PDA

View Full Version : Bad news....

CMJ
Jul 30th, 2001, 11:28:30 PM
I don't know how many of you guys know but I entered the Nicholls screenwriting competition, which is a huge a contest(it's sponsored by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences...yes THE Academy). Anyways, there's some really cool people on the Board of Directors(like Gregory Peck and Kathy Bates for example). There were almost 5500 submissions and only 285 made the quarters...well unfortunately I didn't end up in the advancing group. I really didn't think I would but still the sting of rejection hurts. Anyways...it's kind of depressing, so I've been blue ever since I got my notification in the mail today. Better luck next time eh?? :(

Jedieb
Jul 30th, 2001, 11:33:20 PM
Sorry about that CMJ. Maybe Jon is right, the Academy is full of WANKERS! Better luck next time.
MTFBWY

Hart Kenobi
Jul 30th, 2001, 11:39:32 PM
Bah, the Academy wouldn't know a good screenwrite if it used one for lubrication. You'll get'm next time.

JonathanLB
Jul 31st, 2001, 02:24:26 AM
Damn, that sucks CMJ. I had a feeling this thread had to do with that when I read the title and saw your name...

Not that it is any consolation, but my book has been rejected three times so far and I'm still awaiting a publisher :)

Ah well, rejection does not bother me because there are so many publishers and truly I feel it is their loss for not taking it because I know the right editor will enjoy the book, just as my agent did, and be very anxious to publish it. The same with your screenplay. Perhaps they just didn't understand it, which is their loss. Sure, it hurts and sure you wish you could have advanced, but it's just their opinion and that doesn't mean you should give up.

Anyway, from what I hear of fiction writers (not sure if this is true for screenplays, but I am guessing it is), they usually have to write three, four, even five or more books before finally selling one of them to an editor or agent. Then, they are able to find success with all of their books generally, but sometimes it just takes several bullets before you get one to hit, so to speak.

Don't be too discouraged, because it honestly doesn't do much good. For instance, I just keep plugging away at my second book, despite hearing nothing encouraging about my first. The time will come, and when it does, I'll be glad I wrote a second book and maybe I'll be working on a third, instead of just sitting around hoping it works out or being depressed, you know?

At least, that's what I think...

CMJ
Jul 31st, 2001, 08:49:46 AM
Thanks guys....:) I'm not TOO down, and I haven't given up. I'll probably start on my next one after I graduate(then I'll revise my old one since there stuff I wanna change).

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 31st, 2001, 09:39:17 AM
Damn man, raw deal!
But there's an old saying I know, and I can't remember where I picked it up:

"Keep on keeping on".

Stick with it dude, you'll get your break soon enough!

ReaperFett
Jul 31st, 2001, 10:07:18 AM
Hey, just remember, you got to that final page, and finished. You know you can do it. You did it before, you can do it again. as ROb Scneider said:

"YOU CAN DO IT!"

just keep trying