PDA

View Full Version : does cinemascore just take the first week or two?

foxdvd
Aug 1st, 2001, 12:32:41 PM
Does cinemascore just take the first week or two when making its score, or does it update it during the run of the movie week by week?

Oh, and this makes me mad..see the mistake on this page?

search for Star Wars at www.cinemascore.com

CMJ
Aug 1st, 2001, 02:44:52 PM
...that it's the the first week where they get scores.

JonathanLB
Aug 1st, 2001, 07:06:53 PM
Nope, it is not the first week, even. Read their information. It's just the first day, opening night.

They go to different theaters every week and in various locations across the nation, then they poll people about what they thought of the movie they saw. Because of that, they acknowledge that often opening day crowds will be more excited about the film and thus may rate it higher than later crowds, although when comparing all of the films using the same method, it's reasonable to say their polling is effective for comparisons...

Anyway, for the biggest movies, or at least for TPM, there are many ways to get the information you want.

For instance, take the CinemaScore rating for TPM, A- I believe, then look at Entertainment Weekly's reader grade, which was also A-, then Variety.com had opening weekend info. 94% called it "excellent" or "very good." Then for longer results, CNN/USA Today/Gallup conducted a poll that asked what people thought and the results were similarly strong, though a bit less than the other polls, so I don't really buy into their results as much, though as they said there is a margin of error and it was probably just on the low side. I forget the exact numbers, though they were still quite strong. Even in the final rankings, something like 1 to 2% of moviegoers called TPM "one of the best movies they've ever seen." In the first week, it was 5% or so who put down that option, but I thought that was good actually. Gallup said "only 2% said it was one of the best movies ever," and I'm thinking, whatever! ONLY? There are thousands of movies, if every movie had that many people calling it one of the best ever...well, do the math, that's impossible.

Hardly anyone would call Titanic one of the best movies they've ever seen, except for screaming, horny 12-year-old girls. The rest of the normal people just thought it was a good, entertaining film.

foxdvd
Aug 1st, 2001, 10:44:35 PM
Yeah, cinemascore has TPM down as an A-...they also say it is a pg-13 movie..

here is what cinemascore has..

Under 21 Male=A Female=A-
21 to 34 Male=B+ Female=B
35 and Up Male=B Female=B-

There must have been a VERY large amount of people under 21 to get that first day score of an A-..with 2/3rds of the groups they have giving it under an A-...

JonathanLB
Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:40:12 PM
Yes, well I guess so, that is weird.

Matrix actually has worse ratings overall because TPM has NO C's from any group, while Matrix does have a C+ or something from females over 35 or whatever it is. I just noticed it had one C group, anyway. A- overall too.

Remember the Titans got an A+ from every single group I think. Funny since TPM had better staying power, it was more popular, and it did better. Haha. CinemaScore isn't *that* accurate, but it's a nice guage really.