PDA

View Full Version : Most Under Rated Films

IndianaJones
Aug 8th, 2001, 08:58:43 PM
Something I've been thinking about for a while are those unsung films. The ones that aren't cult clasics, or box office smashes, but the films that were great in their own right. The ones that are always a blast to watch, but never get any credence.

There are many,I know, but 2 stick out in my mind as incredibly under rated; The Big Lebowski and Beautiful Girls.

Anyone else have similarfeelings about movies???

CMJ
Aug 8th, 2001, 09:03:22 PM
That flick is a comic gem that gets better the more times I watch it. I recently bought it and watched it for like the 37th time and I still roll on the floor laughing.

I think CRIMSON TIDE is a flick that's underrated. It wasn't a big BO hit(it did okay) but I think it is BY FAR the best Bruckheimer production. Hell I think it's one of the best action films ever.

General Ceel
Aug 8th, 2001, 09:18:42 PM
The Game. I wish i could go back and watch The Game for the first time again. The first time you see that movie the ending is jaw dropper, and oh so much fun.

CMJ
Aug 8th, 2001, 09:29:01 PM
I think it's on of Spielberg's finest films...but it rarely gets metioned when people talk about his canon. It's an incredibly moving and touching picture.....

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 8th, 2001, 11:20:28 PM
I think the Patriot is really underrated movie. It did okay at the box office but got a mixed reaction from critics. I just found it a very moving film and very accurate except for the overdramatization of Taverton which probably could have been toned down. But besides that it was a well made movie probably Emerich's best film to date.

Hart Kenobi
Aug 8th, 2001, 11:59:48 PM
I think Star Wars is really underrated. It's known as influential, but not "great." Perhaps the acting was never the greatest and the script sorta cheesy at times, but critics have rarely acknowledged the religious, political, and social ideas and references within it. If shown in the right context, Star Wars can be a VERY important work.

ReaperFett
Aug 9th, 2001, 09:55:55 AM
Hard Boiled
The Killer
The Way of the Gun
Boondock Saints
A Better Tommorow
El Mariachi
Mystery Men

Thats the big seven underrated for me

Darth23
Aug 9th, 2001, 01:01:20 PM
Brazil
Stuart Saves his Family
Valley Girl
Knightriders :)
Final Fantasy
Mystery Men
Money for Nothing
Altered States
Forbidden Planet
Two Hands
Slacker

SO what's the difference between underrated and a cult classic?

Jedieb
Aug 9th, 2001, 01:48:11 PM
She's The One
Beautiful Girls
The Last Seduction

JonathanLB
Aug 9th, 2001, 04:46:02 PM
haha, I don't think Star Wars is underrated. Anyway, critics are moronic. The acting in all of the Star Wars movies is excellent. It's even more difficult to portray sci-fi characters than just ordinary people, and Mark Hamill was awesome in those films. I think he's a great actor, at least in the SW movies, so it's a shame he never did more. Ford is always a pleasure, and he was perhaps even better in the SW films than some of his recent work, but that's hard to explain. It just seems like he was having more fun, I don't know...

The script is AWESOME, the best ever written I think. The dialogue is the most memorable, most quoted, and most influential. The films are like a religious text, only more important to me at least ;)

The Game is underrated, for sure, it's one of the greatest movies of all time, I think. It's in my top 10. I saw it four times in theaters.

Crimson Tide was a great movie. I hate it when people say, "Oh gee, Bruckheimer did it, then it must suck," because honestly he has made some awesome summer blockbusters, some great films in general, and some really lousy ones. Just because he has a few stinkers like Armaggedon and Coyote Ugly doesn't make him the worst plague on the planet, sheesh. The Rock was a great movie, not just for a summer action film, but it was just a great movie in general. Crimson Tide was probably a four star movie in my book, mainly because of Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman, not to mention the awesome musical score. It was a great film.

AI is underrated :)

ReaperFett
Aug 9th, 2001, 04:55:30 PM
The Rocks one of the best action films Ive seen. THe acting was great.

And Mark Hamill's acting was good, except for a few blips

IndianaJones
Aug 9th, 2001, 05:52:15 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't exactly say the Star Wars is under rated. I believe it is the most followed and debated film(s) to have ever been made. Even people I know that hate it secretlyloved quarreling over it, rather, against it.

I have to say that Stuart Saves His Family is another one I believe under rated. Sure it wasn't a geat film, but it had its moments of hillarity. (Although it doesn't compare to the Big Lebowski)

My choice of Beautiful Girls was based on the way the film inspires a comcal look at how real people tend to live sorry and pathetic lives that normaly are boring. These type of lives people escape by reading fictionand watching movies. When I watched BG for the first time, I was stunned at how the film paralles the lives of people I know, and at many times my sorry, hopeless life (its not always hopeless, I have a glimmer left, starting in Sept)

One other film that came to mind as truely under rated was the Spitfire Grill. Wow, I forgot how great that film was. I got to go see that one again.

Darth23
Aug 9th, 2001, 05:57:31 PM
I liked The Rock. I mostly liked Con Air also. (not sure with Hollywood mogul did that one. )

Actually I liked the first Die Hard, most of Lethal Weapon 1 (except for the mano-a-mano end) and Under Seige 1 mostly.

I'd kind of weird that I don't like the genre. :p

Darth23
Aug 9th, 2001, 06:00:30 PM
How the hell did Con Air ever actually get made???

Con Air:
Produced by
Kenny Bates (associate producer)
Lynn Bigelow (executive producer)
Peter Bogart (executive producer)
Jerry Bruckheimer (producer)
Jonathan Hensleigh (executive producer)
Jim Kouf (executive producer)
Chad Oman (executive producer)

I think there are enough Chefs in the kitchen there.

Oh, man, I just looked at the list of Jerry Bruckheimer produced movies. Yech.

Even the ones on the list that I like have a certain cotton-candy - disolves-in-water kind of feel to them.

Clearly this man must be stopped. >|:^}

ReaperFett
Aug 9th, 2001, 06:31:41 PM
I loved Con Air. Steve Buscemi was awesome in it. As usual

Darth23
Aug 9th, 2001, 07:41:49 PM
Define Irony.

ReaperFett
Aug 9th, 2001, 07:50:13 PM
bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song that was made famous by a band that died in a plane crash?

IndianaJones
Aug 9th, 2001, 08:00:33 PM
Steve Buscemi is the greatest actor alive and Con Air is only good because of Steve's uncanny performance as Garland Greene. When I first saw the film in theaters I laughed my ass off when they remove the restraint mask, and there is the goofy face of Steve Buscemi.

Better still was the scene in which the plane is crashing and he is singing "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands". It was the best part of the whole film.

Oh, thought of another under rated one. I'm not sure if it is, but here in NJ I've only met a few people who have liked it, and fewer who have actually seen it. THat is The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. I love that film, and own it on DVD. What a classic.

JonathanLB
Aug 9th, 2001, 11:04:09 PM
haha, Steve Buscemi is great! That guy is hilarious. I love his acting, hehe.

I enjoyed Con Air, really, it was a good movie. I mean, especially the setup for the film was good, I thought, and it was a well done action film, higher quality than most.

The Rock was more than just action to me. It had a "villain" whose objective was understandable and even noble, but he just went about it the wrong way. He realizes his mistake before he dies too, so he's more like a tragic antagonist, haha. ;)

I like that movie a lot and there are some great lines. Plus, it has some very fine actors. Ed Harris is an awesome actor (a critically acclaimed one, too), Nicholas Cage is always enjoyable in action, and Sean Connery...well...you get the idea.

Darth23
Aug 10th, 2001, 02:01:58 AM
He's funny looking.

:p

JonathanLB
Aug 10th, 2001, 04:49:38 AM
Yeah he is, which is another reason he's funny :)