PDA

View Full Version : OT- Expanded Universe Novels

Jedieb
Jul 30th, 2001, 10:37:34 PM
Yes, yes, I know the EU has its own forum. But I was curious as to how many of us Box Office posters read the EU novels. I mention this because Rebirth is set to hit stores tomorrow. I'll be picking up my copy. I'm in the middle of a couple of books but I'll find time to squeeze this one in. I'll probably have it finished by the end of the week. Anyone else going to be picking up this paperback?

Force Master Hunter
Jul 30th, 2001, 10:50:18 PM
No, because I have given up on the novels actually amounting to something I can read without burning them afterwards in disgust

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 30th, 2001, 11:36:11 PM
I'm going to pick it up it looks really good, plus Mara and Luke have their baby and they name him in the book, I wonder what Luke will decide to call him.

Jedieb
Jul 30th, 2001, 11:37:03 PM
Sounds like someone read one to many SW novels by Barbara Hambly. (Children of the Jedi, Planet of Twilight, the character Calista, etc...)

Hart Kenobi
Jul 30th, 2001, 11:41:39 PM
I passionately hate every invented EU character. I've read all of them up to the New Jedi Order sagas, which I refuse to touch.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 30th, 2001, 11:45:36 PM
I like most of the EU created characters Thrawn, Mara Jade, and Xizor are all great characers IMO. Plus I think the NJO has been very good, sorry you don't feel the same.

Jedieb
Jul 30th, 2001, 11:55:56 PM
Damn Hart, that's alot of characters to hate. What kept you reading that long!? I liked most of the characters. But every once in awhile the EU would throw us something that stunk up the joint. Calista, Force sensitive Hutts, Calista, and did I mention Calista? Plus there are some popular characters I have "issues" with. Like Corran Horn, the Luke Clone. I know he's Stackpole favorite pet creation, but he's given WAY too much hype. Every novel in which Stackpole has Corran and Luke interacting Corran ends up lecturing Luke at one point and it's all I can do to finish the novel. Kyp Durron also irritates the hell out of me. They EU braintrust made him WAY to powerful. It's pretty simple to me, the son of Vader should be the most powerful of all the EU Jedi. What Kyp did to Luke in the Anderson trilogy was a joke.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 31st, 2001, 12:53:25 AM
Thank God they have toned down Kyp of late he hasn't done anything like that since JKA, maybe it was because he was using the Dark side and wasn't Exar Kun manipulating him? Speaking of Horn read my post on the EU board. There is a possibility spoilers

that he may die in Star By Star. At least I think he will, it could be somebody else. Reaper thinks it is either Talahri or Anakin (please don't kill off Anakin) I take Coran over either one. I have no problem with his character but if you have to kill somebody I would rather it be him.

Force Master Hunter
Jul 31st, 2001, 04:52:26 AM
yes, i have read Hamby novels. And yes, there is no way I want to ever experience that again.

Basically the EU dissappoints me greatly. There are very few up to scratch and as I say, it smells more like Star Trek than Star Wars. Thence taken by themselves the books are okay, but they simply DONT GET IT where Star wars themeing is concerned.

Callista is the highlight of all that is wrong with the EU - that and the Vong IMO. The Vong are a great Star Trek baddy, NOT STAR WARS. I just cant read the NJO and not feel sick. Besides, I reckon I can do better than half the sad attempts and I'm just a hack writer.

ReaperFett
Jul 31st, 2001, 05:44:47 AM
I said Anakin, Tahiri or COrran actually :)

And Kyp is getting ruined by particular authors (STACKPOLE YOU *****!)

Oh, and the Skycrawlers name is nothing to write home aboue. I liked Biggs or Wedge, no luck