PDA

View Full Version : HOLY S***!!!! Jurassic Park 3 is A MONSTER!!!!

JonathanLB
Jul 19th, 2001, 05:09:26 PM
$19 MILLION opening on Wednesday! This movie will clear $70 million in five days! Holy cow, that's incredible! I just swore so loud when I saw that number, haha. That is absolutely stunning for a third movie and a sequel to a sequel that was not exactly well-received.

They thought $5 million for Final Fantasy was pretty impressive for a mid-week number, check this out! It's like one of the best Wednesday openings in the history of the box office! WOW!!!

I am blown away. It definitely seemed full and my prediction of $15+ million opening day was actually right, holy god.

What'll it make for the weekend?

ReaperFett
Jul 19th, 2001, 05:24:02 PM
now, someone said something about Sequels not getting much or something. Where is he?:)

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2001, 05:53:30 PM
That is a shock 19 is a lot of money for a wed. I think it will defintely make 50 over the weekend. Hey Lee might be close it could make around 60 million, he is predicting 65 right now and something around 100 for the 5 days. With this 19 they are getting in the ball park of those figures.

CMJ
Jul 19th, 2001, 05:58:42 PM
Yeah I just got back from seeing it myself. MY crowd was also full(and it's not even opening day...OR a weekend day). It's really gonna clean up this weekend.

It was a fun popcorn flick...but not as good as the first 2 IMO(yes, I actually liked LOST WORLD). I might write a review later...but the only thing I'll say now is, the spino is not nearly as charasmatic a villain as T-Rex.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2001, 06:06:33 PM
How about the Pterdon's(sp) I have read/heard that they are the best dino's in the movies, and how much of a role do the Raptors play in it? Do they have a larger role than the last film? That was one of the reasons I didn't really like the Lost World because the Raptors played such a minor role in the film, I also hated the ending with the T-Rex in San Diego that was just lame IMO. I would have rather had like it was in the novel where they had to escape from the Raptors in the end.

ReaperFett
Jul 19th, 2001, 06:14:12 PM
I didnt like 1, but found 2 fun, apart from the stupid way that Jeff Goldblums kid was a gymnast:)

CMJ
Jul 19th, 2001, 06:15:04 PM
Yeah those Pteredons were really pretty amazing. The aviary sequence was probably the best of the whole film. The raptors were in more of the movie as well. Once again...they were cool. :)

JonathanLB
Jul 19th, 2001, 06:18:50 PM
There are so many absolutely stupid parts of Lost World that I just could not imagine saying it is better than the third film. The gymnist thing is just one of them, but the T-Rex in San Diego is just utterly CORNY and overdone. I cannot believe they did that. It's a disgrace to the JP franchise, truly. Overall I enjoyed The Lost World and I'd stil give it 3 stars. The T-Rex scenes in San Diego were cool and well done, but come on, they weren't necessary at all.

I hear the fourth film may actually switch to dinosaurs on the mainland or at least not on the islands anymore. I think there will be a fourth movie. From what USA Today said, it's already under discussion. It'll be greenlit with this opening I bet.

My audience seemed fairly happy with JP3. It wasn't massive applause or anything, but there definitely was significant and scattered applause and when I walked out, people seemed to be saying good things. It was not one of those, "Oh god, haha, that movie sucked." I know when there is that general feeling in the theater. At least, it seemed like people enjoyed JP3 for what it is.

Force Master Hunter
Jul 19th, 2001, 06:56:48 PM
Man, JPII sucked soooooooo hard. Sorry, but it did.

But 19 million??!?! On a Wednesday?! Oh my, this is going to be a huge weekend. I also noted the tomato meter was surprisingly high.

Jedieb
Jul 19th, 2001, 08:58:52 PM
The running time is only 92 minutes right? I bet that's helping the BO a great deal as well. If JP2 had been only 90 minutes they would have had a much better film. By coincidence, I was discussing the lame gymnastics scene with my wife yesterday when I mentioned the running time. It was beyond stupid. Those are moves you'd only see a man making on the high bar. A female gymnast uses much different techniques and moves on the uneven parallel bars. You see.... oh, oh, I've said too much...
Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

JonathanLB
Jul 19th, 2001, 11:31:09 PM
Yup, that was just one of the stupid scenes in Lost World. I enjoyed the movie overall and I don't see how you could say it "sucked," because it was good entertainment. I expected more because JP was such a revolutionary film whereas Lost World was such an average summer blockbuster, but that doesn't make it a bad movie. It was still a good movie with high production values, excellent effects, and even some good actors along with the greatest director ever (though one who was busy with other things at the time). Still, the movie's fairly average to poor dialogue combined with a really unrealistic plot took it down a good deal for me.

JP3 at least knew what it was supposed to be and that's basically what it delivered on, so I have no objections to that.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 20th, 2001, 12:10:12 AM
I agree with your assesment of TLW Jonathan and think it was okay movie. For some reason I decided to watch it tonight because I had forgot some of it. As I watched it I thought the first 2/3 of the movie worked pretty good. The ending still sucked I did like that final shot of the pterdons(sp), with the new movie I think it makes that shot even more important.

I have several problems with the movie, first there are slow points in the film which makes me think its too long of a movie. My next problem is with the Raptors. First they are not in the movie enough, sure they are very cool when they are in it but they get less than 15 min of screen time way less than the first film. Third maybe its just me but they seem less intelligent than the first film. They seemed to have forgotten how to open doors (there is one scene in TLW where they have an oppurtunity to do so), then there is one scene where one of them graps the girl scientists and gets her pack instead and she gets the pack off of her but the Raptor is still eating the pack. I don't know why Spielberg chose to show them this way, I do remember that some palentologists were complaning after the first film saying they showed them too smart. I actually have no problem with that because it is just a movie and the palentologists themselves keep changing their minds about the intelligence of the raptors so I think it doesn't matter how the film shows them.

I have one final problem with the movie and it is a plot hole, a really big one at that. Toward the end when the boat hits the dock. They start exploring the boat and they find bodies everywhere and in places where the T-Rex could never get to. First if he got out how did he get to them, and second how did he get locked back in when everybody was dead? I read somewhere that it mentioned in the script that the Raptors killed them all, if they did why didn't they show this because it is really confusing.

JonathanLB
Jul 20th, 2001, 12:49:35 AM
haha, oh boy. That is pretty bad. I don't know, I only saw the second film two times I think. Once in theaters, once on video. I'd kind of like to watch it again, actually, now that I saw the third. It is still a good film, but yeah the first 2/3 are much better.

It had more potential than was realized, unfortunately. Just little things here and there, then bigger things, like the whole San Diego BS.

I have to admit, I would love to see a movie where the dinosaurs had totally taken over the world except for giant, iron-clad city-structures bristling with weaponry. That would be frickin' tight. Then the dinos try to storm the cities and the humans fight back. F-14's and stealth bombers versus the flying dinos and the T-rexs and stuff, haha. A movie like that would probably bomb so hard, but it'd be pretty tight! :)

I'd like to see JP4 be another, entertaining summer blockbuster but with some twist, something especially interesting happens, and then the fifth JP film is InGen being restarted with new leadership and new funding, building a new Jurassic Park on the mainland, and this one actually succeeds...at least for a while. :)

CMJ
Jul 20th, 2001, 01:33:43 AM
Yeah there are major plot holes in LW(you could drive a tuck threw the boat one)...but there are some BIG ones in JP3 too. I'm not gonna go into them now...but there were 2 bigiies IMHO. Nevertheless both were fun.

I just personally think there was more to like about LW. There was not a single sequence in JP3 that was as intense(to me) as the Mom and Dad Rex demolishing the trailer. I thought that was a TERRIFIC set piece. I might go into more detail later....

Once again though I really dug JP3 for what it was. I mean come on...I LOVE DINOSAURS!!! Of course I was gonna like the movie. :)

JonathanLB
Jul 20th, 2001, 04:42:21 PM
Wow, I am impressed by the good hold from opening day to Thursday! That's extremely impressive. It's a better hold by far percentage-wise than TPM had from its opening day to the second day (not saying that means much considering it IS summer now and there was more anticipation for TPM).

I thought it could possibly even dip to $9 million Thursday, but best case probably $11 million. It did slightly more than that, even. I definitely think there is no question this movie is looking at $80 to $90 million in five days! That's frickin' AWESOME! Wow. JP still has it.

CMJ
Jul 20th, 2001, 07:03:37 PM
Yeah JP is one of the most popular franchises around. I remember having a thread about that on here like 2 years ago....

We were chatting about BIG franchises and nonsense like that. I mentioned JP and everyone else kind of blew me off because there were only 2 films. Well now they're 3...and it's still big. :)

JonathanLB
Jul 20th, 2001, 07:40:37 PM
Yes, it sure is. You know what JP3 means, though, right? Basically just by virtue of the fact they made a third film, the JP Trilogy becomes the 2nd highest grossing overall, beating out Indiana Jones. The first two JP films alone nearly did that, but there had to be a third film to call it a trilogy of course ;)

That's what'll happen to the prequels, probably. Episode I plus Episode II will be at least $800 million, making the prequel "trilogy" the 2nd highest grossing of all-time...at least the instant Episode III is available for public viewing, hehe. Then it'll be first, ahead of the OT, a few weeks later :)

That reminds me of a funny conversation I had with my best friend, very brief. He said, "Jurassic Park 3 would make this like the highest grossing trilogy ever!" and I'm like, "Well, no, not unless JP3 makes about $500 million because the Star Wars Trilogy has grossed $1.04 billion." He says, "One point...wait, how much?" Me: "You know, one-thousand-forty million." Then he says, "But that would mean each movie has made like more than $300 million. What did they make?" I'm standing there, "Well, the first film of the trilogy made $461 million..." "GOD!" he said, "...the second made $290 million roughly and the third made $309 million." Haha, I don't know why that surprised him so much, but he was standing there like, "DAMN!"

Force Master Hunter
Jul 20th, 2001, 10:39:02 PM
Good grief....11.5 million Tursday?!?!

I woonder how the short running time is increasing the B.O.?

JonathanLB
Jul 20th, 2001, 11:48:07 PM
Yeah, that's what I said! Good grief. This movie at least has enough steam for an entire five-day opening, unlike Final Fantasy which barely had the energy for one solid day, hehe. Dang.

ReaperFett
Jul 21st, 2001, 10:24:36 AM
why does the length matter? WHen I was going weekly, we just looked at the list of films, decided what to see, then found a time. Most did that. Why does length matter?

CMJ
Jul 21st, 2001, 12:16:33 PM
Well 16.21M for Friday. AMERICAN SWEETHEARTS opened well too.

Darth23
Jul 21st, 2001, 01:08:47 PM
Yeah, that's what I said! Good grief. This movie at least has enough steam for an entire five-day opening, unlike Final Fantasy which barely had the energy for one solid day, hehe. Dang.

Ouch man, ouch. :p

The running time affects the BO because a 90 minute movie will have more showings in a day than a 2 hour movie and several more showings in a week. JP being on 3400 frickin screens AND being only 90 minutes long REALLY helps it - at least at the opening when there are sell-outs because so many people want to see it. After few weeks I'm don't know how much of a benefit there is.

CMJ
Jul 21st, 2001, 04:05:00 PM
JP3 will look to fall in a 44-52M range this weekend. FINAL FANTASY was off over 70%. Darth23 don't kill yourself. :)

swooshdark
Jul 21st, 2001, 04:29:39 PM
Looks like JP3 is "human" after all, that Friday was a good deal lower than I expected (I was thinking more in the $20 mill range). American Sweethearts as I predicted opened very strong and looks like it will be no dino-pushover. Like I said this summer has almost totally ignored the older female demographic (18-34) who probably would stay away from Legally Blonde because its a bit more "teeny-bopperish". American Sweethearts fills that gap, and its been promoted a ton. The Julia Roberts/Catherine-Zeta Jones combo helps as well obviously.

JonathanLB
Jul 21st, 2001, 05:39:12 PM
No, it's not "human," you were just expecting too much. This is exactly what you should have been expecting based on historical precedent and the film itself.

The Phantom Menace made $28 million on opening day and never again duplicated that level of success in a day. By Friday, it made $18 million and Saturday it increased to $24 million, so the first day was still the biggest.

JP made $19 first day, now it made $16.2 Friday with a realistic chance of maybe beating the opening day gross Saturday, which would indeed be impressive. Nobody should have been expecting $20 million on a Friday when Wednesday and Friday are BOTH weekdays (we forget this sometimes) and it just happens that Wednesday was OPENING day in the summer when basically every person in the target audience (under 21) was out of school.

I am impressed by the Friday gross. It's actually not much different from TPM. I think TPM increased 50% from Thursday to Friday in its first week and JP3 increased maybe 45% (didn't do the math exactly).

$44 million opening? I never saw it that way. I was thinking more like $50 million. $16 million Friday, $19 million Saturday, $15 million Sunday or so. Could be as high as $53 million or so maybe.

Well, it'll have at least $75 million in five days I think, so that's pretty awesome. Well on its way to becoming profitable, not to mention it really doesn't matter how much the film drops in the weeks ahead because it'll still make a good $150 million or so and worldwide it will make a killing too.

JonathanLB
Jul 21st, 2001, 05:45:32 PM
Oh btw Darth, I was not making fun of FF as a movie, just its performance at the box office. I like plenty of movies that were box office disappointments or bombs (AI was at least a disappointment).

Speaking of which, I'd like to make a comment about the idiocy of people voting on BoxOfficeGuru's poll. Whatever idiots actually voted had Pearl Harbor in the lead as "the biggest disappointment of the summer" over Final Fantasy, by far, and over AI slightly.

First off, these people really need to think instead of just voting randomly. Pearl Harbor has made about $191 million and could nearly make it to $200 million. What did everyone it expect it to make? NOBODY who has even half a brain expected it to make more than $250 million, so even using that maximum scenario, the film made 80% of what some people thought it should have made. Also, Pearl Harbor is a profitable movie! Yes it cost a lot, but it has done well and won't lose its studio any money.

AI, on the other hand, should have made probably $180 to $220 million according to most people. Everyone thought it would have great staying power and open maybe a bit more powerfully, or perform more like SPR. The film made about 50% or less of what was expected. AI also did not lose any money for either studio involved with it.

Final Fantasy, on the other hand, is clearly the biggest bomb of the summer and the biggest disappointment at the box office because it lost TENS of millions of dollars for its creators and it will fail to make $50 million (in fact there's no way it'll make $40 million I don't think). I think most people would have expected Final Fantasy to make at least $80 million, but probably more like $125 million anyway. Compared to expectations, it did the worst with less than a third of what it probably should have made, in most people's estimations.

So, I have no idea how Pearl Harbor would be winning when it's actually one of the highest grossing movies of all-time! Dang, some people are so stupid it hurts. Anyone who thought PH would be the next Titanic is seriously a terrible box office analyst.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 21st, 2001, 07:33:49 PM
I agree with you Jonathan I think it will make 50 for the weekend maybe a little more, it will depend on Saturday. I went to see it today and every showing was packed and most people seemed to have liked it. I liked it too, it is better than JP2 and a very fun ride of a movie, the best popcorn film of this summer and I think with the box office take there will defintely be a 4th movie. By the way you mentioned the international box office I think JP3 will make more there than in the U.S. I think this because the past two movies box office number were trippled overseas. For example JP made 357 domestically, and around 900 over all. JP2 made 230 domestically and 621 world wide. It shows that the people love this series around the world. If I had to guess this one will do around 175-200 depending on its drops here and probably 500-550 world wide. That would make it very successful and I could defintely see them making a sequel after that.

JonathanLB
Jul 21st, 2001, 08:28:47 PM
Oh yeah, for sure. It'll make far more internationally than in the US, which is why the series is such a profitable venture.

It is the same with James Bond. The truth is, if only North America had theaters, you would not be seeing any more Bond films unless they could cut the budgets back massively. The reason each film is able to make a profit is mostly because Bond makes 2/3 of its money overseas. Although the last three films fall in the $100 to $130 million range or something in the US and Canada, they have all made more than $300 million worldwide. Jurassic Park is also very popular overseas and that assures it profitability already. The movie is a success after three days of release, for sure (I mean it is clear it will be, that is).

I don't think there is any way they will end JP at three films after this movie is finished at the box office. There is just FAR too much money.

Should they have ended X-Files when Duchovny began to wane from the show? Yes, probably so, but it's far too financially successful for Fox to do that. The last season was probably the worst by far, though, even though I enjoyed many of the episodes, overall it was weak. I'll keep watching, though. X-Files rules, but almost every good thing must come to an end, at least in terms of new shows or movies (X-Files, Star Wars, etc.).

Kind of like Star Wars, actually. If they made Episodes VII through IX without Lucas directing them and without the same talent attached, of COURSE I would go to the theaters and watch the movies, but really the series should end at six movies unless Lucas wants to become involved in another trilogy.

I think the coolest thing to do, and the most intelligent if he planned to do three more, would be to keep saying there are only six films right until Episode III has been playing in theaters for months and months. Then, surprise everyone by saying there really are nine films and although he didn't think he wanted to do them all (this could be a lie or not, doesn't matter), he decided he had to after the success of the prequels. LOL. That's what I would have done. There's nothing good that can come out of saying, "There will be six more Star Wars movies" (back before TPM), because then people don't feel the same urgency to see them. ;)

swooshdark
Jul 21st, 2001, 11:22:11 PM
Of course there willl be a Jurassic Park IV, probably in 2004 or 2005. This film turning a profit was a bit of a no-brainer given the international appeal of the franchise.

I'm more interested in how they plan on keeping the storyline plausible. I realize audiences will let certain things slide, but a 4th go-around with dinos is getting a bit lame and you could see box office suffer for the fourth one unless they come up with a really cool idea.

Making a good no.3 is hard, but a 4th in a franchise is even harder, as Batman & Robin and Superman IV aptly demonstrate.

JonathanLB
Jul 21st, 2001, 11:51:29 PM
Yeah, that's true. TPM demonstrated how sucky most part 4's are too.

Haha, just kidding :)

Yeah the JP idea in general was kind of dead after the first movie, really, but people like dinosaurs and they like action so that was enough to make two popcorn blockbuster films that have enjoyed great success it seems.

With Star Wars, it's not like Lucas makes one movie and says, "Ok that did well let's make another." It was always supposed to be the story of Anakin Skywalker, at one point rumored to be nine movies, now known as only six films. That is still just one story, which separates it from every other saga basically, except for LOTR when they are just going and making all three at once, which is a similar idea. Same with Matrix 2 and 3, mostly. They already planned the trilogy after the first movie.

Most franchises, though, go one at a time and just keep making until one film finally bombs. Otherwise, they won't stop. It's kind of like a kid who keeps putting his finger closer and closer to the fire until finally it burns him. He just doesn't get that there is a point where you should probably stop moving closer, or in Hollywood, stop making more sequels.

I don't think that point is here for Jurassic Park as long as they could make some new, interesting idea and not just "more people are on an island, more people get killed, a few people escape."

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 22nd, 2001, 12:28:18 AM
I think a 4th film can be done and still be good but like you said it won't be easy. Maybe they could convince Crichton to either write another novel or at the very least come up with a screenplay. If he could do that they the film could at least be creative. I read a rumor on Coming Attractions which I really doubt about Spielberg wanting Vince Vaughn to be the hero in the next one. I think its false mostly because I doubt Spielberg would have that kind of input especially when no screenplay has even been comissioned yet. Second I think it would be a big mistake to use his character (he was really a weak character in the Lost World and I can't see how he could contribute in a sequel).

Personally I would bring back Goldblum and keep Sam Neill and team them up for JPIV. As far as plot obviously there is no reason to go back to the island so lets have them come to mainland. I'd say Costa Rica because its so close plus I would rather have the movie take place in rural locations than in huge cities involving skyscrapers (It just reminds me of San Diego in LW and Godzilla too much). It could work because the pterdons (sp) are already escaping from the island, the spinosaurs can swim, but could he cross the ocean to Costa Rica, maybe its at least plausable. That leaves the Raptors, they can't do another one without the Raptors so they would have to find a believable way to get them on the mainland. They could do that in the beginning, then they show headlines about mysterious deaths along the coast and they are blaming the island and either IGM is getting sued or they want to destroy the dinosaurs on the island. I think Hammond should be dead by this point so the oldest of his grandchildren, Lex takes rains maybe Hammond put it his will that he wanted the island preserved. So she hires Malcolm, Grant and maybe others to go to Costa Rica to find out the truth. That could be a good set up and I also would like to see them bring in Biosyn(Ign's rivals in the books), maybe at last bring in Dogdson who has visions of their own theme park or perhaps something more sinister. This is just an idea and I think it would work but who knows I just came up with this today so I haven't been really objective about it, so if it sounds bad tell me.

Darth23
Jul 22nd, 2001, 12:47:32 AM
This is exactly what you should have been expecting based on historical precedent and the film itself.

Easy to say when you don't have your own guess on the line. :D

JonathanLB
Jul 22nd, 2001, 01:15:47 AM
I did have my own guess, but I didn't post it here.

If you would have prefered I did so, then fine, but I already said I thought it would make between $50 and $60 million for the weekend. Looks like lower 50's is more accurate probably.

$16+ million Friday was NOT surprising in any way, but it was still impressive I thought.

TK139
Jul 22nd, 2001, 01:16:24 AM
Anyone seen it yet? Comments?

Tk-139

CMJ
Jul 22nd, 2001, 01:18:25 AM
Yeah we discussed it some in another thread....

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 22nd, 2001, 01:09:08 PM
Here are the estimates JP 3 won pretty easily but AS didn't do that bad
Jurassic Park III 50,300,000 80,900,000
America's Sweethearts 31,000,000 31,000,000
Legally Blonde 11,050,000 43,430,000
The Score 10,750,000 37,150,000
Cats & Dogs 6,770,000

CMJ
Jul 22nd, 2001, 02:15:51 PM
My question is....will it have any kind of legs?? If it has fair to good legs it might hit 200M. If not it'll peter out in the 170M range or so. PLANET OF THE APES will be huge next weekend...lets see how JP3 holds then.

JonathanLB
Jul 22nd, 2001, 05:12:18 PM
In the face of that competition, Planet of the Apes, it will not hold well. Universal probably planned all along for 9 days without real competition (America's Sweethearts is NOT competition because nobody would think, "Gee, do I see JP3 or America's Sweethearts" -- you either like one movie or the other, not much of a choice). They knew that Planet of the Apes would bite into their sophomore box office frame, but it doesn't matter. JP3 still has Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to run its total up even further, probably past $100 million. It needs $19 million or so for four weekdays, which is probably pretty likely.

Regardless of staying power, it's done what the studio wanted :)

So how big can Planet of the Apes be? Honestly I never saw it as a film that would open with more than $35 million, but I hope I'm wrong. I think it probably will make more than $40 million (I can't wait to see it and I'm sure it'll probably be better than JP3 too).

CMJ
Jul 22nd, 2001, 05:19:50 PM
I'm betting upwards of 60M for POTA. Even if JP3 is off by 50% next weekend it'll make 25M. Not a bad chunck of change. It may clear 200M afterall.

JonathanLB
Jul 22nd, 2001, 05:35:02 PM
Yeah it may...

No movie this summer has had good staying power except for Shrek basically. I mean there haven't been any films like a What Lies Beneath yet, where the movie has a strong opening and keeps on going. It seems like even movies that receive very good response and positive reviews (The Score, Legally Blonde) are just not holding up. Summer is so competitive.

CMJ
Jul 22nd, 2001, 06:09:04 PM
Long legged films generally come out near the end of summer. I know this isn't always the case...but many films(WHAT LIES BENEATH, SIXTH SENSE, FUGITIVE) that show strong legs in the summer come out near the end of July and play through August and longer because studio's dump alot of garbage.

JonathanLB
Jul 22nd, 2001, 06:19:08 PM
That's true, or they come out in May like TPM and Shrek ;)

It seems that past summers have had more movies with good staying power, though. Dr. Doolittle 2 has held on fairly well, but not amazingly well.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 22nd, 2001, 07:57:56 PM
I think JP3 will hold okay next weekend it will defintely be second after POTA. I think POTA will do about 50-55 I don't see it doing more and then there is the question of how good it will be. I think it will either be great or terrible I don't see anything in between for it. I have a few bad vibes about it, I don't know why but I feel it could flop. I hope I am wrong but I guess I feel that way because of the problems they had in completing it.

JonathanLB
Jul 22nd, 2001, 09:44:13 PM
Those don't mean anything. Remember, Titanic was slated for a summer release, there were tons of costly delays, and it finally opened amidst pretty bad early press from all of the problems (but good reviews). Look how it turned out! Wait, it turned out kinda cheesy, but look how it did at the box office!

Plenty of movies work right up to the wire. There are NO problems with Planet of the Apes. Everyone keeps saying that and maybe they just aren't reading properly. No problems. They are just working right up until the wire, which doesn't mean they had problems with the film, it means they're trying to make it as good as they can.

Jedieb
Jul 23rd, 2001, 11:24:47 AM
Actually Jon, I was torn between seeing AS and JP3. It wasn't until I got to the theater that I decided to see AI. But then we missed the starting time for AI and ended up seeing JP3. So AS and JP3 did have some common demographics, although I have no doubt they skew older. I'd bet that AS holds up better than JP3 for obvious reasons. It opened smaller and Planet of the Apes is going to bite into JP3's audience more than it will AS'.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 23rd, 2001, 01:35:30 PM
I don't know AS has been getting a lot of bad reviews and very few good reviews. JP3 recieved better reviews than AS and I bet will garner better word of mouth. AS is not a typical Julia Roberts films, and that I think will end up hurting it. It will pass 100 but won't get much beyond that I think.

ReaperFett
Jul 23rd, 2001, 01:37:19 PM
I think AS is about even on reviews

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:01:06 PM
I was only repeating from what I read from IMDB and the AP both said that AS got worst reviews. I know that Ebert, the only critic I respect, gave JP3 3 stars and AS two, he said AS was not funny and he like JP3 for what it was, an entertaining popcorn film.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:48:25 PM
Sunday JP 3 made 14.78 and according to Showbiz it has made 81.39 so far. So I guess they were off by a million on their estamite, and unless I am mistaken JP3 will pass Men in Black as the #2 biggest opening of July. MIB made a little over 51 million and JP3 now looks like has made 51.4 aprox. At the rate it is going it could very well pass 100 by Wed or Thurs. I'd say right now it has a good chance of passing 200.

foxdvd
Jul 23rd, 2001, 10:29:23 PM
50.8 million I think..not over 51 million

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 24th, 2001, 12:29:02 AM
Something is weird about that, I added up the three day to see what the numbers are and it came up 51.4, I think the numbers were 14.78, 20.22, 16.40. Well maybe Showbizdata messed up on one of the days it wouldn't be the first time.

Darth23
Jul 24th, 2001, 01:06:47 AM
I don't think any board ever posts the exact figures for all three weekend days. Sunday's posted numbers are estimates. The only number that's "real" is the final figure for the weekend.

CMJ
Jul 28th, 2001, 12:20:53 AM
It passed 100M on Thursday...it's ninth day of release. How high can it go??

JonathanLB
Jul 28th, 2001, 05:15:21 AM
That's really pretty impressive. I suppose it'll do between $180 million and $200 million, I dunno.

Jedieb
Jul 28th, 2001, 07:25:15 PM
It looks like JP3's legs have been out from under it. I thought it would fare better than JP2, but POTA is really beating it up. It looks like it may fall more than 60%, which I think it a bit harder than JP2 fell. I was hoping it would hold up well enough to surpass TLW simply because it was a much better sequel IMO. Oh well, it should still make around $180-$200M, maybe a bit more.

Darth23
Jul 28th, 2001, 09:50:57 PM
Mayeb it will do better on Saturday- or maybe POTA took ALL it's business. It made like 5 million everyday this week then only 6 million on Friday?

Well it passed 100 million anyway. :D I don't think it can driop 60% every week and make it to 200 million.

JonathanLB
Jul 29th, 2001, 06:22:08 AM
Nope, Darth is definitely right. With declines like that, it will be hard-pressed to see $170 million even. I mean it fell like a rock Friday. I hope it holds up better in the future. Maybe it'll be like Fast and Furious, where the second weekend decline was bad, but in other weekends it had more success, who knows.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 29th, 2001, 12:20:47 PM
It should still pass 200, it might not do much more than that but hey that still a good bit of money for a second sequel.

JonathanLB
Jul 29th, 2001, 04:35:13 PM
Well, at this rate there is absolutely no way it will pass $200 million. You do the math. The film dropped more than 50%. It will never see $200 million unless it can start seeing declines of between 35 and 40% or better.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 29th, 2001, 07:42:17 PM
I doubt it will decline that bad next weekend, I'd say it drops 35-45%, if it droped 50 it would be down to 11 million and I doubt it will do that, it will probably make around 15 next weekend which is pretty good and the following weekend it will stay above 10, by that point it should 160-170, and it will probably stick in theaters until September and since nothing but junk generally comes out then it will probably make just enough to make 200. I doubt it will get past that but its overseas will be tremendous. Still POTA will drop near 50%. Every film that has opened that big TMR, PH, JP3 all have had huge drops the next weekend and Rush Hour 2 will hurt it.

Dutchy
Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:06:27 PM
It opened here yesterday. It was like "I've seen this before", but it was impressive anyway. Overall I liked a little less than TLW, just because of the "been there, done that"-factor. But dino's will always be very fascinating and impressive. Visually it was stunning again. Plus there was quite some good tension in the movie.

What really surprised me was its short length. I think it was about 85 minutes or so.

CMJ
Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:13:03 PM
How do you think it's gonna do in Holland Dutchy?

Dutchy
Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:40:10 PM
I think it'll do pretty well. It's the kinda movie that the popcorn-audience wants to see. Especially since it has a well known-name.

CMJ
Aug 4th, 2001, 05:36:56 PM
The JP franchise is big there Dutchy? I really have little knowledge about your film going public's tastes. :)

Dutchy
Aug 4th, 2001, 06:53:31 PM
The JP franchise is big there Dutchy?

Well, it's a well known name, plus dinosaurs always fascinate people.

I really have little knowledge about your film going public's tastes.

Even we do, coz it's easier to find a dinosaur in your backyard than to find data on Dutch boxoffice figures. :)

There are charts though: Dutch Weekly Movie Chart week ending august 1st (http://www.veronica.nl/filmchart/) (so before JP3 opened). Here's the current Video Chart (http://film.veronica.nl/videochart/).

CMJ
Aug 4th, 2001, 07:02:41 PM
Now I wish I could read Dutch....:)

Dutchy
Aug 4th, 2001, 07:05:47 PM
Well, let's start with the first one:

"Lara Croft van vlees en bloed"

Shouldn't be too hard to guess. :)

Darth23
Aug 4th, 2001, 07:15:21 PM
Lara Corft's van has fleas and blood?

Dutchy
Aug 4th, 2001, 07:39:05 PM
LOL! I'll give you 2 points for originality. :)

Anyone with the right translation?

Jedieb
Aug 4th, 2001, 07:50:52 PM
Lara Croft's bra has fresh milk for all?
;)

JonathanLB
Aug 4th, 2001, 11:48:28 PM
haha!!! Jedieb's is the best :)

"it's easier to find a dinosaur in your backyard than to find data on Dutch boxoffice figures." LOL!!!! Nice.

foxdvd
Aug 5th, 2001, 01:17:28 AM
I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE "THE HOLE" !!!@!!

Obi10kenobi
Aug 5th, 2001, 07:18:37 PM
Hmm. Sounds like something to do with her flesh?

Dutchy
Aug 5th, 2001, 08:16:06 PM
Hmm. Sounds like something to do with her flesh?

Yep!

Jedieb
Aug 5th, 2001, 10:11:54 PM
Damn it Dutchy tell us what it means! Are you going to keep making us guess? Fine, here's another try:
"Lara Croft van vlees en bloed"
"Lara Croft engorges my little Dutchman with Blood"
or maybe
"Lara Croft blew the tomb"
or
"Lara Croft: A Brief History of Time and The Universe"
FOR THE LOVE OF YODA TELL US!!!!

JonathanLB
Aug 5th, 2001, 11:26:11 PM
"Lara Croft van vlees en bloed" = "Lara Croft gives me a boner."

"van" is like in french, where they have "me" first sometimes, then the next word is "gives," so Lara Croft me gives, but in English it's gives me, then clearly "en" has to be "a" and "bloed" looks a lot like "boner" to me!

Haha, oh by the way, I agree with that statement I just translated ;)

Dutchy
Aug 6th, 2001, 07:05:17 AM
Damn it Dutchy tell us what it means!

The tention huh! Can you handle it?? ;)

I'll give a little hint: van = of, en = and. So now come on y'all! :p

Darth23
Aug 6th, 2001, 10:37:14 AM
Lara Corft in Flesh and Blood?

Dutchy
Aug 6th, 2001, 04:43:06 PM
Lara Corft in Flesh and Blood?

Yes! That's good enough. :)

Even though we don't translate Croft to Corft, but oh well. ;)