:08:33 PM
Just saw it and...

IT BLEW BIG TIME

It seemed very rushed, like they made the film in 3 days, well thats how the timeflow and story moved. Poorly written, poorly acted.

Only saving graces are the makeup, SFX, and Estella Warren.

1.5 Stars

Darth23
Jul 27th, 2001, 08:39:13 PM
Wow. Maybe that working up until the last minute was for a reason.

ReaperFett
Jul 27th, 2001, 08:42:12 PM
It was because Burton reshot the ending apparently

IndianaJones
Jul 27th, 2001, 08:46:50 PM
Then ending is predictable, and the pre-ending is totally bogus.

5 min into the film I was already praying for it to get better. It did, but only for a moment, and thats cause Estalla came on screen. I was unimpressed and depressed. I thought with Burton behind it it would thrive.

The ending is worthless. I thought it was clever, but it was too much of a reach to be similar to the original.

And like I said, its rushed. The movie is 2 hrs long, it seemed like 45min cause I felt like the story was bing forced toward the ending.

Darth23
Jul 27th, 2001, 09:39:40 PM
I read another reaction from someone I know and they liked it.

DaBoSsNaStY
Jul 27th, 2001, 10:10:09 PM
I thought it was a masterful way retelling of the story, and very impressed with it! I had a lot of fun watching, and was very happy with the ending of its own little twist;)

I enjoyed that acting, the plot and the F/X.

I happen to wish that they would have told a longer story, and took it a different direction. I was mostly happy in what I watch today, would like to see it a few more times:)

btw~sorry if I don't go into examples much, I don't want to rune anything for anybody....

General Ceel
Jul 27th, 2001, 10:32:22 PM
Same here DaBoSsNaStY, i loved it. And thats what counts.

CMJ
Jul 27th, 2001, 10:59:15 PM
I really liked it. The acting was really pretty good and I thought the film was paced very well. The twist at the end was kinda lame(to me), but other than that this was a pretty terrific summer film IMHO. Not "great", but definitely "fun". I'd say this is the thrill ride of the summer.....

JonathanLB
Jul 28th, 2001, 09:37:58 AM
I'd say it's still easily one of the best films of the summer. No Shrek, not even close, and not even close to being an AI, I don't think, but I think I would still probably award it four stars, or somewhere around a low A, 92 or 93 out of 100.

There were a few lines I didn't especially like, and did anyone catch the extremely unintentional humor when Walberg says, "I'll show you something that will change your world"? LOL!!! Oh my god, my entire theater cracked up laughing for at least thirty seconds, but scattered giggles continued for like two minutes, including mine. Oh jeez that was funny, and it was obvious it wasn't intentional either. LOL. I love that. I wonder if they used any test audiences; I doubt it.

I loved Planet of the Apes, though! I think our friend who started this thread is certainly in the minority. Neil did not care for the movie much either, but he thought it was an ok summer flick, he just wasn't impressed.

I thought the ending was just fine. It was neat. What is wrong with it? I mean would you rather it be a totally Hollywood ending and he arrives safe at home, then marries some hot chick he knew? lol.

Estella Warren is so unbelievably hot. Jesus I think she is definitely one of the hottest girls on earth. One word: amazing.

Burton's directing is always a pleasure, I think. He has never made a bad film. It's just what degree of goodness they will be. POTA is no Batman, which is just such a classic film, but it's probably about on par with Sleepy Hollow I think, which I loved, but I know a lot of other people didn't like it. I don't understand why. I never get people's reasons for not liking a film when clearly there are no good reasons. I mean if you see a stupid movie like Jack Frost (the horror version), then obviously you can point to the lousy dialogue (intentional?), bad acting, stupid plot, poor effects, and everything else that sucked about that movie. I mean clearly the movie sucked. When I asked a friend why he didn't like Sleepy Hollow, he said it seemed like it was all on a set and the movie "didn't go anywhere." Umm...ok whatever. Yes, it did go somewhere, and no, cleary it didn't seem like it was on a set. It was awesome.

It always brings up the question in my mind: what movie did you see? ...Or: What were you smoking?! lol.

Planet of the Apes was unbelievably full. It was sold out 25 minutes early or so, rare for this theater when they have it on two screens, and I'd say it looked a bit more popular than JP3. I guess we'll see. Theater count is similar, guess POTA has more theaters slightly.

Anyway back to the movie briefly, the acting was really good mostly! I thought it helped a lot that the apes did a good job for the most part, notably the main villain and the dude who was in The Green Mile. Michael Clark Duncan or something?

I only thought they could have added a few more lines for Wahlberg when he first came on the planet. He didn't say much when he was captured, which he certainly could have, either to add a bit of humor or just to fill up space, lol.

Also, did Thade really have to scream like a woman every time he jumped around? I didn't think that was appropriate given that he had a very deep voice, yet he screams like a frickin' woman every time he jumps from ledge to ledge. That is silly and unnecessary, but it's a minor objection in an otherwise very good movie.

As I said elsewhere, I went with four friends. Three of them really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it, while the other is always cynical about any movie he sees (he apparently didn't like TPM much AT ALL, he is a Star Trek fan, and he is extremely nitpicky; he's a friend of many of my other friends, but I don't hang out with him much). Anyway, Mr. Cynic still enjoyed it, but he just thought it was decent, not a very strong film.